• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

I love the meetups! And for those who have kids with them or just don’t do alcohol, the HH meetup and DATW are also fun if you drink soft drinks or water. It’s celebrating with old and new friends that makes the weekend special! As for morning meetups, I needed a pep talk on marathon morning last year after a miserable half. So @camaker gave me the energy I needed early that morning! I am still grateful.

My ADR day is this Sunday, and I still have no idea what I'm doing. We're at Disney for 2 weeks I think, so it's a lot fo ADRs to plan for. I was originally going to try for Artist's Point for an early dinner after the marathon, but I'm not sure if I should go the following day instead in case I'm feeling blah after the race. I don't know if it's the length of the trip or what, but I'm having a really hard time making decisions.

In theory I'd love to make it to the meetups, but I know I'm very socially awkward meeting new people, so I'll have to see if I can push myself out of my comfort zone.

I know that a few weeks back when Disney announced the after hours parties, some of us were worried that they'd be dropping the extended evening hours for deluxe guests. It looks like they just updated the schedule to include Mon Jan 2 (Epcot) and Wed Jan 4 (MK)! I'm going to have a hard time convincing myself to go to sleep early that night, when down the "street" from me MK will be open (we're staying at BLT)

I know that a few weeks back when Disney announced the after hours parties, some of us were worried that they'd be dropping the extended evening hours for deluxe guests. It looks like they just updated the schedule to include Mon Jan 2 (Epcot) and Wed Jan 4 (MK)! I'm going to have a hard time convincing myself to go to sleep early that night, when down the "street" from me MK will be open (we're staying at BLT)

Stay up until midnight, sleep until 2:30 and go run a 5k? Sure thing.

I'm going to need a vacation after this vacation!

Stay up until midnight, sleep until 2:30 and go run a 5k? Sure thing.

I'm going to need a vacation after this vacation!
My normal plan is go to bed early before every race. Including the 5K when it's part of Dopey. But this year at 5:00pm, I discovered a 90 minute wait for Rise of the Resistance. I can do that because I love Star Wars and especially this attraction. So when I got off the ride 50 minutes later and saw an 80 minute wait posted, I already knew the wait time would be lower than posted. So I got in line again. When I got off after a 65 minute wait and saw a 45 minute wait posted, I knew what I had to do.

Suffice it to say, I ate dinner around 9:30pm, got back to my room, and then prepared for the 5K the next morning. I went to sleep at 11:00pm.

It. Was. Worth. It.

One advantage of staying value for the races is that I'm not tempted by these late nights! We usually stay deluxe, but I couldn't justify it for 4 race weekends...

Oh no, I didn't need to know about the extending evening on the 4th. We were originally going to go to MK on Tuesday and Epcot on Wednesday after hitting up the expo. May have to change those plans. :)

I will be up for all the meetups and DATW. Looking forward to meeting more of you! As for ADR’s I have a penciled plan for something almost every day I am there. Since I am alone and not doing a lot of park time, I have more time for leisurely meals. I like to eat pretty quickly after a race so I do a lot of breakfast/brunch type reservations. For post marathon, I am planning to go to MK for castle pictures so I am going to Crystal Palace. It’s been years since I’ve been there and with the variety of a buffet, I know I’ll find something that will sound good.

I have a friend who signed up for dopey 2023. Surprise his wife got pregnant and is due that weekend. He’s tried to call to get them to defer to 2024. No luck. Any advice?

I have a friend who signed up for dopey 2023. Surprise his wife got pregnant and is due that weekend. He’s tried to call to get them to defer to 2024. No luck. Any advice?
Last year they seemed more willing to offer gift cards if runners had medical issues (possibly bc of covid), he can ask if they’re willing to do that but they def don’t do deferrals.

Like a PP said you can try, and they have been a little more lenient post COVID, but per policy your friend will have to eat the registration cost.

Some people have had luck getting full or partial refunds (usually in gift card form) due to significant circumstances, but it's been inconsistent. Deferrals have not been an option for years, though. If he's called and asked only about deferrals, thats going to be an automatic no.

For anyone watching rental car rates...
Through my chase rewards this morning it's around $10/day cheaper for me to cancel my current reservation (alamo) and rebook through Dollar. Prices are still high, but I'm happy to continue to cancel and rebook until it won't let me!

Last edited:
For anyone watching rental car rates...
Through my chase rewards this morning it's around $10/day cheaper for me to cancel my current reservation (alamo) and rebook through Dollar. Prices are still high, but I'm happy to continue to cancel and rebook until it won't let me!
Taking my chances with Mears Connect. Car rental reservation I had was approx. $350, Mears a whole $32. No tolls to pay, no gas refills before bringing back, and as I get in so late on Thursday they can take their time busing me to my resort. As far as heading back to airport in time, they pick you up 3 hours before departure.

Taking my chances with Mears Connect. Car rental reservation I had was approx. $350, Mears a whole $32. No tolls to pay, no gas refills before bringing back, and as I get in so late on Thursday they can take their time busing me to my resort. As far as heading back to airport in time, they pick you up 3 hours before departure.
I'm just doing Lyft. That worked fine for marathon weekend this year. Hopefully it works out again.

If I were going solo I would def be using mears, but alas DH hates relying on busses and shuttles. We are likely also making a grocery run (and changing resorts 2x 😬😬) so having a car will definitely be more convenient.

This is the first drop I’ve seen in rental car prices since I started tracking them in June.

Mears was solid for me when I used them in January, no issues either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter