Marathon Weekend 2024

So as we've established I'm a complete newbie to all this but so overwhelmed and excited!

I'm travelling from the UK so flying in and trying to work out WHEN to fly in?! I'm guessing I'll be completely shattered after the Sunday 26.2 and will just want to crash will my legs even work the next day to walk around the parks?! So I was thinking of going Thursday - Monday or Friday - Tuesday.

Also - accommodation for travelling solo - do you find a disboard buddy to bunk with?! I am so in over my head, aren't I?! :duck:I don't have DVC membership... oh god haha!
Walking around the parks is the best recovery for your legs (standing in line though…not so much, so either pay for Genie+ or pick a park you’re content to mostly just wander around in)

I’ve done all my race weekends solo, usually staying value or discounted moderate (Coronado Springs is peaceful, and does have the largest hot tub on Disney property)

Can you use a passholder discount on preorder merch? (I feel like this has come up before but I couldn't find it; sorry for the repetition.)

So... No. You cannot when ordering. For Princess this was a big issue. In the preorder announcement it said they would retroactively apply the discount. Nobody was able to actually get that to work at the expo. I don't believe they have since included that wording.
Springtime had the same wording which I thought was interesting as discounts were never offered before….

Interesting to see the wording was used at Princess but never happened

Anyone have a screenshot of the springtime post saying passholders would be reimbursed their discount so I have receipts (not that I wasn’t going to pre order regardless)

I was walking/partially limping after my very first half marathon over a half mile down an endless hallway. It actually made me giggle how absurdly long those hallways are!

Pro tip: We're owners at AKV and often it's a shorter walk to pop down to ground level and cut through the parking garage or the pool at Kidani.

We stayed at Kidani this year for MW. Of course our room was in the very back of the resort. There were a few other runners back there also. It was funny bumping into them making the walk back and forth to the lobby. It was a slow walk. LOL.

While it was a really nice resort and having the animals outside our window was awesome, the distance between the lobby and our room was a killer. Also, I missed having a true food court as an option. We drove over to Jambo a couple of times to hit the quick service food place by the pool. After the marathon, I decided to go back to my room late afternoon. I had zero desire to drive back over to Jambo again and make that walk through to the restaurant. I ended up buying frozen burritos from the lobby gift shop and cooking them in the microwave in my room. LOL. I think for 2024 we are going to try for Port Orleans Riverside again. It worked out so well in 2022. Close to Epcot and good food court.
We stayed at Jambo and got some Disney Magic with an upgraded Savanah view right above the lobby. Awesome views and close to bus. It was beyond perfect
Club runDisney very quietly updated their website

https://www.rundisney.com/club-rundisney/

View attachment 752863
That’s very expensive. I might let this membership lapse. Calculating platinum at $959 and Dopey at roughly $680 wouldn’t it be better to run for a charity and kids that would benefit more than Disney?

Last edited:
So as we've established I'm a complete newbie to all this but so overwhelmed and excited!

I'm travelling from the UK so flying in and trying to work out WHEN to fly in?! I'm guessing I'll be completely shattered after the Sunday 26.2 and will just want to crash will my legs even work the next day to walk around the parks?! So I was thinking of going Thursday - Monday or Friday - Tuesday.

Also - accommodation for travelling solo - do you find a disboard buddy to bunk with?! I am so in over my head, aren't I?! :duck:I don't have DVC membership... oh god haha!

The best I ever felt after a marathon was when I stayed on my feet all day at Disney. I finished the full and then did open to close at Epcot. At the end of the day I had 77,901 steps covering 46.6 miles and Monday I didn't feel any more sore than I do after a 10 mile workout.

Contrast that with my 2011 full at Disney which was run when I was younger and at very close to the same speed. I walked around for a bit then chilled at the hotel. That Monday we did Epcot and every step hurt.

I echo staying moving after the marathon is most important! I hit just over 70k steps, I had a nice long bath after the marathon and then hit the parks. My legs were not tired...but my body was sure tired from 16 hours of sleep for the entire Dopey Challenge. I flew home on Tuesday and that was fine. It was nice having Monday to leisurely do the parks, I actually did After Hours at MK on Monday night which I sort of regretted because I was pretty ready to go home at that point, and had already done all the rides earlier in my trip (it would have been a more fun event if I had just come in for the races and hadn't had so much park time pre-races). I like to have more buffer room with travel though, so assuming you are just doing the marathon, flying in on Thursday gives you more flexibility if you can't fly out until say Friday night for some reason and then you can still make the expo on Saturday. So my recommendation is Thursday to Tuesday if you can swing it :rotfl:

I echo staying moving after the marathon is most important! I hit just over 70k steps, I had a nice long bath after the marathon and then hit the parks. My legs were not tired...but my body was sure tired from 16 hours of sleep for the entire Dopey Challenge. I flew home on Tuesday and that was fine. It was nice having Monday to leisurely do the parks, I actually did After Hours at MK on Monday night which I sort of regretted because I was pretty ready to go home at that point, and had already done all the rides earlier in my trip (it would have been a more fun event if I had just come in for the races and hadn't had so much park time pre-races). I like to have more buffer room with travel though, so assuming you are just doing the marathon, flying in on Thursday gives you more flexibility if you can't fly out until say Friday night for some reason and then you can still make the expo on Saturday. So my recommendation is Thursday to Tuesday if you can swing it :rotfl:

I'm concerned about my wife, and everyone who's part of Club 71 (or whatever we're calling the Dopey to Dumbo). 4 days to recover is going to be very very short, and a lot of us are going to go straight from Orlando to Anaheim. It's going to be a lot of Disney, and thereby, a lot of walking in 12ish days.

I'm concerned about my wife, and everyone who's part of Club 71 (or whatever we're calling the Dopey to Dumbo). 4 days to recover is going to be very very short, and a lot of us are going to go straight from Orlando to Anaheim. It's going to be a lot of Disney, and thereby, a lot of walking in 12ish days.
Training is going to be so key. I have a standing desk so maybe I will try and do more standing in the months leading up. I didn’t take Dopey super seriously because I ran a marathon three months prior and figured I could just coast on my fitness level. (I did a few long runs and back to backs between, but definitely wasn’t doing every run in the plan.) I will try and take things easier as well. I mostly ran all four races this year but with Dopey to Dumbo I will try to do more walking, at least for the 5k and 10k. But I always get carried away so we’ll see! I do find I recover fast when I treat the races like training runs instead of races. It’s amazing what even slowing down by a minute or two per mile makes. I’m going straight to Anaheim after, I may need to look into compression socks for that flight. I’ll be working during the week so not a ton of park time but hopefully it helps me loosen up a bit to head in for the evenings. It will definitely be a record two weeks of steps for me!

I am very far behind on reading posts, but I just realized that it was SS weekend. For anyone going to the expo: A friend ran her first rD race on PW, and had a fantastic time. She did the half, and absolutely loved it. When she got home, she couldn’t find the rD tank that she thought she’d bought. It was one of the generic black and blue women’s tank tops that say “Every Mile is Magic.” She wears an XL. If anyone is going to the expo, and can get one for her, please let me know. She (or I, if you prefer) will Venmo you for the cost of the shirt and postage. Thank you!
ETA: It says that on the back. The front says “rD,” and has Mickey on it, as I recall.

Last edited:
EEEP! Just booked our flights. Our original plan was to fly out of one of the smaller airports that are <30min from home. Grand Rapids is usually less for flights, but then we have to pay for parking, which eats up savings, AND we still have a 2+ hour drive home, so we don't feel like it's really worth it. But this morning I got a flight alert that my less expensive local flight had gone up, so I started looking at Detroit again. And flights there for Sunday-Tuesday were about 40% less than last time I had looked (AND we could both fly for what one ticket locally would have cost), so we are going to make the lengthy drive down there for MW.

Last edited:
EEEP! Just booked our flights. Our original plan was to fly out of one of the smaller airports that are <30min from home. Grand Rapids is usually less for flights, but then we have to pay for parking, which eats up savings, AND we still have a 2+ hour drive home, so we don't feel like it's really worth it. But this morning I got a flight alert that my less expensive local flight had gone up, so I started looking at Detroit again. And flights there for Sunday-Tuesday were about 40% less than last time I had looked (AND we could both fly for what one ticket locally would have cost), so we are going to make the lengthy drive down there for MW.
40% less!?! Gonna have to look. We usually fly out of Detroit anyway, and have not got tickets yet.

Jut looked at flights out of Houston. Southwest doesn't have the dates open yet. United is around $550 round trip range. Going to wait to see what Southwest rates are when they open up next month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter