Marathon Weekend 2023

The photopass photographers have to go through each picture they took and manually enter people’s bib numbers to load them. This is why you will see pictures randomly appear over a couple of hours/days. Seems like a horrible system that could be fixed with a simple number recognition software, but is very on-brand for Disney IT.
Thanks, I realized I entered the wrong code number (even though it was accepted, weird!) but now I am in good shape and got a bunch of pics. I actually think there is some automatic element to the photopass system because I know you don’t have to have your number showing for the pic to get linked to your bib.

Thanks, I realized I entered the wrong code number (even though it was accepted, weird!) but now I am in good shape and got a bunch of pics. I actually think there is some automatic element to the photopass system because I know you don’t have to have your number showing for the pic to get linked to your bib.

Ever since Disney stopped giving out free magic bands, rides that used to automatically link your photo through RFID now require you to take a selfie so that the photopass people can match your outfit to the pictures on the ride. I imagine this is the same thing during the races—matching your running outfit when they can’t see your bib.

The photopass photographers have to go through each picture they took and manually enter people’s bib numbers to load them. This is why you will see pictures randomly appear over a couple of hours/days. Seems like a horrible system that could be fixed with a simple number recognition software, but is very on-brand for Disney IT.
The Photopass pics start to flow in so quickly that I think this is a RunDisney urban myth. More than likely there's an automatic OCR linkage that happens as a first pass through the pics. Then the Photopass photographers have to do a manual read and entry for photos where the bib number isn't fully visible. That's why pics can continue to trickle into your account for some time after the race. I think they may even have the option to add multiple tags to the pics so that they can cover a range of potential bib numbers when a number or two might not be 100% clear.

The Photopass pics start to flow in so quickly that I think this is a RunDisney urban myth. More than likely there's an automatic OCR linkage that happens as a first pass through the pics. Then the Photopass photographers have to do a manual read and entry for photos where the bib number isn't fully visible. That's why pics can continue to trickle into your account for some time after the race. I think they may even have the option to add multiple tags to the pics so that they can cover a range of potential bib numbers when a number or two might not be 100% clear.
This sounds right and also the issue isn't exclusive to RD, it took a solid week for all my NYC marathon photos to come in.

Also wanted to put out a PSA to be careful with and vigilant of your bibs. They've apparently stopped printing them on Tyvek and the new paper is not nearly as durable. Got back to the room today to find that one of my pins had completely ripped out of its hole. First time that has happened to me in any race, RunDisney or otherwise. It would be a shame to lose course pictures and, more importantly, a finishing time, because of a bib-related wardrobe malfunction.

Don’t know if this was already posted somewhere, but there was a small change on the Galloway pacers with the 4:00 and 4:15 pacers switching with each other…

62C67702-C5DE-4616-910C-98E466EDEC62.jpeg

Also wanted to put out a PSA to be careful with and vigilant of your bibs. They've apparently stopped printing them on Tyvek and the new paper is not nearly as durable. Got back to the room today to find that one of my pins had completely ripped out of its hole. First time that has happened to me in any race, RunDisney or otherwise. It would be a shame to lose course pictures and, more importantly, a finishing time, because of a bib-related wardrobe malfunction.
This is exactly why I’ve added a box of hole punch protectors to my race gear

Quick Question-Does anyone know why the spectator viewing on the run disney website is showing a time from 9:00-10:15am for AK? We will be hitting AK from mile 16.5-17, which based on my pace would put me in AK around 8:30am. If my family wants to watch me run through AK (yes, they do have park reservations), will that be possible if it's before 9am?

Quick Question-Does anyone know why the spectator viewing on the run disney website is showing a time from 9:00-10:15am for AK? We will be hitting AK from mile 16.5-17, which based on my pace would put me in AK around 8:30am. If my family wants to watch me run through AK (yes, they do have park reservations), will that be possible if it's before 9am?
The park opens at 7:30 for resort guests and 8 for everyone else so there shouldn't be any reason they can't get in before you get there.

The park opens at 7:30 for resort guests and 8 for everyone else so there shouldn't be any reason they can't get in before you get there.
But if I am running through AK at 8:30 and the spectator area isn't open until 9 how would they see me? Or is the timeframe of 9-10:15 when they think people will be running through?

Also, does anyone know where the actual viewing area is? Is it an official one or anywhere on our run path?

Yes it should be possible. It looks to me like the spectator guide did not get updated for this year. The reason I’m suspicious is that it lists the TTC being at mile 9 but it’s definitely earlier than that according to the maps.

But if I am running through AK at 8:30 and the spectator area isn't open until 9 how would they see me? Or is the timeframe of 9-10:15 when they think people will be running through?

Also, does anyone know where the actual viewing area is? Is it an official one or anywhere on our run path?
There’s no official spectator area. They just need to be able to enter the park and can walk along where the course is.

And I have freaking COVID. I have not had it once this entire pandemic. I am so upset right now y’all </3
I am so sorry this happened; what horrible timing! Missing the races after all the training and missing a cruise. That totally sucks! I hope it ends up being very mild and you can get on a cruise soon! Feel better!
I’m sure I’ll continue to be a lurker because I enjoy this community so much, but I think it’s time to take a step back from posting for a while.
Sorry to hear you will be stepping back from posting, you are a great contributor to this community. Hope e see you again in the future!

I for one loved the temps this morning. Yes it was too cold in the corrals, but once out on the course I was loving life! Had a really nice time running with my DD today. We took It pretty easy in the first half, got a few pictures and made a few stops along the way. Yet in the second half picked it up s little. Very happy with the overall effort and time with my daughter!

Congrats to all who got out there today! One race to go - Dopey’s, we are almost halfway done! :)

So many highlights from this morning, but best was maybe celebrity spotting of Running Jack Sparrow as he passed me around mile 11
We must have been pretty close to each other. He passed me around mile 11 too.

You could definitely feel the temp drop just before sunrise. It was pretty comfortable for me in leggings and the race shirt at the start but about mile 8-9 it got cold. I noticed that suddenly I could see everyone's breath. By the end I had lost feeling in my fingers so getting my bib unclipped to see the gear check number took a minute. So glad I dropped a sweater into my gear bag!

Tomorrow doesn't look as chilly and it will warm up quickly. I'm just going to layer up in the morning and may even run in my throwaway sweater for a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter