Marathon Weekend 2023

I'll be at MW2023 but TBD what I'll be doing. In theory, this coming MW will be my first-and-only Dopey, but we all know how that goes. If I don't get sucked into needing to do it again, I'll likely drop back to just the 10K. I'm an Oswald freak, so as long as this race is potentially themed for him, I can't not do it.

Not sure what I'm doing in 2023. I'd like to do MW again, maybe just 10K and Half. But I also want to try W&D weekend once as I've never done it. I guess I'll see how Dopey goes in a few weeks and go from there...

Did Dopey in 2018, said never again (my only marathon). Training was horrible, just such a commitment. DH wants to do Dopey 2023 for 10th Anniversary. So I’ll regret not signing up as well. So starting in a few months I’ll really step up training for a decent half marathon time, then transition into Dopey training in late summer.

I'm curious - what POT would one need to submit for the Dopey? I know it's 10 miler, half or full but what would those times need to be to show a sub 4hr finish?

**EDIT - nevermind, just saw the other thread with the times.

How busy are the parks usually the week of January 1-7th?
Have never been to WDW at that time, and am debating whether to enjoy the parks before marathon weekend or after.

I’m in as a “tentative”.
Even tho we had trained all summer and ran W&D, I’m still struggling with my weight and that is certainly limiting me.
I wanted to try my first full in 2023 MW, but I just don’t think it’s feasible.
I am hoping to do the 10k and half as a stepping stone, as well as modifying my training/diet in order to work towards that goal.

30th anniversary WDW Marathon!! 🎆

I did the 20th and 25th anniversary marathons and hope to continue my anniversary streak with the 30th. So... knock on wood, I'm in for the Marathon!

The immediate-post-holiday timing is not ideal but since I'm "just" doing the marathon I'd arrive Saturday 1/7 and stay for a few days post-race. Hopefully crowds will be lighter.

The Marathon probably won't sell out quite so fast as Dopey, so I'm not stressed about getting in... I'm nervous about training, though. This will be full marathon #6 for me but I haven't done a full since WDW25. I do think the commitment required will be very positive for my mental health, after the last few crazy pandemic years.

This is silly, but I really love getting the Mickey race bib that says "WDW Marathon" on it. Can't get that with the Goofy/Dopey challenges! (I'd still do a challenge someday, though!)

I'm planning on being there again but not sure for which race(s) at this point. Since I've gotten injured (again) during traing for Goofy this year, makes me want to double the effort to come back stronger next year and at least do Goofy if not Dopey for the anniversary. However, I keep telling myself to stick to HM and shorter to avoid the injuries. I am also not thrilled with the dates. On property reservations were hard enough this year (and expensive), and I can't imagine what it will be like next year being so close to NYE. So adding the extra days for Dopey might mean taking out a second mortgage. Fortunately I have time to figure it out I guess!

I'm not planning to do MW 2023 but then again until the summer I wasn't planning to do 2022 either. If the 2022 race goes well I will be early in Boston training on marathon weekend.

Still, one takeaway I've gotten from some of the registration issues for W&D and MW is to have everyone you are running with register themselves. Seeing the issues with trying to sign the waiver when someone else registered you doesn't seem worth the added headache to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter