Marathon Weekend 2023

For transportation to the Expo, which resorts are "host resorts" that will offer transportation to and from the Expo? Also, on race day, what time do those of you staying on Disney property plan to leave your resort? I don't personally care about getting there early, but I want to allow myself enough of a cushion to arrive before 4:00 am.
All Disney resorts have transportation to the expo and races. I always catch the first bus on race days at 3am/2:30am (depending on the race) from my resort. Leaving early allows for traffic snarls/getting lost and eliminates one stressor from the day.

Wow! Took two days off DIS and was shocked to see so many posts mid week! Started trying to catch up and quickly thought oh, race etiquette... As I read everyone's thoughts I just felt the need to share that we are all "real" runners. Some are faster than others, some show up to walk the whole race, some to get every picture, some to BQ, some will do this running continuously and some will do it with run/walk. But we all have the same right to be there. But we also have the obligation to be courteous, patient and aware. I think that if we all go into these very unique races; and runDisney is about as unique as it gets, ready to do these things then more of us can enjoy the moment, provide grace when needed and adjust our own behaviors. Makes a better race for all.

I was a continuous runner and am now a run/walker. I know for sure that I have been frustrated at others and made my own etiquette mistakes (cutting someone off/slowing too quickly/not holding my line, etc.) at runDisney races in both modes. I hope I have learned and adjusted my actions. But I will never say it was because I was a continuous runner or a run/walker at the time - it was because in that moment I could have done a better job paying attention to others and thinking beyond my immediate need.

Anyway, wishing everyone a Happy New Year. Almost time for MW!

I was a continuous runner and am now a run/walker. I know for sure that I have been frustrated at others and made my own etiquette mistakes (cutting someone off/slowing too quickly/not holding my line, etc.) at runDisney races in both modes. I hope I have learned and adjusted my actions. But I will never say it was because I was a continuous runner or a run/walker at the time - it was because in that moment I could have done a better job paying attention to others and thinking beyond my immediate need.
I confess don't think I really knew anything about racing etiquette my first time out (2020). I don't think I cut anybody off egregiously -- I'm a fairly conscientious person by nature -- but I definitely didn't signal for walking breaks or make sure that I was off to the side. Obviously I wouldn't stop short with somebody right on my heels, but I suspect a few runners out there cursed me as they passed.

I don't know if Disney wasn't proactive about communicating, or if I just missed it all somehow, but I was grateful (and a bit embarrassed) to read these sorts of discussions after the race and learn how to better share the road.

yeah, I have a 10am flight from Houston on the 3rd - if that gets cancelled than I immediately will begin driving. It will suck at around 1000 miles each way, and likely 16-18 hours, but at least I'll have my car (I guess). Hoping the news of returning to normal is accurate and so far only 39 of southwest flights are cancelled for Friday, so continuing to cross fingers.
I was on that flight also out of Houston. Canceled it and switched to the 7am flight on United.

On race etiquette…

I tend to think that most, an overwhelming majority, are aware of etiquette (at least broad strokes that they don’t want to inconvenience others) and are trying their best to run accordingly. The problem lies in the field being so large and the course being so (relatively) narrow in some parts that conflict is unavoidable.

Reasonable minds can differ about whether anything could be done to make things better but, for the most part, I don’t think this is an issue of a lack of knowledge or a lack of courtesy. While bad eggs can make things worse for everyone I think the majority of issues are the result of the circumstances.

On race etiquette…

I tend to think that most, an overwhelming majority, are aware of etiquette (at least broad strokes that they don’t want to inconvenience others) and are trying their best to run accordingly. The problem lies in the field being so large and the course being so (relatively) narrow in some parts that conflict is unavoidable.

Reasonable minds can differ about whether anything could be done to make things better but, for the most part, I don’t think this is an issue of a lack of knowledge or a lack of courtesy. While bad eggs can make things worse for everyone I think the majority of issues are the result of the circumstances.
Agreed - most folks try their best, but sometimes bottlenecks/inconveniences can't be avoided... same lessons we learned in kindergarten - do your best and be kind to others

On race etiquette…

I think that an overwhelming majority of experienced runners/racers are aware of etiquette and do their best to run accordingly. You're right that their etiquette can break down or be unachievable in the narrow course sections.

Where I think things break down on a more systemic level lies in the huge numbers of new runners that Disney draws in. They're largely unaware of etiquette having either never experienced a race day environment or due to having limited exposure to it through mostly small local races. It's this unaware population that can tend to cause issues even in the wider sections of course. There also seems to be am increasingly prevalent mindset in society as a whole that "it's my race, I'll run it like I want" that completely discounts the concept of etiquette. Unfortunately, it doesn't take a large percentage in either group to impact the race experience for many.

For transportation to the Expo, which resorts are "host resorts" that will offer transportation to and from the Expo? Also, on race day, what time do those of you staying on Disney property plan to leave your resort? I don't personally care about getting there early, but I want to allow myself enough of a cushion to arrive before 4:00 am.

I am a 3:30 bus person, more than enough time to arrive, bag check, bathroom, bathroom again if needed before heading to starting groups. In the cold years, I pushed it to 3:45. Character lines by that time are long and probably closed. But many like the early times as the legend goes there is one bus from 2008 that was lost on the drive and was never seen from again.

I try to plan for the first bus so that if I accidentally hit snooze an extra time (or accidentally turn my whole alarm OFF like I did last year!) or need extra time in the bathroom, or can't find something I needed to put in my pack I have time and don't get panicky.
I wonder if we'll get a merch preview soon....
I'm guessing Monday for that. Isn't that when we got it last year? I mean....the cat is kind of out of the bag with the participant shirts since people are already receiving their virtual boxes, but I'm hopeful for a spirit jersey or pullover/hoodie that I like.

Officially, they say “…by Dec 31st,” and I don’t think they typically release things on the weekend, so I’m hoping for tomorrow at this point. But you may be right that it won’t be until Saturday.
W&D was at least a day late. There were lots of people panicking because they didn’t get their expo passes by the day Disney had said they would. But Disney just didn’t bother to meet their own deadline! Hopefully that doesn’t happen this time but just a warning to not get your hopes up too high for this week and also don’t panic if you don’t get an email.

I don’t remember the exact details, I’m sure you could sift through the w&d thread if you really wanted.

Lifted from a mercari listing (they’re asking $1000 😂 )
Dopey looks like it's navy (?)
Goofy is orange
Full is light blue
Half is aqua(?)
10k is some sort of green-y/teal?
5k is yellow
The artwork looks like it's the same as on the virtual event pages, and the shirt base seems like it might match for everything except for half/dopey/goofy.

Attachments

• 0BAEB394-BED5-4406-9926-C7A3527C31A5.png
    0BAEB394-BED5-4406-9926-C7A3527C31A5.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 3B8F7540-A9D0-4C35-829A-454853BD2004.png
    3B8F7540-A9D0-4C35-829A-454853BD2004.png
    175.1 KB · Views: 89
Lifted from a mercari listing (they’re asking $1000
Dopey looks like it's navy (?)
Goofy is orange
Full is light blue
Half is aqua(?)
10k is some sort of green-y/teal?
5k is yellow
The artwork looks like it's the same as on the virtual event pages, and the shirt base seems like it might match for everything except for half/dopey/goofy.
Let me know if you want better photos of anything, I just have it all sitting in the box until I can run the race and earn it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter