Marathon Weekend 2024

So I am thinking I need to go outside and yell at the neighborhood kids to stay off my lawn right after I share these thoughts about the medals…

I don’t dislike them, but like the past couple years it feels like runDisney is trying too hard. The medals are just a bit too much. I really like the more simplistic designs. And as others have said, I would like to see more metal on the medal. I can’t really see the size but they look like they will be really big. And the medals have really been growing the past few years.

So am I running the races - yes. Will I be happy to receive the medals - yes. Will I wear it in the park - yes. Will I take them home and hang them on my medal rack - yes. But do I wish they were a bit smaller and had more of the classic look - yes.

Are those darn kids on my lawn again…. Yes! 🤣

HOW are people managing to sell them on eBay as of late?!
I like Mercari the best for buying/selling stuff.
I have had horrible selling experiences on both Ebay and Mercari, sadly. Ebay is geared entirely toward power sellers, so unless you pay to boost, your listings don't get seen.

Mercari is fine in terms of visibility, but do NOT use their print-and-ship! I did that with a popcorn bucket last year and when the recipient tried to reroute the package to a pick-up location instead of her home, it ended up being returned. But instead of coming to me, it went to Mercari HQ in California where they LOST IT for two full months. I did eventually get it back, long after hype for the bucket had waned. I successfully argued for a refund, and even though the original transaction was canceled, they ended up giving me the original sale price back, minus shipping. The whole ordeal took about six months and I had to message them about once a week to keep the ticket active.

I like the medals! I'm a bit disappointed I won't be getting the marathon medal, but won't miss Goofy and Dopey. I agree that they seem to be trying too hard and overdesigning the last few years. VERY much looking forward to seeing the DL medals and C2C!

Also my ebay take is that I think people who would be spending a lot of money on medals there are instead just going the virtual route 🤷‍♂️. The prices people were willing to pay for some of these were insane for awhile, feels crazy that you could more than pay off race registration, had me very tempted with Dopey 2022.
That was my initial thought, but when I searched the sold listings, there were plenty of the same medals selling. I think eBay is now just totally stacked against the small, occasional seller like me. Which is a real bummer, because I don’t care to keep 90% of my medals and loved selling and giving that money to charity.

The half is definitely my favorite medal so I'm glad I'm getting that. I like the 5K and marathon too, but I'm doing the 5K virtually and the marathon not at all. I kind of hate the 10K. Too much orange and too childish looking for my taste.

My biggest complaint is that I wish they were all the same shape. I feel like these don't look like a cohesive set.

Can't wait to see the DL medals!

SAFD- no fall race for me this year. I hate training in the summer so fall races aren't usually a thing for me. I sometimes do the Cow Harbor 10K which is a local race for me.

I was so confused about why there were two pictures for Dopey that looked exactly the same. I'm having an ah-ha moment now that you've posted about it lighting up LOL

I really love the Chip n Dale 10k one, that is just so cute. Wish I was signed up this year just for that one.

SAFD:
Good morning runDisney All-stars!! Here is today’s Sundays are for Disney Question:

Share a restaurant you want to try, and one that was a pleasant surprise.

My answer:
I really want to try Space 220, regardless of how the food ends up being, it just looks like it would be a fun meal. I just want to ride the elevator into space! For my surprise restaurant I have to go
With Sci-Fi Drive-in. It was one we had never done, so on our last trip I got a reservation. We expected the theming to be fun and it did not disappoint. But we were really happy with the food, the celiac options for our daughters were good and the dairy free milkshakes were just incredible! It was all very tasty, great service, the movies were a kick and the AC was wonderful on that blistering hot day! We will go again for sure.

Have a good week all!

SAFD: We want to try Narcoossee’s. DS went there a few years ago, and really liked it. We are actually now planning a trip at the end of September, and tried to get a reservation, but couldn’t. It’s Disney, after all, so we planned something else fun—we bought tickets to Cirque du Soleil. We’ve seen several other shows, but never the Disney ones, so we’re excited. We’ve also never done MNSSHP, so we’re really excited about that! But I digress….

There have been a lot of pleasant surprises. We stopped eating meat a few years ago, and found that Ronto Roasters and Docking Bay 7 both have interesting choices for us. Olivia’s at OKW was such a pleasant surprise that we’ve gone a couple more times, even taking friends there during PW this year.

What a great question! I’m sure I’ll wish I had added in some other restaurants, but I’ll leave it there. Maybe I’ll make more ADRs after reading everyone’s answers….

SAFD: I want to try Steakhouse 71 and am trying to convince my cousins to eat there during Princess Weekend next year. I like Le Celier but Steakhouse 71 has more choices and you can build your meal, for a lower price.

My family likes Maria and Enzo’s. The dishes I’ve gotten are good and on the lighter side, and when we ate there this past PW, we felt the portions were a good size. It wasn’t too much and we cleaned our plates without feeling stuffed.

SAFD: I'd really like to try Sanaa. I've heard so much about its bread service along with good feedback overall. DW and I are going to WDW in October for our anniversary and we've made a reservation to have our celebratory dinner there. Here's hoping it lives up to its reputation!

My pleasant surprise is a counter service that started as a COVID trip spur of the moment try that has evolved into a solo MW staple. I love the shrimp tacos at the ABC Commissary. They usually have an interesting artisan dessert of some sort, too.

SAFD: I’m going to echo @camaker and say Sanaa as one I’d like to visit. When at AKL, we usually dine at Jiko because my wife loves their vegan offerings. I’m sure Sanaa has some too now since it’s been a few years from our last Disney trip.

My pleasant surprise is a bit different: Takumi-Tei. Not that I had any doubt the food and service would both be outstanding, and they always have been. Rather, I’m surprised it’s not only kept its high standards up for many years, they’ve also lasted for many years as well.

SAFD: I'm looking forward to trying the new Toy Story bbq restaurant at HS. The themeing looks so fun! I'm hoping to get a ressie there on our December trip.

A surprise hit for us was Tony's in MK. It's had a bad reputation for years, so my expectations were really low. But the food was really quite good! I got a pasta dish with spicy sausage and a lemony sauce that was delicious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter