Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: A little jealous of the solo experiences here! Have done a few solo or partial solo quick trips for runD races. Always hard to juggle the schedules with school aged kids, babysitters, life, etc so sometimes if one of us is going to get a race in it has to be solo. Last MW weekend I did half the trip solo and DW joined for the balance, which was nice. If I’m totally honest solo isn’t my fav, there’s just something about being a middle-aged man alone walking into a park that makes me a bit self conscious. I know it’s silly and I’m way too grounded/confident a person to think like that, but I have trouble shaking the feeling for some reason. It doesn’t necessarily stop me from enjoying some WDW time, just not my first choice.

Speaking of pre-orders. After the mentions of it I logged in to see what I could still pre-order to relieve some of the chaos day of. I added some MW and DL stuff and then saw there was a processing fee, which duh, why wouldn't there be? I have an AP so it doesn't make sense to pay that fee which would void any savings of the AP discount. So I guess I'll partake in the circus again. Hopefully they do a better job with inventory levels this time. I ended up ordering the DL spirit jersey and will take my chances with everything else.

Follow up product report

I mentioned how good I felt (to my surprise) after yesterday's long run, and figured my feet and legs would have more to say about that this morning, and they did. But by the afternoon, I felt up to an easy run to try my second pair of Hokas (another pair of Clifton 9's. If it ain't broke....) and the mens tights that came in on Sunday.

The Hokas were great and I wound up putting in 3.5 miles at a 10:40 pace (faster than I thought it would be, especially on my hill course) with Morton-related foot pain kept at bay. I felt pleased and encouraged by that.

The mens tights are thinner and not quite as snug as the thicker yoga tights, but they held everything in place well enough and the side pocket holds a cell phone just fine, and the longer inseam prevented any chafing. It was a pack of 3, and they'll be going into the rotation to be worn under running shorts.

FWIW, my phone is an Apple 12Pro and I have it in an otter box so that I can hold the danged thing without dropping it, and to protect it when I do drop it anyway. Just to give you an idea of how much phone bulk I'm talking about.

I'm now wondering if I'll really want or need to use my belt for the marathon. I won't have a key fob with me, so it'll be just the phone on one side, ID and money on the other side, and inhaler, which can go in the pocket in the back of the waistband and any fuel in the shorts pockets. And restaurant type napkins in the pockets for blowing my nose when it inevitably starts running faster than my feet do...

I'm now wondering if I'll really want or need to use my belt for the marathon. I won't have a key fob with me, so it'll be just the phone on one side, ID and money on the other side, and inhaler, which can go in the pocket in the back of the waistband and any fuel in the shorts pockets. And restaurant type napkins in the pockets for blowing my nose when it inevitably starts running faster than my feet do...

I run the marathons beltless. As you mentioned above - my fuel gels are in my short pockets (half on each side). My inhaler is in the back, zipped pocket at the top of the shorts and I have been carrying my iphone in my right hand since I started running 6 years ago. I've fallen several times and have not damaged one of my phones yet.

I hate belts - they're never tight enough and once I get far enough in to a run and I'm a sweaty mess it becomes an annoyance to keep pulling the belt up.

The only time this plan has backfired was at Berlin. I realized I needed a blast from the inhaler around mile 10 and the zipper handle broke. I'm continuing to run and googled the German word for "scissors". Finally I found a paramedic unit at mile 16 and ran up to them for scissors and pointing to my butt and pantomiming scissor motions with my fingers. They handed me the scissors and I attempted to cut the pocket open but I couldn't see it to do so - they finally helped me cut the pocket open When I pulled out the inhaler they became alarmed and started grabbing their oxygen gear. I signed that I was going to be ok and just needed "a hit" and ran the rest of the race with mangled shorts.

SAFD: Well that was timely. Looks like I will be making a solo Disneyland trip next month. Me and a few co-workers are headed to San Diego for a work conference. The conference starts with a special guest speaker on Sunday night (John Cena, LOL!). So a couple of us threw out the idea of flying into Orange County on Friday night, hit Disneyland on Saturday, and drive down to San Diego on Sunday morning. But now everyone has had things come up, leaving me to go solo. Which I really don't mind though. Been solo to DL many times back when I lived in CA. Now that I am going solo, my wife has started to think that maybe she will find a way to tag along now. LOL.

They have some phone cases that have card holders on the back! I use them when I go on cruises for my room key.

When my friend used to run, she had a small card holder that attached to her shoelaces. Then you could go into your pocket for fuel and napkins without worrying about cards or money flying out. (Because that would definitely happen to me.)

They have some phone cases that have card holders on the back! I use them when I go on cruises for my room key.

When my friend used to run, she had a small card holder that attached to her shoelaces. Then you could go into your pocket for fuel and napkins without worrying about cards or money flying out. (Because that would definitely happen to me.)
I use those phone cases all the time, I have my ID, a credit card, and some cash (because you never know when a cute little kid will be selling water on your running route 😄😄)

I've been using Spibelts for years. They do the job, although a while ago I found out it works better for me if I turn it around and put the phone behind me. If I get in the right spot, it works great for most runs. It does have to be cinched up for faster efforts.

However, when I got a Garmin that could connect to my headphones and play music, DW and I conducted an experiment. At a half marathon this Spring I ditched the phone altogether and stuck an AirTag in the zipper pocket with the ID and cash. We wondered if it would provide something like real time tracking because of all the runners around me that would have their phones. Not quite, but still pretty good! It would update every time I hit a water station, and occasionally when I would pass by some spectators. So we'll be doing that again at the marathon. (And probably at the 10k this weekend.) With 17 or 18 water stations on the course, it should work pretty well in January to give her a better idea than just the timing mats.

FWIW, I sometimes use shorts/tights that have the leg pockets, but no back pocket - this necessitates a belt for races, when I’m carrying more. After testing a bunch of different bets and various combinations of stuff in belts vs. pockets, what I found works best is:

Leg pocket 1: phone
Leg pocket 2: gels, inhaler, sunscreen - lumpy stuff that I’ll need to access regularly and efficiently
Belt: ID, $20 bill, car key fob

Belt’s bag goes in back, in the small of my back, where it just sits and doesn’t move. I’ve tried putting the inhaler in the belt and it creates too much bounce. For some reason, the ID+key fob combo is the only combo that works in there.

Then you could go into your pocket for fuel and napkins without worrying about cards or money flying out. (Because that would definitely happen to me.)

Which brings me to my PSA for today - if you are running with your ID/credit card/cash, MAKE SURE IT IS SECURED!! During the 2022 MW 5K, I did the "I'll throw this stuff in my pocket, it'll be okay" thing. And then lost my license within the first mile of the 5K. It all worked okay (someone actually found it in the dark - which amazed me - and turned it in), but it did cause some angst. Now I take those three things, use a hair tie to keep them together, and pin them to the inside of my pocket or running belt.

Which brings me to my PSA for today - if you are running with your ID/credit card/cash, MAKE SURE IT IS SECURED!! During the 2022 MW 5K, I did the "I'll throw this stuff in my pocket, it'll be okay" thing. And then lost my license within the first mile of the 5K. It all worked okay (someone actually found it in the dark - which amazed me - and turned it in), but it did cause some angst. Now I take those three things, use a hair tie to keep them together, and pin them to the inside of my pocket or running belt.
Thankfully my running belt has a pocket within the zippered pocket for things like that. I put my ID, a credit card, and my medical card in there.

I've done a little bit of both, but my favorite is when fam ily is in town with me for the actual race weekend (dad and I play a lot of golf, we all hit parks, there may be a cocktail involved), I run Goofy, and after a big lunch on Sunday, I'll nap, and everyone else heads out.

I stay for an extra day or two, and really do whatever I want, which is great for the recovery time periods.

I love those trips.

For last years MW, i bought some of the cell phone case card holders that you can stick to your existing case. I put my license, a credit card, and a $20 bill in there and then stuffed my phone in my running belt.

I would try to ditch my running belt if I could find a better way of displaying your number bib. I hate having the number pinned or stuck to my running singlet. It gets really gross from all the sweat. So I usually just use the clips that come with the running belt to attach the bib.

I am so paranoid about that! Especially since it did happen to me once

FWIW, I sometimes use shorts/tights that have the leg pockets, but no back pocket - this necessitates a belt for races, when I’m carrying more. After testing a bunch of different bets and various combinations of stuff in belts vs. pockets, what I found works best is:

Leg pocket 2: gels, inhaler, sunscreen - lumpy stuff that I’ll need to access regularly and efficiently

Belt’s bag goes in back, in the small of my back, where it just sits and doesn’t move. I’ve tried putting the inhaler in the belt and it creates too much bounce. For some reason, the ID+key fob combo is the only combo that works in there.
I have put in a lot of miles, including Dopey, with my phone in my Nathan belt, and indeed it sits in the small of my back and I really don’t feel it. Buy last year it loosened up during the marathon and there is a finish line photo of me grabbing at the belt. I should have just slung it over my shoulder.

Inhaler: I’ll need a shot around mile 20. And I freaked out a passing runner when I took a preemptive puff.

My carpal tunnel shrieks at the idea of running with my phone in my hand.

Ooh, sunscreen.
With my skin, I typically need SPF 100 to keep from bursting into flame in direct sunlight. For the 5k thru the half, the sun either isn’t up or not enough to matter, but for the full, I need some sunscreen in the final hour or two.
I found small packets of SPF 30 on Amazon. A packet or two is enough for face and ears and small enough for a pocket or the belt. I need stronger for the parks later in the day, but 30 works for races or as an afternoon booster in lieu of carrying around a bigger bottle.

I run with a handheld water bottle and hardly feel it anymore, but holding a phone feels so much different!
I’ve seen (heard) younger runners running along, during a race mind you, yapping away into a phone. Or sometimes to each other, and my only thought is that I’m maxed out trying to breathe. There isn’t a anything left for talking.
YMMV

I have put in a lot of miles, including Dopey, with my phone in my Nathan belt, and indeed it sits in the small of my back and I really don’t feel it. Buy last year it loosened up during the marathon and there is a finish line photo of me grabbing at the belt. I should have just slung it over my shoulder.

Inhaler: I’ll need a shot around mile 20. And I freaked out a passing runner when I took a preemptive puff.

My carpal tunnel shrieks at the idea of running with my phone in my hand.
I started running with the phone in my hand at the 2022 MW and just found it easier than taking it and out of a belt. I end up taking so many pictures and videos it just became a hassle to manage it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter