Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I generally do leg and arm strengthening once a week each, then core strengthening 2-3 times a week. I'm following Galloway like I always do, so only two weekday runs, then a long run on the weekend. I will do at least one other intense cardio workout during the week, usually some form of Insanity. Plus I walk several evenings a week. Then every Friday, the day before my long run, I do P90X3 Dynamix, my all time favorite workout video, dynamic stretching made for runners. I will occasionally do Yoga, maybe once every other week.

SAFD:
I actually really enjoy doing lifting programs (eventually....those first few weeks usually hobble me pretty well) but I have a really hard time fitting lifting in with everything else when I'm in a training cycle (which is most of the time otherwise I don't run at all.) So I would LIKE to figure out how to fit it in, but as of right now cross training looks like me trying to keep up with my kids (and starting in 2 weeks that will include galloping across a XC course to get pics.) Yes. I am that mom now.

Unfortunately the Cirque show ends December 31, 2022 so there will be no shows during MW unless you are there a weekend early.

I haven’t seen/heard that it’s closing. I think they just haven’t released the next block of tickets yet?
I'm hoping that it's just the block of tickets for 2023 haven't been released yet. I'm sort of assuming they'll cost more as well. * sigh * I send DH one of the video ads for it and he's 100% in to watch it, assuming it's still running.

I'm in the "cross train, what's that?" camp.

That said, I love to swim and strength train, but with a 6yo and 8yo and the gymnastics, cheerleading, basketball, softball, PTG, Girl Scouts, and other stuff that comes along with those kids (and a full-time job), I don't have enough time. (And yes, I do like to have a few minutes to sit on the couch every night...or work at my freelance job because I'm an idiot who can't relax.)

But, after Dopey 2023, I'm taking a running break. Well, I'm going to cut running to maybe 2 days a week, or only run 3-4 miles at a time so I have more time to do the other things that I like and that my body needs to do.

Recently I threw out my back just picking up a piece of trash on the ground. Went to doctor after it was not getting better for a week. He said, and I bet you can guess, I need to commit to a work-out routine focused on my core.
I’ve been there … more times than I wish to admit. I sporadically did yoga, swimming, and biking (but never weights) during my late 20s and 30s, but was never consistent; several low back issues in the last half dozen years have forced a change. I now do yoga 2-3 days a week, swim at least once, and do short body-weight strength training routines 3-5 days. I still loathe weight lifting and need to extend my stretching before and after runs, but the other activities made a big difference in how I feel after intense or long run days.

SAFD: I've done stretching exercises from YogaBody (found on instagram), mostly to loosen up my hamstrings and hips. Otherwise, I don't cross-train because I hate exercise. The whole reason I run is because it gives me an excuse to go to WDW, and Disney is the only* thing I love more than I hate exercise.

* OK, not literally the only thing. I'd pick my wife, kids, Jesus, and at least half of my siblings over WDW. But it's high up there.

SAFD: I lift weights 5-6 days a week and do hip/glute PT exercises everyday. We just completed building a gym at home with all types of plate loaded equipment so it will be a short commute now 😂 We also have horses and quite a bit of land so we get exercise keeping up with all that entails.

ETA: I do yoga every now and then, but with everything else going on it is always on the back burner.

I sat down yesterday and planned out my Dopey week. Picked what days I’m going to parks, made the park reservations, set some loose plans for meal reservations, and fleshed out my plans for non park days. I also switched my one night stay before my DVC rental starts to the same resort. It felt good to work on that trip a little and made me get excited for it all over again. I’m still trying to talk (coerce?) my husband into coming at either the beginning or the end for a few days, but he’s holding firm on not coming at all. However, school started yesterday and it’s been 2 days of fighting with our kid over school stuff so I reminded him that Dopey overlaps with the first week back to school. Wouldn’t it be more fun to skip some of the fighting next semester and let the grandparents deal with that? I think so. I guess we’ll see where he lands. 😄

I sat down yesterday and planned out my Dopey week. Picked what days I’m going to parks, made the park reservations, set some loose plans for meal reservations, and fleshed out my plans for non park days. I also switched my one night stay before my DVC rental starts to the same resort. It felt good to work on that trip a little and made me get excited for it all over again. I’m still trying to talk (coerce?) my husband into coming at either the beginning or the end for a few days, but he’s holding firm on not coming at all. However, school started yesterday and it’s been 2 days of fighting with our kid over school stuff so I reminded him that Dopey overlaps with the first week back to school. Wouldn’t it be more fun to skip some of the fighting next semester and let the grandparents deal with that? I think so. I guess we’ll see where he lands. 😄
I'm still working on my wife to get her to come as well. I hope she does. She didn't come to last year when I did the 5K and 10K for family reasons and I understood. This year I'm doing the Dopey and I really want somebody there for support and to celebrate with when I accomplish it. I've never attempted something like this in my life and really don't want to do it all alone (although I will if need be). And we have grandma to pawn the kids off as well. :)

SAFD: When I trained regularly on the treadmill pre pandemic, I was pretty good about mixing in some strength training since I went to the gym to run so I fit strength training in there too.

Since the pandemic, not so much. Mask restrictions when the gym was open were difficult, so I started running outside. I really should get back to strength training though. I think my lack of strength training for this year's marathon helped contribute to my back feeling much worse than normal after the marathon.

I know I'm jumping waaayyy ahead in time, but I simply cannot remember when runDisney releases medals. To relate, I'm trying to figure costume as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter