Marathon Weekend 2024

Just had to chime in on the charity bib conversation. I am a card carrying introvert - struggle in social settings, constantly second guess everything I just did or said and generally groove along best when running alone in the woods or reading a book.

For the 2022 NYCM I had to fundraise $5000. Potentially one of the hardest things I ever did, but I met the goal (still in therapy😆🤣) but got it done. So an introvert can do this! On the other hand I am tapped out now, I used all my resources. This is not something I could do again.

I really like the idea of a person providing a donation when getting a no-fundraising bib just before a race. That seems fair. But if someone is simply holding out, willing to miss the race entirely, for a charity bib at the last second with fundraising removed…. Well then I say “not cool!”

Just had to chime in on the charity bib conversation. I am a card carrying introvert - struggle in social settings, constantly second guess everything I just did or said and generally groove along best when running alone in the woods or reading a book.

For the 2022 NYCM I had to fundraise $5000. Potentially one of the hardest things I ever did, but I met the goal (still in therapy😆🤣) but got it done. So an introvert can do this! On the other hand I am tapped out now, I used all my resources. This is not something I could do again.

I really like the idea of a person providing a donation when getting a no-fundraising bib just before a race. That seems fair. But if someone is simply holding out, willing to miss the race entirely, for a charity bib at the last second with fundraising removed…. Well then I say “not cool!”
The latter is definitely my issue. I know how hard fundraising is. And, like you, I have most likely completely exhausted my fundraising base for at least the next year getting to $5000 for my three race weekends. I enjoyed doing it, but it was a lot of work.

Relatedly, I couldn't help myself and commented on a post where someone was looking for a Princess weekend bib and some guy commented "just wait a month and you can get a charity bib at cost with no fundraising." I commented on how tacky it is to give advice like that to basically intentionally exploit a charity and was expectedly met with a lot of backlash. I got a week-long ban on commenting or posting in the group because apparently commenting "enjoy being a terrible person" is a personal attack. *shrug* 🤣

Attachments

• not-cool-last-man-standing.gif
    not-cool-last-man-standing.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

Just curious... does anyone know if Disney gives these bibs to the charities for free? Or do the charities pay Disney for the bibs hoping to come out ahead on the deal?

Just curious... does anyone know if Disney gives these bibs to the charities for free? Or do the charities pay Disney for the bibs hoping to come out ahead on the deal?
My understanding is that the charities have to purchase the bibs from rundisney.

And, I think it was last year(?) they changed when the charities had to pay for them. (Disclaimer, I could be totally wrong, and if I am, I will come back and edit this.) IIRC the discussions I saw correctly, charities used to pay for the bibs quite a bit later, but had an allotment that they signed up for. And then last year (may have been 2 years ago, with the post-covid races) Disney changed that and made the charities pay for the bibs up front. That's why you see so much in the charity groups about "cost of the bib + $____ fundraising"

*Hot Take*
I feel like the charity groups are 'always' offering bibs near the race with no fundraising requirement. Maybe they could cut back on how many they take so the normal purchase pool is bigger.
Or maybe a hefty deposit for the bib that is not refundable unless you raise goal funds. Then, people will realize the commitment before hogging charity bibs.

Or maybe a hefty deposit for the bib that is not refundable unless you raise goal funds. Then, people will realize the commitment before hogging charity bibs.
most of the charities (from what I've read) take a CC number when you register with them, and if you don't raise the full amount of funds they charge your card the balance. And generally, you don't get your bib/registration link until you've raised a percentage of the funds.

Shoe Question: Do you run back to back races like Goofy in the same style/make of shoe, or go with completely different brands for each race or maybe a different style of the same brand? I know not to use the same exact pair two days in a row, but I’ve been having issues finding a good fit with one of my go to shoes, New Balance, and am debating getting another pair of Brooks in the same style that I already have or try a new style altogether. Being so close to MW is making me nervous about trying a brand new style.

Shoe Question: Do you run back to back races like Goofy in the same style/make of shoe, or go with completely different brands for each race or maybe a different style of the same brand? I know not to use the same exact pair two days in a row, but I’ve been having issues finding a good fit with one of my go to shoes, New Balance, and am debating getting another pair of Brooks in the same style that I already have or try a new style altogether. Being so close to MW is making me nervous about trying a brand new style.
I plan on wearing my training shoes for the 5 and 10K (endorphin speed 3), then a vapor fly for the half and an endorphin pro 3 for the full. Seems like a good plan based on my simulations.:-)

*Hot Take*
I feel like the charity groups are 'always' offering bibs near the race with no fundraising requirement. Maybe they could cut back on how many they take so the normal purchase pool is bigger.
That’s part of the issue, it’s well known that these bibs will likely pop up and meanwhile a bunch of people had missed out on the initial registration for whatever reason, so it’s inevitable that this happens. Some will turn to charity bibs immediately but for others the funding requirement can be intimidating. I did it once for a 10k but I don’t know if it’s something I could handle for a longer race.

most of the charities (from what I've read) take a CC number when you register with them, and if you don't raise the full amount of funds they charge your card the balance. And generally, you don't get your bib/registration link until you've raised a percentage of the funds.
Yep. I knew I was on the hook for the fundraising amount from the start, they made it very clear.

For my son’s 5k charity bib, we had to put down $100 to register, and if he hadn’t finished his fundraising by Dec 1, he wouldn’t get his bib. They wouldn’t have charged my card.

For long races - 13.1 and 26.2 - I’ll only wear a shoe in which I’ve already comfortably run close to that distance. Now, there have been times I’ve only run long once before the race in a particular shoe, but if that felt good, I know I’ll be fine in it on race day. Sometimes that’s meant the exact same make and model on both days, just different colorways, and other times, when the Universe has allowed more than one make/model of shoe to feel good in a year, it’s a different shoe per race. I’d say if the NB isn’t cutting it but the Brooks is, and you can get a new pair of the same model Brooks, go for it. But it wouldn’t hurt to try something new this far out - you’ve got time to see if it’ll work.

I think it's more important to have a shoe that you know works for you.

IMO, it would be more important to not wear the same shoe make for all of the days (including outside of the races.) I have a really hard time with shoe fit, and I run exclusively in NB1080 shoes. And they're also my 'casual shoe' when I'm not running (older pairs that are nearly dead.) So last MW I was in 1080s 95% of the time for almost a week. My feet were really sore and achy, so I'm planning on having a completely different shoe to wear at the parks, expo, etc.

I do have another pair of NB shoes to wear (different model) but I know that they will give me blisters on the tips of my 4th toes, and I'm still debating whether or not I want to wear them for the half.

If I have enough different shoes that I can wear different styles of shoes for every race, I do that. I currently have 5 different pairs of shoes I rotation across 2 different brands, and only 2 of them are the same style shoe (though 1 of those is half a size larger, so it still fits a little differently) I use retired running shoes as my walking shoes, and those are also different styles than my current running shoes.

In years past, I have worn the same model (Asics Novablast 2), a different pair every other day. This year I picked up a pair of Novablast 3 and love them. They have more cushioning in the forefoot than in years past. So I am going with those for marathon day. I also have a new pair of Novablast 2. So sticking with the every other day method, Novablast 2 for 5k and half marathon, Novablast 3 for 10k and marathon.

For walking around the parks, I will be wearing Asics Gel Nimbus 25. I actually picked them up to try out for Marathon Weekend, but I found that my foot got too hot in them to wear for a marathon. So I figured with that max cushioning, it will be nice to wear them around the parks after the races.

Shoes: I’ll be using a pair of mizuno wave riders for the 5 and half, a different pair of the same for the 10, and my endorphin speed 3 for a PR attempt at the full. The parks will get an old pair of over miles shoes that I can use for a race if I had to due to luggage or rain problems.
really it’s whatever is most comfortable for you, but I’d recommend prioritizing the longest race.

Thanks everyone for your shoe info. I tried on a pair of NB 1080’s today and wow were they weird. I’m so used to a stability shoe that they made me a bit nervous I would twist my ankle. I ordered a new pair of the NB 860’s from a specialty shoe store but they may take 3 weeks to come in. I may just go and pick up another pair of the Brooks Adrenaline and use them for the marathon and use my current pair of Adrenaline’s (less than 100 miles) for the half. Either way I’m getting new shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter