Marathon Weekend 2024

Post covid has been a very different dynamic for runDisney. 2023 was the 30th anniversary of the marathon and 10th anniversary of Dopey. It was a big year for people to celebrate. The races are also still not where they were pre-covid either. I am not sure Disney wants it to be though anymore. We are looking at 13-15,000ish runners for the marathon vs. pre covid when it was well above that some years.
That would explain it. Thank you!

Sorry for posting a million times this afternoon. Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find the POT and corral placement for the 2023 Marathon? Is that something Disney puts out or was the a @DopeyBadger creation? Appreciate any help to satisfy my curiosity lol

is that starting or finishing temps?? 😄😄
At 5:30 AM lol. I looked it up and one year it was mid 60's and I guess that wasnt as bad as I think 2020 when it felt like a summer morning in Louisiana lol. although 2020 was a PW for many other reasons, the weather just further punished me for failing to prepare. I also acknowledge some people enjoy warmer running temps, so for some folks its a good thing. IMO, I like 35 at start and not getting over 55 before I finish.

I'm hoping this will be my year to finally run Dopey after getting shut out for 2023 during that registration fiasco. If I miss it again in 2024 I'll try again in 2025, but if I get in this year it will probably be my last Disney run for a while (unless I don't finish and then I probably won't be able to help myself from trying again, haha). There is limited vacation time and early January is prime travel time when you have school-age kids, and my kids are almost grown and there won't be many more years to vacation with them as a nuclear family unit, and there are more places for us to travel as a family than Disney, AND runDisney is expensive and I don't have unlimited vacation funds (much to my distress!).

So while I may come back in ten years when the kids are through college and don't want to travel with Mom and Dad anymore, there is the distinct possibility that this'll be my last runDisney event, at least for a while, so I want to make the most of it. Getting there in the mornings really stresses me out and I think I would prefer the monorail to the buses. Would the Poly be my best bet, so I could just walk over to the TTC and get directly on the Epcot monorail? Does anyone have any experience with staying at GF or BLT and making the transfer to the Epcot monorail? I guess I could also walk from the GF. I just want the process to be as simple as possible.

Something did just occur to me though, just as I was about to hit "post." I'd also have to ride the monorail BACK to the resort after the races, with regular, non-runner guests! And I am NOT the kind of runner who hits the parks sans shower and a change of clothes after their run. I will be a limping, sweaty, smelly mess. Ugh, now I don't know if a monorail resort is the best choice.

I'm hoping this will be my year to finally run Dopey after getting shut out for 2023 during that registration fiasco. If I miss it again in 2024 I'll try again in 2025, but if I get in this year it will probably be my last Disney run for a while (unless I don't finish and then I probably won't be able to help myself from trying again, haha). There is limited vacation time and early January is prime travel time when you have school-age kids, and my kids are almost grown and there won't be many more years to vacation with them as a nuclear family unit, and there are more places for us to travel as a family than Disney, AND runDisney is expensive and I don't have unlimited vacation funds (much to my distress!).

So while I may come back in ten years when the kids are through college and don't want to travel with Mom and Dad anymore, there is the distinct possibility that this'll be my last runDisney event, at least for a while, so I want to make the most of it. Getting there in the mornings really stresses me out and I think I would prefer the monorail to the buses. Would the Poly be my best bet, so I could just walk over to the TTC and get directly on the Epcot monorail? Does anyone have any experience with staying at GF or BLT and making the transfer to the Epcot monorail? I guess I could also walk from the GF. I just want the process to be as simple as possible.

Something did just occur to me though, just as I was about to hit "post." I'd also have to ride the monorail BACK to the resort after the races, with regular, non-runner guests! And I am NOT the kind of runner who hits the parks sans shower and a change of clothes after their run. I will be a limping, sweaty, smelly mess. Ugh, now I don't know if a monorail resort is the best choice.
I stayed at the Poly this past Princess weekend. I walked from the Poly to the TTC. They didn't have the security station staffed and wouldn't let me through. So, I had to walk back to the Poly and take the resort monorail. Don't know if this is always the case, but that was my recent experience.

Post-race, they do have the race transportation buses taking people back to the monorail resorts. You don't have to monorail back.

Getting there in the mornings really stresses me out and I think I would prefer the monorail to the buses. Would the Poly be my best bet, so I could just walk over to the TTC and get directly on the Epcot monorail? Does anyone have any experience with staying at GF or BLT and making the transfer to the Epcot monorail? I guess I could also walk from the GF. I just want the process to be as simple as possible.

This past January I took the monorail from the TTC to the start for the marathon (walked from Poly). I also did the same for the Princess half in 2019. It’s really convenient!

I stayed at the Poly this past Princess weekend. I walked from the Poly to the TTC. They didn't have the security station staffed and wouldn't let me through. So, I had to walk back to the Poly and take the resort monorail. Don't know if this is always the case, but that was my recent experience.

Post-race, they do have the race transportation buses taking people back to the monorail resorts. You don't have to monorail back.
This was for the half? I wonder if they were short staffed. I took the monorail from there for the Princess half in 2019. It would be a bummer to walk there and then have to walk back to the main building!

This was for the half? I wonder if they were short staffed. I took the monorail from there for the Princess half in 2019. It would be a bummer to walk there and then have to walk back to the main building!
It was the morning of the half. Yeah, it was not a good way to start the morning!

For what it's worth @1GoldenSun , if we are running the half distance (or longer), we always stay at the GF (or really, any monorail resort) or at least try to. We ran the half this past January and again for Princess weekend and we loved the convenience of using the monorail to get to the start and come back to the resort. One year, we stayed at the Beach Club for Princess Half and the buses were fine (they just tend to be crowded and seem to take longer to me--not sure if that's actually true, lol). We like the monorail more. Transferring at the TTC was very easy and while we were a little stinky after each run ( 🤣 🌶️), it it was still pretty early in the morning and not yet too crowded. Most people understood and kept their distance. LOL.

I hope you manage to get in for Dopey!! GOOD LUCK!!!! 🤞🌟🤞

For what it's worth @1GoldenSun , if we are running the half distance (or longer), we always stay at the GF (or really, any monorail resort) or at least try to. We ran the half this past January and again for Princess weekend and we loved the convenience of using the monorail to get to the start and come back to the resort. One year, we stayed at the Beach Club for Princess Half and the buses were fine (they just tend to be crowded and seem to take longer to me--not sure if that's actually true, lol). We like the monorail more. Transferring at the TTC was very easy and while we were a little stinky after each run ( 🤣 🌶️), it it was still pretty early in the morning and not yet too crowded. Most people understood and kept their distance. LOL.

I hope you manage to get in for Dopey!! GOOD LUCK!!!! 🤞🌟🤞

The real question is after 26.2 miles can you walk up 3 high steps onto a bus, or if the long uphill ramps of the monorail are more painful.

I choose the bus steps :)

The real question is after 26.2 miles can you walk up 3 high steps onto a bus, or if the long uphill ramps of the monorail are more painful.

I choose the bus steps :)

The real issue is that post marathon, to get to the monorail you have to walk all the way to the front of Epcot, as opposed to the buses being right at the reunion area. I’ve done both after a marathon, and the extra walk was a nice cool down. I actually sprinted up the ramp to catch the monorail. Immediately sitting down on a bus and being stuck in traffic for an hour, and then trying to hobble down stairs is far worse.

The real issue is that post marathon, to get to the monorail you have to walk all the way to the front of Epcot, as opposed to the buses being right at the reunion area. I’ve done both after a marathon, and the extra walk was a nice cool down. I actually sprinted up the ramp to catch the monorail. Immediately sitting down on a bus and being stuck in traffic for an hour, and then trying to hobble down stairs is far worse.
An hour on the bus? Thank heavens I never experienced that at my events and ride back. Maybe max was 30 riding back to AKL as we waited for the road to clear for 10k

It seems like races haven’t really been opening up as much. I know they’ve been back to back but I feel like Disneyland should’ve opened up at least once by now? Makes me think if I want to coast to coast with marathon weekend I might need to sign up now rather than wait for it to open up later. I signed up in October last year. Really didn’t want to drop another $200 when I’ve got so much going on in April but that may be the way unless I do another race if I decide to wait. runDisney makes it so difficult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter