• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

Do you mind sharing where you feel the pain in your hip? I fear that I have now developed a hip injury. It started on my 14-miler on Sunday. I started to feel this annoying pain on the outside of my hip on my left side. I finished the run and was fine, but I woke up on Monday with a lot of pain in that area. I took some NSAIDs, stretched it and rested until yesterday when I did 8 miles. The first 5 miles or so were fine, but the pain started to come back and was pretty intense for about .25 miles until I severely backed off on my pace for the last two miles. I noticed it seemed worse when I was going up a slight incline (my running route is pretty flat; thanks Texas!) but did not seem as bad when I went downhill. It doesn't hurt today even when I walk, so I have no idea what's going on. I am hoping it doesn't develop into something that prevents me from finishing Goofy next month.
I honestly can't give an exact answer because thanks to my PT, it hasn't been hurting me for awhile, but I want to say it was sort of where "gluteus medius & minimus tendons" is pointing to in the picture below:

1670530663541.png

1670534210676.png
I love the personalized email that I received from RunDisney today regarding the virtual queue. I've never been called {Name} before, but I'm going with it for the next few weeks :). Can't wait to get to the races in a few weeks with my daughter!

As a side note: I noticed on my RunDisney account, there's no option to purchase any pre-race merch. Is that normal? My registration looks correct thankfully, but it seems odd that there are no pre-race purchase options. I ran the 2019 and 2020 Marathons and there were options to buy a jacket and the race retreat.

1670534756531.png

I’m open to any suggestions and/or stories of overcoming the odds!
Due to a variety of reasons, including legitimate and others beyond her ability to control, my sister finished Dopey 2020 untrained. Not undertrained mind you, but untrained. She ran Dopey in January 2019, a half marathon in September 2019 and no running at all until the 2020 WDW 5K.

She pulled this off by using her higher corral placement from the 2019 Marathon (around a 5:30 finish if I remember correctly) and no stops whatsoever during the race. She shared with me that on multiple occasions she heard the announcement that she was anywhere from 30 seconds to one minute ahead of the balloon ladies and stayed ahead of them. She also went very slow and ran the shortened course after it was cut due to the heat that year, but she still managed to finish.

You're far better trained already than my sister was and you're used to Florida weather, so it is possible.

View attachment 723878
I love the personalized email that I received from RunDisney today regarding the virtual queue. I've never been called {Name} before, but I'm going with it for the next few weeks :). Can't wait to get to the races in a few weeks with my daughter!

As a side note: I noticed on my RunDisney account, there's no option to purchase any pre-race merch. Is that normal? My registration looks correct thankfully, but it seems odd that there are no pre-race purchase options. I ran the 2019 and 2020 Marathons and there were options to buy a jacket and the race retreat.

View attachment 723879
As someone in the communications and marketing field who has a responsibility in my organization for sending mass emails, I am always terrified of doing something like sending a personalized email without the personalization.

View attachment 723879
They didn't have for Marathon Weekend this year. It was available for registration for Springtime and was added later for Princess. Assumptions are that it was supply chain issues or similar and rD felt it was too late to add for MW. And race retreat doesn't seem to be a 'thing' anymore unfortunately.

I honestly can't give an exact answer because thanks to my PT, it hasn't been hurting me for awhile, but I want to say it was sort of where "gluteus medius & minimus tendons" is pointing to in the picture below:

View attachment 723870
I had the same pain for nearly two years. Tried everything from chiropractic to three different mattresses. In the end it wasn’t my back, it wasn’t my mattress, it was the seat in my Ram truck. The tall side seat bolsters were super firm and they fired that area up. Got a new truck and hallelujah I’m free.

I’m just chiming in to say I’m also a part of The 2022 Hipsters. :rolleyes1 PT is going to be my New Year’s resolution for 2023.

Was also diagnosed today with posterior tibial tendonitis. It started after Philly and I’m wondering if it’s a result of my hip issue that flaired up towards the end of Philly because it’s the foot on the opposite side of the hip that was bothering me. The podiatrist I saw is a runner and he was great with me today. He’s hopeful that a round of steroids, anti inflammatory meds, and exercises will be enough to help and I’ll be back to close to normal in time for the trip down there.

Just a heads up, the blog post from the Virtual Queue email said guests can request to join the VQ starting at 8:30am. I believe it was 7:30am for W&D so a little extra time to sleep in.

Thanks for pointing this out! I hadn't noticed this, but it makes sense. One of the things that didn't work well at Wine and Dine was a lack of organization for the early groups. By moving it later, people are less likely to get there super early.

Just catching up on the thread, sorry to hear you Hipsters (that was hilarious @Ariel484) are having to deal with injury challenges so close to MW. I managed to complete Dopey in 2020 with a sore hip and a recovery ankle - it was slow and steady with a smile for me, but I crossed all four finish lines (and I do fall into that demographic! :). And as I like to say - getting old iis better than the alternative!)

RunDisney is the perfect running community to support a runner working through an injury. It has always been the most welcoming, helpful and positive race environment. Don’t any of you give up, you can do this!

Outside your body giving you clear signals to stop to avoid a bigger injury you can power though. My suggestion, focus on two things during the races - the mile you are in/not the miles you have still to do and maintaining CFM = Continual Forward Motion. Do those two things and you will cross that finish line!

Alright, bit of a worse case scenario question: If I DNF, or do not start the half marathon during my dopey challenge, will I still be allowed to run the full marathon and receive the full marathon medal? (I understand I will not receive the challenge medals.)

Context: While I run half’s pretty consistently, I haven’t trained to the level I would’ve liked (Never underestimate the time commitment of planning a destination wedding - I was a fool, but at least now I’m a married fool! :)). I’ve never DNF’d and can usually push myself through the mental block, but with something as serious as Dopey I respect that I just may not be able to complete it. I’d love to finish a marathon by 30 and this is my last chance, so if I had to triage Dopey weekend I’d rather take an active rest day on Saturday and try and push myself through the full. I completed my 18 mile weekend last week and since then I’ve done more research and will be adjusting my fueling for my 20 miler next weekend, but the way my legs were cramping has me worried, and I don’t know if salt caps are gonna cut it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter