Marathon Weekend 2024

I’m confused, there was a mcdonald’s on the marathon route at one point? Did they have a slide you could go down that counted as going on a ride?
I suppose if the route were to go past Blizzard Beach to Osceola and then up World Dr to HS, you could stop at that McDs near the All-Stars
2DBC39E8-9D7B-41B1-9E6F-1B7FD519B9FD.jpeg

I’m confused, there was a mcdonald’s on the marathon route at one point? Did they have a slide you could go down that counted as going on a ride?
It was right after AK on the long stretch of highway just past a big overpass. It wasn’t convenient, but you could run down to it if you so desired as “McFlurry John” has attested.

Hi Kris, Still biking BUT have been hit 2 times by Wild Hogs while out riding. April 2020 was 1st time resulting in 2 cracked ribs, punctured lung, cracked scapula, trauma to left shoulder and some other minor things. Recovered quickly then last July another hit this time hog T boned me into my left leg fracturing Tibia. JUST now getting back in shape and at 95%, recovery very slow. Saw FFigawi's 2024 post and the Good Times came back, including you'll at FW, and figured I HAD TO TRY 1 MORE TIME. Kathy already said she'd meet me on the course with a M&M McFlurry so the streak would continue. Have to start walking again to see how knees do and by April I'll know if I can register. Be Well.

I was looking at the AP calendar yesterday and noticed that my sorcerer pass is blocked out until the 3rd which I found weird. Guess I will have to go to Universal or something instead lol.
I didn’t realize we’d be blocked out until then. What a random date.

I think we’re probably coming down for MW weekend again next year. No idea on which races yet. I want to see how this weekend goes before making any decisions.

Hi Kris, Still biking BUT have been hit 2 times by Wild Hogs while out riding. April 2020 was 1st time resulting in 2 cracked ribs, punctured lung, cracked scapula, trauma to left shoulder and some other minor things. Recovered quickly then last July another hit this time hog T boned me into my left leg fracturing Tibia. JUST now getting back in shape and at 95%, recovery very slow. Saw FFigawi's 2024 post and the Good Times came back, including you'll at FW, and figured I HAD TO TRY 1 MORE TIME. Kathy already said she'd meet me on the course with a M&M McFlurry so the streak would continue. Have to start walking again to see how knees do and by April I'll know if I can register. Be Well.
I’m not sure we have met (joined this board late late 2017), but I love reading about your McFlurry pit stops. Are these southern wild hogs taking you out? Man, I had no idea how nasty those things were until we moved to a large parcel here in Florida.

Hey all, I am turning 40 over the 2024 race weekend so I am going to go all in with the Dopey challenge with as many friends and family as I can push into going.
Knowing a full year out, what are the best resorts to look at booking in terms of ideal logistics and just making things generally easier?

Hey all, I am turning 40 over the 2024 race weekend so I am going to go all in with the Dopey challenge with as many friends and family as I can push into going.
Knowing a full year out, what are the best resorts to look at booking in terms of ideal logistics and just making things generally easier?

"Ideal"........well, that depends on what your criteria are. As far as race logistics, all Disney resorts will get you to the expo and the races--via bus by most, monorail for the half/full if you stay at a monorail resort. Skyliner is not an option for race transportation (if you were to stay at Pop, AoA, CB, Riviera). If you stay offsite, you would need a car, but it would be good to have for getting to the race and expo. I have done both. (Actually, I like staying onsite with a car)

As for non-race logistics, that depends on your budget, the people you are going with (ages, "Disney style") and what you value out of a resort (location, amenities, etc) and whether or not you want your traveling party to all be in the same place. You are talking 4-6 nights, and Disney pricing is nuts, even in January, and next year race weekend is even closer to New Years.

Best to make sure everyone who goes with you has the same expectations of what they are getting into. And don't forget to look at renting DVC points if you decide to go the Villa route.

"Ideal"........well, that depends on what your criteria are. As far as race logistics, all Disney resorts will get you to the expo and the races--via bus by most, monorail for the half/full if you stay at a monorail resort. Skyliner is not an option for race transportation (if you were to stay at Pop, AoA, CB, Riviera). If you stay offsite, you would need a car, but it would be good to have for getting to the race and expo. I have done both. (Actually, I like staying onsite with a car)

As for non-race logistics, that depends on your budget, the people you are going with (ages, "Disney style") and what you value out of a resort (location, amenities, etc) and whether or not you want your traveling party to all be in the same place. You are talking 4-6 nights, and Disney pricing is nuts, even in January, and next year race weekend is even closer to New Years.

Best to make sure everyone who goes with you has the same expectations of what they are getting into. And don't forget to look at renting DVC points if you decide to go the Villa route.
Thanks! I suppose to be more specific, are there any resorts that are known to be first to pick up and then hit 5 more resorts before making it to the start line, or vice versa, last to drop off, etc?

I've had more than one occasion where I was pretty frustrated to find that I was last/first on a Disney bus route that added 40 min each way every day that was time way better spent elsewhere, if that makes sense? I really don't want to get up an extra hour early to ride a bus. I'd be willing to pay more to avoid that even.

I would not say we have an "unlimited" budget, but I am fully prepared for this to be very, very expensive. Right now, I am thinking of going 2 bedroom DVC rental at Beach Club?

Thanks! I suppose to be more specific, are there any resorts that are known to be first to pick up and then hit 5 more resorts before making it to the start line, or vice versa, last to drop off, etc?

I've had more than one occasion where I was pretty frustrated to find that I was last/first on a Disney bus route that added 40 min each way every day that was time way better spent elsewhere, if that makes sense? I really don't want to get up an extra hour early to ride a bus. I'd be willing to pay more to avoid that even.

I would not say we have an "unlimited" budget, but I am fully prepared for this to be very, very expensive. Right now, I am thinking of going 2 bedroom DVC rental at Beach Club?

Beach/Yacht is my preferred option for race weekends when a good deal can be found. I like the proximity to Epcot, the BW area dining options, and it is usually great location for family to be there to cheer. For marathon it is around mile 24, so they can sleep later and roll out when I get close.

I always rent a car and after staying offsite last year and driving to the marathon I decided even if I'm on property I plan to have a car and drive to any future race. Personally I love the Boardwalk area and the Swan/Dolphin are my go to resorts but you really can't go wrong with any of them. Since most races now start at Epcot for MW I'd book as close to Epcot as possible and Beach Club fits that bill. I do believe BC shares a race bus but someone that has stayed there in recent years will need to chime in to confirm.

I always rent a car and after staying offsite last year and driving to the marathon I decided even if I'm on property I plan to have a car and drive to any future race. Personally I love the Boardwalk area and the Swan/Dolphin are my go to resorts but you really can't go wrong with any of them. Since most races now start at Epcot for MW I'd book as close to Epcot as possible and Beach Club fits that bill. I do believe BC shares a race bus but someone that has stayed there in recent years will need to chime in to confirm.

The Epcot resorts share a bus post-race, but in my experience at BWV for 8+ race weekends, each resort has its own dedicated bus going to the race.

Last edited:
Having stayed at BCVs for my 16 Marathon Weekend experiences I'm obviously a little biased. I unofficially retired after the 2020 experience. I concur on what others have posted regarding transportion. I'll focus on your accommodations requirements for BCV. If you're looking at a 2BR, I would suggest you try to get the "dedicated" 2 BR in lieu of the lock-off. Sleeping arrangements are more flexible in the dedicated. The Dunes Cove pool and hot tub are a great place to relax between races, however if you can make it over to SAB the sand bottom section of the pool does wonders on the feet! In general, the Epcot resorts have a comfortable and relaxing vibe. I love the walk to Epcot and UK for my first
beer!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

We stay off site and tried Uber for 2020 (not recommended) and had a car rental for 2022.

Having stayed at BCVs for my 16 Marathon Weekend experiences I'm obviously a little biased. I unofficially retired after the 2020 experience. I concur on what others have posted regarding transportion. I'll focus on your accommodations requirements for BCV. If you're looking at a 2BR, I would suggest you try to get the "dedicated" 2 BR in lieu of the lock-off. Sleeping arrangements are more flexible in the dedicated. The Dunes Cove pool and hot tub are a great place to relax between races, however if you can make it over to SAB the sand bottom section of the pool does wonders on the feet! In general, the Epcot resorts have a comfortable and relaxing vibe. I love the walk to Epcot and UK for my first
beer!

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Dedicated 2BR BCV it is I think, assuming I can score a reservation!

Dedicated 2BR BCV it is I think, assuming I can score a reservation!

Just a bit of recent BCV insight… We moved here last night from one of our other home resorts as we typically prefer to end Marathon weekend in the Epcot area. I’m not sure if the bus situation was the same for the 5K and 10K, but this morning was a mess. The line waiting was longer than I’ve seen anywhere, and it took 4-5 buses to finally arrive before we were able to load. C corral had already moved forward by the time we made it over to the area, and the wheels/first couple A waves had already started. That felt like quite the scramble only to come to a screeching halt. 😆 Anyhow, just wanted to share that nowhere is perfect in case your BCV request doesn’t come through, but that while standing in that line first thing this morning we were seriously regretting moving from CCV. 🥴😆

Just a bit of recent BCV insight… We moved here last night from one of our other home resorts as we typically prefer to end Marathon weekend in the Epcot area. I’m not sure if the bus situation was the same for the 5K and 10K, but this morning was a mess. The line waiting was longer than I’ve seen anywhere, and it took 4-5 buses to finally arrive before we were able to load. C corral had already moved forward by the time we made it over to the area, and the wheels/first couple A waves had already started. That felt like quite the scramble only to come to a screeching halt. 😆 Anyhow, just wanted to share that nowhere is perfect in case your BCV request doesn’t come through, but that while standing in that line first thing this morning we were seriously regretting moving from CCV. 🥴😆
Oh no! That’s exactly the kind of mess I was hoping for some intel on how to avoid! I haaaaate waiting around for busses. Way way worse than waiting in line for a ride!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter