Marathon Weekend 2023

Yeah, this kind of thinking is annoying… like maybe a run/walker is also trying to PR? I definitely advocate for courtesy (signaling walk breaks for ppl around you, not being side by side with a big group of friends), but the idea that r/w ppl should have to accommodate everyone else in a race that is more or less “sponsored” (that’s not the right word but you know what I mean) by Galloway doesn’t sit right with me.

Last year was especially difficult the first 4-5 miles with the expedited start. Run-Walker here and had to be aware when running of slower people and zig zagging. Then when walking making sure there was no one right behind when slowed.

There's a super simple solution to the runner/walker problem.

"Walk on the right, run on the left".

runDisney needs to drill this into peoples heads and it will solve most problems. We know people walk several people across (which IMO is not cool) but until they do a better job at communicating course etiquette, it will always be a free for all on the course

Last edited:
Ugh. Scrolling through the rundisney fb groups this morning and I'm so annoyed with people.

So many posts this week about all of the things walkers should do to essentially stay out of [real] runners' way and not inconvenience them in any way.

Planning on doing intervals? Start in the back of your corral so you aren't in the way. Stay single file when you do a walk interval (and we know that SO MANY people do intervals, and yet it becomes assumed that if you're walking next to someone that you're 'rudely blocking the whole course.') I'm sure I'll get to listen to people complain about that at the airport while we wait for our flight....that was the main conversation I heard last year.

Some [real] runners are probably trying to PR so you should definitely not take up any space, especially in the narrow parts of the course because [real] runners shouldn't have to slow down at bottlenecks.

I understand that this probably isn't their intention when they post stuff like this, but gosh.....there's such an overtone of entitlement that so many of them are completely oblivious to. Yes, we need to share the course and be courteous to others.
Runners and walkers both need to share the course and adhere to race etiquette. I've both run and run/walked many Disney races. In my experience, though, walkers are much more likely to be the ones displaying a lack of etiquette that adversely impacts everyone's race experience. To be crystal clear, all runners don't display good etiquette and all walkers don't display bad etiquette.

There are routinely posts on this board during race weekends bemoaning a lack of race etiquette and we complain about new runners and walkers not demonstrating it. We can't really complain that nobody explains etiquette and then complain about posts that try to do that. Granted, some don't do it in the most tactful way. People don't listen to anything RunDisney has put out in writing, on Insta or talked about pre-race over the years. Judging from comments on Facebook, they do read social media posts from their peer groups, however. Maybe there's some help to be had from them.

If you're a runner, run/walker or walker who adheres to race day etiquette, as I know most of us on here are, those posts aren't directed at you. Don't take them personally.

Ugh. Scrolling through the rundisney fb groups this morning and I'm so annoyed with people.

So many posts this week about all of the things walkers should do to essentially stay out of [real] runners' way and not inconvenience them in any way.

Planning on doing intervals? Start in the back of your corral so you aren't in the way. Stay single file when you do a walk interval (and we know that SO MANY people do intervals, and yet it becomes assumed that if you're walking next to someone that you're 'rudely blocking the whole course.') I'm sure I'll get to listen to people complain about that at the airport while we wait for our flight....that was the main conversation I heard last year.

Some [real] runners are probably trying to PR so you should definitely not take up any space, especially in the narrow parts of the course because [real] runners shouldn't have to slow down at bottlenecks.

I understand that this probably isn't their intention when they post stuff like this, but gosh.....there's such an overtone of entitlement that so many of them are completely oblivious to. Yes, we need to share the course and be courteous to others.

The author of the post deleted it, and now, there is a new post calling the first poster on the deletion.

And I wanted some popcorn this morning, too.

How is BB going to work when they need the parking lot? 🤔

Looking at a video from last year, there's no way cars can get into the parking lot.....something doesn't add up....unless the idea is that they can reopen the roads by 10am (the time that BB opens)
It looks like Blizzard Beach hours have disappeared for Sunday

Yeah, this kind of thinking is annoying… like maybe a run/walker is also trying to PR? I definitely advocate for courtesy (signaling walk breaks for ppl around you, not being side by side with a big group of friends), but the idea that r/w ppl should have to accommodate everyone else in a race that is more or less “sponsored” (that’s not the right word but you know what I mean) by Galloway doesn’t sit right with me.
There is entitlement all around at rundisney events. The r/w-ers think the continuous runners are entitled. The continuous runners think the r/w-ers are entitled. The general entitlement I see in the parks where people think "this trip and therefore all of disneyworld is only for my family" definitely spills into rundisney.
But, I think one of the reasons people complain about this so much is that it's way more common at these events than other races of similar size. Rundisney creates a unique collision of different types of runners and like it or not, there is basic race etiquette that many just don't follow. For every r/w person who signals, doesn't dead stop, and isn't 4 across on a narrow sidewalk, it feels like there are 20 who aren't doing those these things. And for every continuous runner that expects the large numbers of r/w-ers, there are several who are also doing these events for the first time and simply are not expecting them. I am a solid middle of the pack runner but usually continuous run. I have totally clocked a few people at disney races (but luckily haven't actually knocked anyone down) because we were running along at the same pace and they dead stopped to take a walk break with zero warning. I also got smacked in the face by a lady who decided to stop then jump while throwing her arms up for a photopass as I ran through HS. Regardless of whether you are running or walking, some basic etiquette across the board would mean we all wouldn't have to be head-on-a-swivel the entire race.

runDisney needs to drill this into peoples heads and it will solve most problems. We know people walk several people across (which IMO is not cool) but until they do a better job at communicating course etiquette, it will always be a free for all on the course
They've tried etiquette sections in the race guides, both paper and electronic. Ignored. They've tried talking about it pre-race. Ignored. They've tried Instagram posts about etiquette. Ignored. There's not really much more RunDisney can do.

Also, RunDisney's stance has always been "walk on the sides, run in the middle."

Runners and walkers both need to share the course and adhere to race etiquette. I've both run and run/walked many Disney races. In my experience, though, walkers are much more likely to be the ones displaying a lack of etiquette that adversely impacts everyone's race experience. To be crystal clear, all runners don't display good etiquette and all walkers don't display bad etiquette.

There are routinely posts on this board during race weekends bemoaning a lack of race etiquette and we complain about new runners and walkers not demonstrating it. We can't really complain that nobody explains etiquette and then complain about posts that try to do that. Granted, some don't do it in the most tactful way. People don't listen to anything RunDisney has put out in writing, on Insta or talked about pre-race over the years. Judging from comments on Facebook, they do read social media posts from their peer groups, however. Maybe there's some help to be had from them.

If you're a runner, run/walker or walker who adheres to race day etiquette, as I know most of us on here are, those posts aren't directed at you. Don't take them personally.
Yes. And I think in addition to all of that, that rundisney races are just a melting pot of all of the factors that exacerbate this: tons of people doing their first race, people who have never done rundisney races (because they definitely are their own beast), all of the options to stop and clog up different points along the way with character stops and entertainment, etc. With all of the comments about etiquette (or lackthereof) I was expecting a much bumpier experience this past January than I ended up with.

I truly don’t mean to be argumentative, but it really isn’t that simple, for a number of reasons.

1. Runners going for time want and deserve to run the tangents - and sometimes those are on the right. It’s usually pretty easy for us slower folks to leave space there, but not if we’re told to always stay far to the right. it’s a grey area that doens’t fit neatly into “runners left, walkers right.”

2. Even among walkers and run-walkers, as well as strictly runners, you’ve got a huge variety of paces and people who need to pass and/or be passed. So you’re always going to have occasions when someone slower is in front of you, whether you’re on the left, right , or center. As the faster person, it’s up to you to navigate when and where it’s safe to pass by paying attention.

3. With photo stops on both sides of the course, sometimes it’s much safer and kinder to continue walking/moving slower on the left for a while than to cross across faster moving people to get to the right.

What rD does say constantly is for slower movers to stay to the sides and leave the center open for faster people to pass. It IS messaged - does everyone listen? Nope.

I would like rD to put up big flashing signs on that long entrance ramp into Epcot telling racers how to divide themselves, whether it be runners left/walkers right or center/sides. It’s almost the end of the race, walking hurts my feet more than running and I would just like people to please stop clogging the course so I can finish and take my darn shoes off 🤣🤣

There is entitlement all around at rundisney events. The r/w-ers think the continuous runners are entitled. The continuous runners think the r/w-ers are entitled. The general entitlement I see in the parks where people think "this trip and therefore all of disneyworld is only for my family" definitely spills into rundisney.
But, I think one of the reasons people complain about this so much is that it's way more common at these events than other races of similar size. Rundisney creates a unique collision of different types of runners and like it or not, there is basic race etiquette that many just don't follow. For every r/w person who signals, doesn't dead stop, and isn't 4 across on a narrow sidewalk, it feels like there are 20 who aren't doing those these things. And for every continuous runner that expects the large numbers of r/w-ers, there are several who are also doing these events for the first time and simply are not expecting them. I am a solid middle of the pack runner but usually continuous run. I have totally clocked a few people at disney races (but luckily haven't actually knocked anyone down) because we were running along at the same pace and they dead stopped to take a walk break with zero warning. I also got smacked in the face by a lady who decided to stop then jump while throwing her arms up for a photopass as I ran through HS. Regardless of whether you are running or walking, some basic etiquette across the board would mean we all wouldn't have to be head-on-a-swivel the entire race.
This, and if y'all are doing the 5K, look out for kids. My first rD race was a 5K and a couple of kids stopped dead in their tracks, even with their parents saying don't do that. Since rD hasn't brought back the kids races yet, I assume many families doing the 5K will have young kids, down to a certain age.

That might work on your local trail but isn't always practical during RunDisney races. When run/walking on a 4 lane highway and trying to pass people then get all the way to the right which may already have a crowd of walkers, it often makes more sense to go all the way to the left. I always try to leave the middle of these large roads for runners. And I get annoyed by "runners" who get caught in the back of the pack crowds because they stopped at every character stop and then complain that people won't clear a path for them.

Don't want to say this too loud, but yesterday by noon, Southwest had preemptively cancelled about 1600 flights for today. As of right now, they have only preemptively cancelled 39 flights for tomorrow.

Oh please tell me they're getting the puzzle pieces back into place!
I've been watching as well. Definitely fewer cancelled in advance right now. Crossing my fingers that continues through the weekend.

This!

Use the same manners you use in traffic. Use your signal and/or brake lights. Slower traffic (me at times) stay to the right and we will all have a wonderful race.

With Animal Kingdom opening at 7:30 and me (should be) in Corral A, I’m considering how much I actually care to “race” vs purposely taking 2.5 hours to run 27K so I can ride Everest lol
You can always start in a later corral if you want to run the 27k faster.
RunDisney's stance has always been "walk on the sides, run in the middle."
Given the large number of Galloway runners at rD events, I do agree that this makes the most sense. If you only give the r/w folks one side (e.g., walkers to the right), it will get too clogged because of the shear numbers.

I have been running races for over 36 years, and in most other races, a runners left/walkers right approach is very appropriate, but rD has a very different make-up of runners, so you need to have more space/options for the run/walkers and walkers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter