Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: I may or may not have EP reserved for every weekend for the next 4 months, just in case I have time to do a day trip to ride GOTG - that’s how much I LOVE the ride! Could happily ride it over and over for hours. I’ve had all 6 songs and my favorite by a landslide is One Way or Another.

SAFD: I've ridden it twice - both times I took motion sickness medication the night before and that helped a lot.
Also pro tip: Don't look at the spinning moon. Just don't.
The first time we rode it, I said "Hope we can any song other than Conga!". And of course we got....Conga
2nd time we got September and that was super fun!
Really want Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

I avoided reading anything about the ride prior to riding it for the first (and so far, only) time during 2023 Marathon Weekend. And I've continued that and haven't read anything about it since. haha

I LOVED it - it was probably the most incredible ride I've ever been on. But I had no idea there were different songs. I feel like we got "One Way or Another" because I remember singing along sometimes.

I avoided reading anything about the ride prior to riding it for the first (and so far, only) time during 2023 Marathon Weekend. And I've continued that and haven't read anything about it since. haha

I LOVED it - it was probably the most incredible ride I've ever been on. But I had no idea there were different songs. I feel like we got "One Way or Another" because I remember singing along sometimes.
Much like the movies, the songs were curated by James Gunn.

SAFD: I got to ride GOTG 4 times during MW this past January and I want to ride it a bajillion more times on my upcoming trips to Wine and Dine and MW. I got Everybody Wants to Rule the World the first time, Disco Inferno twice in a row, and then Conga. Still need to get the other songs. I've planned a lot of Epcot days on my upcoming trips to maximize rides. It really is one of the most incredible rides I've ever been on. Also really excited for Tron!

SAFD (previous) Dopey goals are to have fun and weather permitting I always try to PR the marathon.

Guardians: have been very fortunate to get boarding groups including sometimes at 6pm drop for extended hours and just a couple weeks back we were down there to get my daughter from school at the same time as the DVC guardians movie/party event
Got to see GOTG vol 3 in Disney Springs a day before release and 10pm-1am EPCOT with food DJ and unlimited guardians and test track. Rode test track 4 times without getting out of the car😂 and walked on guardians 5 times. All told I’ve been on close to 20 times and can’t wait to get on it again. Absolutely love that ride and all the different soundtracks. I think Blondie may be my favorite. There is also a funny delay with Rocket just before launch that sometimes plays. Not sure if it’s random or specific to a particular song. There are slight tweaks to some dialogue during and at the end as well.

Not sure if it’s the construction or time of year but this past trip we were able to walk in the back of a very not busy EPCOT as late as 7pm and score a 2pm boarding group. Maybe the VQ will be going away in the near future now that everyone is going for TRON

Is there a runDisney acronym guide somewhere? And how did SAFD become the preferred acronym for the marathon?

Is there a runDisney acronym guide somewhere? And how did SAFD become the preferred acronym for the marathon?

It’s not an acronym for the marathon, it’s an acronym for the Sundays Are For Disney question that gets asked here weekly to keep the board active when there’s nothing Marathon Weekend-related happening

And I'll also tack on that it helps with the community-building for those of us who are participating (or have participated, or want to participate some time) in MW. We usually have a Friday afternoon meetup during race weekend at Hurricane Hannah's at the Beach Club, and also a meetup in the mornings pre-race. SAFD helps us get to know each other a little more.

What's a good timeline to start training for Dopey? Would 16 weeks be enough? (Trying to figure out my plan for the summer)

The plan I’ve used for marathons/Dopey is 18 weeks, with long runs starting at 5 miles. 16 weeks is obviously doable but probably tougher, would imagine ramping up happens quicker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter