Marathon Weekend 2024

Depending on what time you finish (and what time Epcot opens), that may not be possible. Usually Epcot isn't open during the half unless you are at the VERY end of the finishers.
Got it, that makes sense. And I am not fast, but won't be at the very end, I'm sure ...

Actually, the half marathon course doesn't. The half marathon course usually goes from Epcot to the Magic Kingdom (passing the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Shades of Green and the Poly) and then back to Epcot.

The 10K (sometimes) and the marathon courses go passed the Yacht and Beach Clubs.
good catch. I clearly have not had enough coffee yet this morning. It's pretty much the ONLY one that doesn't go past those resorts, isn't it. :scared:

good catch. I clearly have not had enough coffee yet this morning. It's pretty much the ONLY one that doesn't go past those resorts, isn't it. :scared:

Well, other than the 5K that never usually leaves Epcot, yes. I've done that half marathon course quite a few times so it is engrained in my head.

Hello, everyone! I wanted to introduce myself, and ask a silly question--what does SAFD stand for? I am so enjoying everyone's answers, but admit I don't know!

But in other news, I am registered for the Half Marathon, which will be my first Run Disney race and my seventh half marathon. I'll be traveling with my husband and 8-year-old son, and I just bought our plane tickets this morning! We live in CT and generally visit the parks once or twice a year. We pretty much always stay on-property, and I'm trying to decide between the Riviera Resort, Yacht Club, or Beach Club. Any advice would be appreciated!

Looks like your question was already answered but just wanted to say welcome!

SAFD

Good Morning runDIsney All-Stars!I. It is time for SAFD.

Today’s question: What is your favorite place to run while on WDW property?

My answer: I have always enjoyed running around the lake btwn POP and AOA. It is long enough to get a decent run in with jut a few laps and it is usually not too crowded. Additionally I have fond memories of the non-Half Marathon in 2017 and running my miles around the lake. It was so great to see all the runners and spectators that came out that morning after the storms had passed. Great memory. Have a good week all!

SAFD: I love running around the lake at Boardwalk/Beach Club early in the morning. It floods me with memories of marathon weekends past plus there's something about seeing the Skyliner and International Gateway that just makes me smile while running. Yes there are a few hills around the bridges, but I even like that change of pace.

SAFD:
well, we try to plan park days for non-race days so I generally don't run while I'm on-property, aside from the races. (I'm sure that for the intention of this question I can't say "Main Street and then through the castle" :upsidedow ) The one time I did run while on-property was with SIL the year that princess was cancelled due to the pandemic and we still went on our trip. We ran around the lake at CBR/Riv, so I guess that's what I have to say.

SAFD: I’ve only done one non-race run on Disney property and it was around Pop and AoA. I was trying to stretch it out and run around the outside of the resorts but I missed a sidewalk to the outside of Pop and ended up running along Hourglass Lake, which was pretty, but stinky because it was evening and all the people back from the parks were smoking (in their designated areas, tbf)
IMG_5081.jpeg
IMG_5045.jpeg

SAFD: I’ve only done one non-race run on Disney property and it was around Pop and AoA. I was trying to stretch it out and run around the outside of the resorts but I missed a sidewalk to the outside of Pop and ended up running along Hourglass Lake, which was pretty, but stinky because it was evening and all the people back from the parks were smoking (in their designated areas, tbf)
View attachment 757220
View attachment 757221
I almost didn’t want to bring it up because the path is so beautiful and convenient for a run, but yep. The smoking areas ruin it sometimes.

SAFD: I have several places I love running at WDW. Hourglass Lake at POP, Spyglass Lake at Caribbean Beach/Riveria, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans are my favorites. Crescent Lake is nice but it’s tough to get descent mileage over there.

ETA: completely forgot my favorite….Saratoga Springs!

Your sunset picture is gorgeous

Yes, please put all smoking areas in places that are as unscenic and far from normal pedestrian traffic as possible. I really cannot understand how it is that people still smoke ☹️
You have to pass The smoking at MK when going from the all star busses to/from the park and it wasn’t fun on my sinuses

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter