Marathon Weekend 2024

-Do we really think we could have a return to the pre-2020 course finishes?
-Those courses also appear to have more park time (not cutting backstage out of HS, different exit point in AK, etc); does anyone think we could see a return to that, or is the feeling that Disney just wants to get the parks opened asap with as few race disruptions as possible?
-A return to the WWOS loop? No more BB parking lot?
-Any chance we run past Tron in MK (or no, because of the uphill)?

I could see changes to the Epcot portion to go back closer to what it was. I'm not sure they will go back to having the finish come down the central spine again because of the park being open at that point and they seem to want to have minimal disruptions to guests. However, I could see them modifying the first part of the course again so we come in under the ball instead of back by the pavilions. That would also give a chance to get one of the better photo ops again in front of Spaceship Earth. Would love it if they would return to the really old days where we ran through World Showcase at the start with all the torches lit up...

While I hope they would make some of the other modifications you mention (well maybe not the return to WWOS, although the grand parking lot tour isn't exactly great either), it just doesn't seem to fit their current operating mode of disrupting park guests as little as possible. I suspect more time in parks before they open also means more people they have to staff there to make sure runners (or spectators) don't wander into other areas too and we know that anything that adds is expense is an absolute no for them. So put me in the camp of hoping, but not expecting much from our friends at RD at this point.

This was also posted in the SW thread, but if you are flying with Southwest, double check your flights, they might have changed. My return leg from DLR to home got switched around.

This was also posted in the SW thread, but if you are flying with Southwest, double check your flights, they might have changed. My return leg from DLR to home got switched around.
Yup, I got the same notice. I was originally flying out of MCO on 1/8 at 12:45pm, direct flight back to Houston. My flight is now at 3:45pm, still direct flight. I went in to see what flights were available and they don't have any other direct flights to Houston available. So looks like we are sleeping in a little longer on the 8th.

Yup, I got the same notice. I was originally flying out of MCO on 1/8 at 12:45pm, direct flight back to Houston. My flight is now at 3:45pm, still direct flight. I went in to see what flights were available and they don't have any other direct flights to Houston available. So looks like we are sleeping in a little longer on the 8th.
Mine for Princess going to MCO was changed from 6am to 7am. I'm OK with that change because the two earlier flights aren't direct.

I'm not on SWA but schedules changed for a lot of airlines recently. Going home from Anaheim, I had a cushy lie-flat seat on a redeye LAX-JFK with a short leg home a few hours later, but they did away with that redeye entirely. I'm now on a double-connection with a redeye and 90 minutes in ATL and three and a half at LGA before heading home. Ugh.

Wait, are you saying there's a 3 1/2 hour layover between LGA and JFK?
No, sorry. I live up in Vermont so my 3.5 hours is waiting for the LGA-Burlington flight. They recently changed the schedules and there are only one or two flights a day between Burlington and NYC.

I love the course map speculations! I get how from Disney's operation point of view, it's hard to have sections of the park essentially cut off for most of the morning. But it's also the main selling point of these races. I'm hoping that at the very least, with the walls coming down at EPCOT that they'll go back to finishing by running down the central spine and under Spaceship Earth. I'd love to run through Avatar land and a little bit more time in HS, but I know the chances of that are slim to none, so I'll just stick with ending by going under Spaceship Earth.

This! Running through the parks is a big selling point!! I don't do these races to just run near the parks. Nor to run in/out of the parks early with as minimal a footprint as possible. I pay for the PARKS moments, and I like a grand, theme park-based, last mile+ finale!

Reducing or front-loading park race time for "operational" cost-based reasons is bad. An important "operation" on a runDisney race morning is the race. They gotta stop making a myriad of cost-cutting choices at the expense of the race participants' overall experience.

Here's hoping for excellent course maps (and excellent everything!) in January!

Last edited:
This! Running through the parks is a big selling point!! I don't do these races to just run near the parks. Nor to run in/out of the parks early with as minimal a footprint as possible. I pay for the PARKS moments, and I like a grand, theme park-based, last mile+ finale!

Reducing or front-loading park race time for "operational" cost-based reasons is bad. An important "operation" on a runDisney race morning is the race. They gotta stop making a myriad of cost-cutting choices at the expense of the race participants' overall experience.

Here's hoping for excellent course maps (and excellent everything!) in January!
You are 100% right but, unfortunately RunD8sney cares more about ROI than the running experience.

SAFD: We will be arriving Thursday, doing parks Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and leaving Monday. We have reservations but might change them around depending on whether or not we find a Rose and Crown fireworks package for Saturday or not.

It is a short trip but we are going with some friends that are all running races and my mom so it will be fun.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed - I think I’m still suffering from post-W&D race brain!

A couple other things that happened with W&D that may or may not be in play for MW…

1. Athletes With Disabilities (AWD): rD changed its policy (relatively last minute, as I recall, right?) and did not allow AWDs to start in a separate corral ahead of the larger field - they were required to start in the regular corrals. I saw in real time how this negatively impacted the AWDs, and read multiple reports afterward saying the same. I’ve run a lot of WDW races and never seen so many AWDs struggling on the course - the way the course was laid out, the congestion never really broke up, so AWDs who used to have some time for things to spread out and give them more space just never seemed to get that this time. I remember one runner with a service dog and a guide that were having a hard time because the road was crowded and runners wanting to pass didn’t see the dog until the last minute. The AWD and guide were dping their absolute best, and the service dog was glued to the AWD’s side, not veering off or anything, but they simply needed more space.

2. Very much reduced volunteers: I forget the percentages now, but they started with FAR fewer people signed up to volunteer, and a large number of those never showed up. CMs were voluntold to work OT to fill some of the vacancies. I started a little back of mid-pack for the W&D half and never encountered any issues, though there were noticeably fewer people handing out water at the later stations, but friends of mine who finished further back said some later stations ran out of supplies and/or were unmanned.

3. Corral E: I don’t even know how to explain this… the way the half was set up, there were corrals for A-D and we went into our corrals the normal way - as soon as the Runners Only area opened, the corrals were open for people to enter. But not E. E was supposed to - IDK, roam freely around the tents/stage, etc.?! - until whatever time they would be allowed to go to the corrals, at which point corral B would have emptied and the E folks would use B to start. But nobody there seemed real sure of how that would work, and E ended up corralling in a separate fenced area with no TV screens, no speakers, no communication at all. When they were directed to head over to B, apparently it was an all-out sprint to get to the front. I very much hope rD realizes this was really bad form and doesn’t attempt it again, but who knows?

I hate to sound negative, but these are just facts about what happened at W&D. I’ve noticed that rD/WDW really seems to pull its ish together for MW pretty consistently, so I’d like to think someone learned some things from W&D and will put on a better show in January. But they also have new race direction this season and to me, it felt a bit amateur-ish.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has already been discussed - I think I’m still suffering from post-W&D race brain!

A couple other things that happened with W&D that may or may not be in play for MW…

1. Athletes With Disabilities (AWD): rD changed its policy (relatively last minute, as I recall, right?) and did not allow AWDs to start in a separate corral ahead of the larger field - they were required to start in the regular corrals. I saw in real time how this negatively impacted the AWDs, and read multiple reports afterward saying the same. I’ve run a lot of WDW races and never seen so many AWDs struggling on the course - the way the course was laid out, the congestion never really broke up, so AWDs who used to have some time for things to spread out and give them more space just never seemed to get that thi time. I remember one runner with a service dog and a guide that were having a hard time because the road was crowded and runners wanting to pass didn’t see the dog until the last minute. The AWD and guide were dang their absolute best, and the service dog was glued to the AWD’s side, not veering off or anything, but they simply needed more space.
From what I've read, it's *ambulatory* AWDs that are starting in regular corrals, and rollDisney is still starting in the "back of B" corral. I could be wrong. I've also seen a few runners who use a service dog say that they are reaching out to rD about a refund because they won't put their dog in that kind of a stressful situation. I really hope runDisney goes back to placing ALL of the AWD runners in the back of B. If it ain't broke....

2. Very much reduced volunteers: I forget the percentages now, but they started with FAR fewer people signed up to volunteer, and a large number of those never showed up. CMs were voluntold to work OT to fill some of the vacancies. I started a little back of mid-pack for the W&D half and never encountered any issues, though there were noticeably fewer people handing out water at the later stations, but friends of mine who finished further back said some later stations ran out of supplies and/or were unmanned.
This makes me very nervous for MW. Ugh. I don't want to run with a vest/handheld for 6-7 hours because they can't adequately staff/stock their aid stations. The fact that Disney has historically done a good job with their aid stations for ALL runners (yes, i know they ran out of bananas at a station last year) and that it's a "selling" point for first-time marathoners mean this is something they shouldn't be messing up. The possibilities of cascading results could be very MW2020.

3. Corral E: I don’t even know how to explain this… the way the half was set up, there were corrals for A-D and we went into our corrals the normal way - as soon as the Runners Only area opened, the corrals were open for people to enter. But not E. E was supposed to - IDK, roam freely around the tents/stage, etc.?! - until whatever time they would be allowed to go to the corrals, at which point corral B would have emptied and the E folks would use B to start. But nobody there seemed real sure of how that would work, and E ended up corralling in a separate fenced area with no TV screens, no speakers, no communication at all. When they were directed to head over to B, apparently it was an all-out sprint to get to the front. I very much hope rD realizes this was really bad form and doesn’t attempt it again, but who knows?
Yeah that's bad. It's basically "othering" E corral runners, and that's not OK. Also, possibly really dangerous if people were sitting and waiting for access to the actual starting corral and then people start running over them to try to get to the front? Nope.

But they also have new race direction this season and to me, it felt a bit amateur-ish.
I do not understand why someone, in their first "go" of a race weekend, would change that much stuff.

Last edited:
You are 100% right but, unfortunately RunD8sney cares more about ROI than the running experience.
This! <Does a Coach Beard pointing gesture>

Disney will continue to see what they can do in terms of charging more / worse customer experience until attendance drops off. Not just the races, but park experience in general. Nothing like a business model of seeing just how much your customers will tolerate getting p-ssed off.

And @GreatLakes signature file is what was coming to mind in the discussion about running for our health vs our issues brought on by running. Well said:
Being healthy is hard.
Being unhealthy is hard.

Choose your hard.

The fact that Disney has historically done a good job with their aid stations for ALL runners (yes, i know they ran out of bananas at a station last year)

Actually last year they also ran out of Biofreeze at the aid station near the missed banana stop. I distinctly remember thinking "really, Disney?" I wound up giving the emergency packet of Biofreeze that I had to a nearby runner who was pretty upset/really needed the Biofreeze.

I don't assume that any race (including or especially Disney) is going to have what I need when I need it. I may look a bit like a sherpa at times (particularly with my fuel), but that's just how I roll.

a

Disney will continue to see what they can do in terms of charging more / worse customer experience until attendance drops off. Not just the races, but park experience in general. Nothing like a business model of seeing just how much your customers will tolerate getting p-ssed off.

Yeah, and it takes a while before people opting out actually affects their bottom line, if ever. Though resort bookings are soft for 2024, per one well-known Disney podcast. Could be many reasons for it, but it's interesting.

I've cancelled a few Disney trips myself recently. The theme park 7am (!?!) upcharges upon upcharges, combined with cuts/elimination of things I really liked, took away my urgency to visit post-pandemic even though I'd intended to go for a few races. And I went 2-3x a year before. I'm registered for the January half, though! :)

Last edited:
Hi all, looking for some practical advice here! I am traveling solo to WDW for Dopey, staying onsite. I don’t have an annual pass, so trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy park tickets for a few of the days I will be there.
I won’t arrive on Weds until early afternoon, so will have to go to the expo first. I could go to MK that day, since there are late hours for deluxe resort guests. Is it a horrible idea to stay up late the night before the 5k, as long as I planned to get a nap the following day?
I don’t think it would be a good idea for me to go to the parks on Friday or Saturday (before the half and full) bc I would be tempted to stay too late to get value out of the ticket, but maybe I could rally for a park on Sunday since at that point all the running is over? Again I know I would want to stay as long as possible to get my money’s worth so not sure how great of an idea it is since I haven’t done dopey before (only Goofy). My other option would be to do a fun or fancy dinner - I have Hoop de doo booked for Sunday at 430 right now.
I’m leaving Monday morning so no chance for a park that day. Any thoughts or recommendations welcome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter