Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD (Sundays are for Disney). Took me a while of reading to come up with what the acronym meant. I haven't been to Disney since MW 2020. Wasn't even considering another trip until watching the Disney Parade on Christmas. I will only do one race, hopefully the half. There is a lot of new things to see in Disney and I don't want to spend all my time running or recovering.

SAFD:
I’m definitely in for MW 24, but undecided on distances. At least Goofy, but maybe I’ll do Dopey again or Goofy + 10k.
I really want to do DL also, but I don’t think it is practical for me right now that close to MW. I may just spend a few extra days after MW at World, when maybe it won’t be as crowded.

SAFD - After doing every Marathon Weekend since 2018 (not counting 2021 virtual), I'm taking a break for 2024. I started taking my kids (6 and 8), and it is hard to balance park time with the need to sleep, especially with Dopey this time around.

I want to run, but I'd rather do a non- runDisney vacation with the kids for now. Between Dopey and feeling sick, we didn't get nearly enough park time even though we were there for six days (missed two afternoons plus a whole day).

Will I get caught up in MW fever between now and registration? Possibly. 😂 But I also really hate the early dates for next year.

SAFD: Everything will depend on what I get into for DL races. I got hit pretty bad this week with a stomach bug. My daughter (who stayed home) had it first then me 12 hours later so I’m not 100% sure I brought it back as a Dopey souvenir. I am very tempted to run Dopey plus all three DL and get the coast to coast. ELEVEN MEDALS Y’ALL!!!! Just the thought of being sick before DL scares me though. My immune system always takes a hit MW.

SAFD: I’m going to try for Dopey next year if the registration gods are on my side. I got locked out this year and “just” did Goofy, but I loved the weekend and want to complete Dopey at least once.

My goals would be to 1) get into Dopey, 2) lose about 30 pounds, and 3) train harder to shave some time off of each race. I used to be able to run a sub 4-hour marathon and I’d love to get my marathon time back under at least 5 hours next year. (Don’t ask me my times for Goofy. I perhaps took each race a bit too easy. 🤣)

What's your favorite Oswald cartoon? :crazy:

That’s unfair. He may not have a prolific Disney animation catalog but everyone can remember fondly all of the trips they took as kids to WDW and DL specifically to meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Yeah yeah... I know... I TOTALLY get it. I just love Oswald's place in the history of the company and for Walt -- that you can triumph after failure, even if it seems insurmountable at the time. (And that short they put out recently was super cute!)

SAFD: I'll be back. I literally have no idea what I'm signing up for. A week ago it was the half, but now I'm thinking I need a marathon redemption. If my mom is running the 5K & 10K again, I might just go for Dopey since I'll be up to cheer for her anyway. So many balls in the air right now. Hopefully by April some of them settle.

SAFD: Definitely doing Dopey in 2024, if I can get in. All the races, all the medals, all the miles! As @camaker says, anything worth doing is worth overdoing! I love crossing finish lines, and the chance to cross four finish lines in one race weekend is too much fun to miss. The goals will be the same as always - just have fun and enjoy the joy of running a race. Hopefully I can coax a few family members into running a race or two or three as well, just to add to the fun.
Do I dream of a day when I could get a POT and get out of the "party" section of the corrals? Maybe. But I'm not sure I'd want to swap the "OMG can you believe we're doing this?!" vibe from the back of the pack for the (and I'm making an assumption here) more serious runners toward the front. (Although I could definitely do with less of the panic-y "where are the balloon ladies?!" feel in the back corrals.)
Having done most of my marathon weekend races from A corral, I have to admit it's pretty sweet. Little to no lines at the porta-potties, character stops, and aid stations, and basically no course crowding past the first few miles - it can spoil a runner!

Having done most of my marathon weekend races from A corral, I have to admit it's pretty sweet. Little to no lines at the porta-potties, character stops, and aid stations, and basically no course crowding past the first few miles - it can spoil a runner!
That sounds marvelous. Now to figure out how to drop around 35min off my HM time. 🤣

SAFD: I’m going to try for Dopey next year if the registration gods are on my side. I got locked out this year and “just” did Goofy, but I loved the weekend and want to complete Dopey at least once.

My goals would be to 1) get into Dopey, 2) lose about 30 pounds, and 3) train harder to shave some time off of each race. I used to be able to run a sub 4-hour marathon and I’d love to get my marathon time back under at least 5 hours next year. (Don’t ask me my times for Goofy. I perhaps took each race a bit too easy. 🤣)
I can appreciate a lot with what is shared here.

Hi everyone--been lurking/sometimes posting around here for a few years. Did the marathon in 17 and 19, a couple of Wine & Dines, and got my coast to coast running the very last race in Disneyland (though we didn't know it was the last one then). Then I took a Disney break for a few years.

SAFD Now my friend and I are determined to do Dopey in 24 to celebrate some milestones. I stay in half-marathon shape, so I'm determined that I'll finish this time in under 7 hours...shenanigans notwithstanding. I have a whole year to train, so I'm excited. FWIW, I will be buying all the insurance I can because I have no interest in a non-running expensive vacation at that time. Would rather wait a year if I sprain an ankle in December (*knocks on wood)

SAFD: Just off my first Marathon Weekend/Dopey and I would totally like to do that again, so yes, sitting here today I’d say I’m in. I’ve done the other race weekends and pretty sure this ranked as my favorite. January is sort of tough to be taking a bunch of days off as it’s ‘get back to work’ time but the early dates make that a little easier to manage, so figure I should take advantage of it when I can.

I don’t run for speed or time, just for fun/fitness/beers, so no real goals other than feeling strong with no injuries. That said I would like to improve my marathon time with less walking breaks during the second part. I slowed down a lot for the marathon distance just to make sure all the miles didn’t bring back an injury I had been dealing with over the summer - but so long as that continues to be fine I know I can do better.

A tad worried everything went so well with this past weekend (weather, my training, no sickness, clear head, etc) how can I really top it, but at the moment DW is planning to run too so it will be fun to do it together. We’ve really struggled with both training for something at the same time as life just gets brutal with professional and family obligations, but we’d like to commit and find a way to make it work.

Last edited:
SAFD: I am hoping/planning to do Dopey. I already have registration blocked on my calendar. It will be Dopey #4 and marathon #5. And I still remember crossing the finish line of my first half thinking, "I can't imagine turning around and doing that again. You have to be crazy to run a marathon."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter