Marathon Weekend 2024

Life threw another reminder to me yesterday that I am 45, not 25 years old. Yesterday was our skills testing for a youth baseball team I help coach. Some of the players kept asking me to participate in the drills with them. Ended up straining my groin muscle on my right leg. It was one of those really good groin strains where you hear the pop, then feel the pain not only in your leg, but also up the bottom of your back. Great, only 4 weeks out from MW. Told my buddy who is running the marathon with me that the 4 hour marathon goal may be more like 6 hours. Giving it the weekend off and then we start rehabbing next week. I told my wife I am going Aaron Rogers on this and going to be back running full speed in three weeks. That was met with a nice eye roll. LOL!

Life threw another reminder to me yesterday that I am 45, not 25 years old. Yesterday was our skills testing for a youth baseball team I help coach. Some of the players kept asking me to participate in the drills with them. Ended up straining my groin muscle on my right leg. It was one of those really good groin strains where you hear the pop, then feel the pain not only in your leg, but also up the bottom of your back. Great, only 4 weeks out from MW. Told my buddy who is running the marathon with me that the 4 hour marathon goal may be more like 6 hours. Giving it the weekend off and then we start rehabbing next week. I told my wife I am going Aaron Rogers on this and going to be back running full speed in three weeks. That was met with a nice eye roll. LOL!
That really sucks! I haven't had the displeasure of a strained groin, but have had similar injuries that I don't think would have happened 25 years ago when I was 25. For what it's worth, I strained my right hamstring jumping rope before a morning run. Brilliant me thought that it would be fine to jump rope on my driveway in the dark. I tripped and the way that I landed strained my hamstring. Are you able to do easy runs or is it too painful? If our injuries are similar at all, I was able to do easy runs after a couple of days rest and the injury healed within three weeks.

Good luck!

Sounds like we're going to need to rebrand the Goof Troop Roving Road Party to be the Goof Troop Walking Wounded Survival March.

Despite the bad news, you sound like you're in good spirits. Good job keeping your chin up. I think I would be in a depression if that happened to me!

Despite the bad news, you sound like you're in good spirits. Good job keeping your chin up. I think I would be in a depression if that happened to me!
Oh yea. In totally good spirits. It's one of those injuries where it was because I re-living my Al Bundy glory days instead of being smart about it. My son, who is a college baseball player, gave me so much crap about it. So not hard to laugh about it.

That really sucks! I haven't had the displeasure of a strained groin, but have had similar injuries that I don't think would have happened 25 years ago when I was 25. For what it's worth, I strained my right hamstring jumping rope before a morning run. Brilliant me thought that it would be fine to jump rope on my driveway in the dark. I tripped and the way that I landed strained my hamstring. Are you able to do easy runs or is it too painful? If our injuries are similar at all, I was able to do easy runs after a couple of days rest and the injury healed within three weeks.

Good luck!

I haven't tried to run on it yet. I am going to give it the weekend to start healing and for the little swelling to subside. Then I will start some strengthening exercises and mid next week I will try to do a slow jog and see how that feels.

I'm going to vent here for a minute so I don't make a fool of myself on FB. I totally understand charities lowering or waiving fundraising requirements so they can recoup their costs on bibs, but it has been extremely infuriating seeing people swoop in the last couple of days and beg people to help them find free bibs with charities. Responding to a charity soliciting as such is one thing, but people actively waiting until now to take advantage of charities in this way just makes me so freaking angry. I have raised almost $5000 this year to run three race weekends with GKTW because I care about the cause and because it was a fun way to register for a runDisney race. But I've seen people commenting in the last month "just wait until December 1st and charities will be selling their bibs at cost." Or people posting "looking for a charity bib for X race where fundraising is completely waived ONLY. Thanks!" That's not cool. Be better, people.

End rant. Happy Friday all.

I'm going to vent here for a minute so I don't make a fool of myself on FB. I totally understand charities lowering or waiving fundraising requirements so they can recoup their costs on bibs, but it has been extremely infuriating seeing people swoop in the last couple of days and beg people to help them find free bibs with charities. Responding to a charity soliciting as such is one thing, but people actively waiting until now to take advantage of charities in this way just makes me so freaking angry. I have raised almost $5000 this year to run three race weekends with GKTW because I care about the cause and because it was a fun way to register for a runDisney race. But I've seen people commenting in the last month "just wait until December 1st and charities will be selling their bibs at cost." Or people posting "looking for a charity bib for X race where fundraising is completely waived ONLY. Thanks!" That's not cool. Be better, people.

FWIW, you and I are completely on the same page. People really do suck sometimes!

My 6 year old managed to raise the $650 required for the 5k. I have a hard time believing grown adults aren't capable of doing that.
It sucks for the charities, because either they buy fewer bibs, and therefore get less money raised, or they end up having to give it away for free because of people like that.

My 6 year old managed to raise the $650 required for the 5k. I have a hard time believing grown adults aren't capable of doing that.
It sucks for the charities, because either they buy fewer bibs, and therefore get less money raised, or they end up having to give it away for free because of people like that.
While I agree wholeheartedly that it's poor form and damaging for people to hold out on charities until they can cherry pick bibs without fundraising, I would also say it's a bit of a stretch to essentially claim that anyone should be able to fundraise the amount required by these charities. As an introvert with a very small social circle and a busy schedule, I am 100% certain that I would not be able to raise the required money, even the (relatively) small amount that you quoted for a 5k bib and I'm certain that I'm not alone in that.

While I agree wholeheartedly that it's poor form and damaging for people to hold out on charities until they can cherry pick bibs without fundraising, I would also say it's a bit of a stretch to essentially claim that anyone should be able to fundraise the amount required by these charities. As an introvert with a very small social circle and a busy schedule, I am 100% certain that I would not be able to raise the required money, even the (relatively) small amount that you quoted for a 5k bib and I'm certain that I'm not alone in that.
I'm also all of those, so I was surprised we didn't end up paying the majority of the fundraising goal honestly. My son really surprised me by asking friends and teachers at school if they wanted to buy handmade bags that I make.

I’ll just add in since we got a “leftover” bib from MS 2 years ago for DH when we were unable to snag one before they sold out on registration day. (We have a very hard time with fundraising as we coach or are involved with a lot of school stuff and do fundraising throughout the year for that, so our resources are pretty maxed out on that front.)

We payed for the bib. This means that the charity didn’t lose money. They did not just give it to us. And we also made a donation, (because imo that’s the right thing to do) and I believe that many of them say no fundraising, but still ask that you make a nominal donation ~$50-100 range depending on the bib.

But purposefully holding out to get a no-fundraising charity bib, and broadcasting that for months ahead of the event is icky.

I'm also an introvert, and have done three charity bibs in the last year. It's not easy, especially the last one. For that one, I ended up selling old jewelry on Mercari that I hadn't worn in years to help raise funds. They were all pieces I had bought over the years, had no sentimental value, and when I asked myself when was the last time I wore them, I couldn't remember. I'll be taking a break from the charity route, but it has meant a lot that I could do some good with this running habit.

Is it Controversial Position Post Day? Because I’ve got one to add…

I was just looking though albums from previous races and the socially-distanced character photos from the races immediately after the COVID shutdown? Were far superior to the normal character photos. The extra foliage used as barriers and having us pose a little in front of and to the sides of characters gave the shots much-needed depth and texture, and the lighting was much better! I may do my best to replicate that next round of race photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter