Marathon Weekend 2024

Hey y'all, I just noticed the DL PoT window is back to normal after the COVID extensions we've had the last few years.

• Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between January 1, 2021, and October 3, 2023, and must be one of the below listed distances.
Anyone still hanging on to those 2019 PoTs might want to start looking for a race this year.
Is that back to normal? That's almost a 3 year window and I thought the normal window was 2 years. I hope they keep a similar date range for MW 2024. My PoT race was in May, 2021 and I was afraid I was going to have to replace it.

Hey y'all, I just noticed the DL PoT window is back to normal after the COVID extensions we've had the last few years.

• Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between January 1, 2021, and October 3, 2023, and must be one of the below listed distances.
Anyone still hanging on to those 2019 PoTs might want to start looking for a race this year.
Got my new PoT today :)

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for Sunday’s Are For Disney (SAFD). This is our weekly running/Disney question that everyone is welcome and encouraged to respond to as we get to know each other and build this community as we work our way towards Marathon Weekend. For today’s question it is time to focus on one of my favorite parts of any Disney trip - Food!

While at a runDisney Weekend, how do you handle meals and treats, do you have treats at all? Anything that is a must have?

My answer: Well, I do approach a runDisney Weekend a little differently than just a non-running trip to Disney. One of my favorite parts of any Disney trip is all the great food and treats. So if I am there for a race weekend, I tend to splurge with a nice breakfast or lunch and then keep it very simple at dinner time. I had to learn the hard way that an indulgent meal the night before the marathon was not a good plan for me! I try to replace the majority of my drinks with water throughout the weekend. But I still enjoy treats each day - generally a Mickey Premium Bar or Dole Whip or something else that grabs my eye - zebra domes, popcorn, gluten free churros and beignets. Ok, maybe I have multiple treats each day… And post the last race, all bets are off!

SAFD: My first couple of rD races, I was much more careful about what I ate and drank. As I’ve gotten more races under my belt - and since I never run a rD race for time, I’ve relaxed a bit. For the most part, if I’m in the parks I treat it like a normal park day. I don’t usually overdo snacks anyway so it’s not a big issue. I am more careful about what I choose to eat the night before the marathon and will limit myself to a max of one beer or glass of wine with dinner (if at all). Bottom line, I don’t overthink it. I save that for non-Disney races.

SAFD: Meals/snacks/treats
We try to book our "big" meals as lunches or early dinners (5pm res. at the latest) on the day of or before races. I try to make sure I at least look at a vegetable, and otherwise I just eat whatever sounds good and I know shouldn't turn out horribly wrong for me. My stomach generally doesn't have a lot of issues with getting upset about foods, so that's nice. I will add, however, that with the amount of anxiety I experienced on Saturday and Sunday, that eating anything once I get into the longer distances is a win. My appetite gets really suppressed from the longer runs, and combining that with being nervous and anxious about the race can mean that I have absolutely no appetite. So if it sounds good, I'm eating it because less-than-perfect food is better than no food.

SAFD:
Well, I only have one weekend under my belt so far and, since my tummy was seriously unhappy after my race, I think I need to treat race weekends a little less like a vacation next time. 🤣 Going to work on that at Princess and see if I can find a better balance, one that allows me to actually eat the post-race celebration dinner I had planned.

SAFD: Since I stay with my parents, I'm not likely to be in the parks the day before the race anyway. For the marathon last month, I just made sure to have an early dinner and plenty of bread 😅 Also I'm normally a glass-of-wine-with-dinner person, but I stick to water/nuun before races. (After is of course another story!)

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for Sunday’s Are For Disney (SAFD). This is our weekly running/Disney question that everyone is welcome and encouraged to respond to as we get to know each other and build this community as we work our way towards Marathon Weekend. For today’s question it is time to focus on one of my favorite parts of any Disney trip - Food!

While at a runDisney Weekend, how do you handle meals and treats, do you have treats at all? Anything that is a must have?
SAFD: One of the joys of going to Disney is partaking in the wide array of food and drink options. On the must-have list: V&A on Tuesday after the weekend; Takumi-Tei or Kimonos for dinner before the full; Chef Mickey's for as many pancakes as I can eat (plus one more, as my coach instructs) for brunch after the half. The rest of the meals we play by ear and eat where we are when we get hungry, though a dinner at Jaleo usually seems to happen too. As for treats, I don't segregate eating into treats and non-treats. I'm an adult and use that fact to eat whatever I feel like without guilt or concern. :)

SAFD: I go pretty bland during the race weekend to stay safe. And I usually end up eating a lot in my room from the grocery order I place. I’m always so nervous about getting not just food poisoning but eating anything that doesn’t sit right. My first Dopey I was so scared of getting sick I ended up eating PBJ’s in my room most nights 😂 must have snacks not just race weekends but every Disney trip: spring rolls, rice crispies, and gideons if I make it over to DS.

SAFD: I like to sample the wide variety of food for any Disney trip, including race weekends, but generally speaking I will avoid overly-spicy food the night before a race just to be safe. But otherwise yes, dining is one of the things I very much enjoy at WDW.

On the must-have list: V&A on Tuesday after the weekend

Great idea! I've only been once but I loved it and have been wanting to go back.

SAFD: Other than trying to grab dinner a little earlier thn usual, I don't really do much different for the race weekends. For the most part, I am not running for times during the races so I worry less about perfect fueling before and after. I agree that part of the fun of Disney is all the goodness that there is in the snack department so I take full advantage. I guess the only other change I make is that do also try to hydrate more than I might otherwise on a typical park day.

SAFD: The varied food and snacks on offer at Disney are one of my favorite parts of a Disney trip. As a result, I generally eat what I feel like, largely when I feel like it, especially during the early races of Dopey. Once the half and full start to roll around, I get a little more careful. The only significant concession I make is that I tend to eat both lunch and dinner on the early side. I also try to make lunch the bigger meal of the day. Since I'm usually solo and eating counter service, that's easy to do.

SAFD: ETIANDMW (Even though I am not doing marathon weekend 😁 )

I am an outlier in that I do not find most Disney food to be that special and it is certainly overpriced--I just can't get past the pricetags. So my meal food goals at Disney are to maximize perceived value. I make sure that I fuel for the race--but what I eat depends on where I'm staying and what appeals. I just try to make sure I have a decent pre-race meal (carbs, protein, not too much fat).

My only "Must do" food treat is a post-race celebratory chocolate milkshake, usually from B&C. And if I feel like I want to do a sit-down dinner, then I would go for Sanaa, or maybe find something at DS (happy hour deals can be had!)

SAFD: Couple of things we do differently from non-race trips. I make sure to have a table service reservation no later than 5:00 the day before any race half marathon or longer. I don’t want to be running around trying to find something to eat when I’m supposed to be winding the day down getting ready for an early bedtime. I also cut alcohol out until after the race, well during for the full. 😝 Treats are still in my mouth, gotta love a dole whip or zebra domes!

SAFD: I am lucky to have a pretty strong stomach and so I've never really altered my diet around races (of course I'm no elite runner either). I am more of a 7-9PM dinner person and no/small breakfast person, so I try and do dinner at 5-6 to get to bed a little earlier. I thought my body would be more thrown off by the early mornings since I did most of my training mid-day or after work, but it was fine. I eat pretty normally, plenty of greasy food, dairy, spicy food...I did avoid giant greasy burgers beforehand but that was about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter