Marathon Weekend 2023

I need a good recap but that might need to wait. Goal number 1 was to not be destroyed even if I did nit finish (suffering through injuries from last year. Goal number 2 was a time goal. At the half I knew my time goal was unreachable but was still on track with goal number 1. That lasted to mile 17.5, then my knee gave me the finger and my mind was telling me make good choices. At mile 20 I considered calling it to keep my goal possible, but instead slowed down took an extended walk and tried to see if I could finish without crashing out on goal 1.

At mile 22 @camaker caught me. He was doing a different interval then me (mine were just about trash) so I did his with him. We talked about vacations and dogs. We did his intervals and he brought me home to finish that marathon. Thank you so much @camaker. I will let you all know tomorrow how that goal is going. I definitely feel better than last year but not sure if I hit my goal yet. Still holding out hope.
Thank you, @garneska! I have no doubt you would've pushed through to the finish, regardless! It definitely helped me, too, as I was starting to wear down a bit by that point. I think I only asked you "are we there yet?" once.

There's not much to really report on my race. I came into the weekend pretty undertrained due my tibialis issue and my primary goal was to complete the races without the issue flaring up. I still don't know what's causing the issue, only that it seems to be pace-sensitive and I can manage it by cutting ~2 min/mi off my pace. The good news is that I was able to manage my pacing and didn't run into any flare-ups with the leg. So, show up and complete 4 races running slowly. Check. Mischief managed.

As far as the weather goes, today was probably the best of the bunch for me. I also got my wardrobe choice right this morning. Shorts along with a SS dry-fit shirt over one of the LS race shirts. It was a little cool at the start, but as it warmed up I stopped leaving AK and shed the LS shirt. Shame to toss one of the race shirts, but as many as I've got at this point today was probably one more wearing that the shirt would've ended up getting.

I wasn't planning on finishing today but I never saw a good place to drop out so I just kept going, waiting to get swept. I ended up finishing at the same time as the balloon ladies. They caught up to me just in time for us to cross the finish line together, haha. I am going to hurt tomorrow; I was really in no condition to run that far.
Wow! Was wondering what you decided to do. You really earned your medal. Congrats!

I need a good recap but that might need to wait. Goal number 1 was to not be destroyed even if I did nit finish (suffering through injuries from last year. Goal number 2 was a time goal. At the half I knew my time goal was unreachable but was still on track with goal number 1. That lasted to mile 17.5, then my knee gave me the finger and my mind was telling me make good choices. At mile 20 I considered calling it to keep my goal possible, but instead slowed down took an extended walk and tried to see if I could finish without crashing out on goal 1.

At mile 22 @camaker caught me. He was doing a different interval then me (mine were just about trash) so I did his with him. We talked about vacations and dogs. We did his intervals and he brought me home to finish that marathon. Thank you so much @camaker. I will let you all know tomorrow how that goal is going. I definitely feel better than last year but not sure if I hit my goal yet. Still holding out hope.
Sorry your knee acted up, but glad @camaker was able to help. He is a wonderful encourager! It was good to see you all this weekend!

I wasn't planning on finishing today but I never saw a good place to drop out so I just kept going, waiting to get swept. I ended up finishing at the same time as the balloon ladies. They caught up to me just in time for us to cross the finish line together, haha. I am going to hurt tomorrow; I was really in no condition to run that far.
That actually sounds like a really cool pic!

First dopey, first marathon in the bag. Shocked I made it after the lack of sleep (not for lack of trying; was in bed by 7 every night and riddled with anxiety). Managed to go a bit faster than I thought I would by being part of the 6:15 group for a stretch (pacer was awesome, so motivating!!)

Deliriously happy and very much in pain everywhere but wow. We did that!!

Today was basically perfect! I more or less stuck with my (temp-adjusted) pacing plan —and hit all my goals!

This was my second marathon. I broke last year’s (injured) PR of 6:23 with a 4:55:48 — almost 90 minutes better! I hit the halfway mark at 2:29:33, so my second half was faster than my first. I also made my goal of a sub-5!!!

I started to feel a little queasy and faint at about 26.1 (26.3 by my watch). But as I could see the finish line at that point, adrenaline and force of will carried me across the finish.

And I stopped for pics with Meeko, Monterey Jack, Launchpad McQuack, and Darkwing Duck! (And I also stopped to pee 6 or 7 times. Gotta figure that out for future!)

If you told me a year ago, or even 6 months ago, I would not have believed I could do this. What a great year, and what a great race!

what a great race today and what a great Dopey! I echo everything that already been said about the crowds and the CMs. Since I knew this would be my second and last Dopey (I know - famous last words) and my last Disney Marathon for the foreseeable future, my goal was to soak it up and have fun.

- ride Everest. Done.
- Stop at every photo stop I wanted to - done. I will need to count how many

- beat last year’s time of 6:32. I injured myself at MK last year and had to slow down and skip all photo stops. This year I finished in 6:20 while stopping for pictures and riding Everest. I entered Epcot on pace for sub-6 but opted to stop for a beer and walk to the finish and simply enjoy myself (I did sprit the last .2 while trying not to spill my beer - that wasn’t a total success)

Happy I got to meet some of you in person briefly this morning. The support on this board is incredible and helped me get through back to back Dopeys. I’m sure I’ll drop in the the 2024 thread from time to time if I can handle the FOMO.

Off to Epcot now and a celebration dinner at Space 220.

Safe travels home everyone!
Marty

Hi all!
Congrats to all runners no matter the mileage! Every mile is magical! Anyone know how or who to contact for pics not showing up on Disney photo pass. The only shot I wanted ( and stopped for) was the castle that hasn't appeared yet. Got my finish line (one shot) and a few from throughout the run, but castle is still missing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter