Marathon Weekend 2024

RunDisney newbie here from the UK excited to be running my second marathon and my first ever Disney race! Is there any way to find out what corral I’ll be in before picking up my bib?

Not definitively prior to picking up your bib, but you can get a pretty good idea with the following:

1703097551826.png

5k/10k are listed as having five corrals (A through E).
-Go look at your registration and see what you chose for "anticipated pace per mile". There were five choices:

1703097637162.png

If you chose "under 8 min", then you're likely in Corral A. If you chose "14:01-16:00", then you're likely in Corral E.

The HM/M are listed as having six corrals (A through F).
-Go look at your registration, and see whether you submitted a POT under the required times or see what you chose for "anticipated pace per mile". There were five choices (old image when 2:01-2:15 was not POT eligible):

1703097782105.png

The M also had five drop down choices for anticipated finish time: 4:30-5:00, 5:00-5:30, 5:30-6:00, 6:00-6:30, and 6:30-7:00.

POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

1703097906614.png

Based on past weekends (which is not always indicative of future choices), runDisney has used something close to the above.

-So if you chose a 2:30-2:45 HM anticipated finish, then you're likely in Corral D (or thereabouts).
-If you submitted a 59 min 10k for the WDW HM, then you're likely in Corral B
-If you submitted a 1:52 HM for the WDW Dopey Challenge, then you're likely in Corral A for the HM/M and your 5k/10k placement is still based on the "anticipated pace per mile" submitted at registration.

As for distribution, the data is pretty solid for POT.
-About 20% of the Marathon field will have a POT under 4:30 (About 11% have sub-4 and 9% have 4:00-4:30).
-About 17% of the HM field will have a POT under 2:15 (About 9% have sub-2:00 and 8% have 2:00-2:15)

The first non-POT (2:15-2:30 for HM and 4:30-5:00 for M) will have about 30% of the field.

Hope that helps!

Hi folks! I generally lurk here, but I need the collective wisdom! I've been kicking a decision down the road over and over again. Clearly no one else can decide for me, but I'm wondering if I missed anything.

Past race weekends, I've stayed onsite and relied on Disney transportation. Usually just a 2 or 3 night stay. Now I'm running Dopey for my first and surely only time plus two fun days after. So a much longer stay with my best friend. This time, I've booked two options and it's time to cancel one. We will have a rental car. Pricing is probably about the same.

Option 1: I booked the new Drury Inn in Disney Springs with a great deal almost a year ago. I have two rooms, a view of Epcot (firework view), a balcony, and in room minifridge and microwave. Seems so much easier for two adults who might need a little space when staying together for a whole week. The free breakfast and kickback are minor considerations. The access to Disney Spring is appealing because we don't plan to do park time Jan 3-6. We'll see a movie, take naps, and rest our legs. We will have to drive ourselves to the races. Now that the maps are out, I think that we're okay to do that?

Option 2: Port Orleans Riverside: Our old standby and favorite. Can drive, but don't have to. Can use our car to get offsite and still save a little $$ by hitting grocery stores, etc, but no in-room meal prep capability beyond storing yogurt in the fridge.

Option 3 (the complicated one) do a split stay and stay offsite when everything is really crowded and we're not doing parks anyway, then move to POR after the 10K. Never done a split stay, but it's not like that afternoon is super busy...

Anything I'm missing?
Grateful for insights!

I'd stay with the Drury. I had been in the "always stay on property and take the bus" camp until MW 2022. We had to cancel the family trip due to everyone catching COVID and it turned into a quick weekend race trip for me. I stayed off site and drove and having a car to wait in, go back and change in, and not have to mess with buses changed my mind for future races. I'll have to take the bus this time because my wife will need the car on race morning but even when we stay on property we always rent a car and always drive to the parks anyway.

I also can't really justify the price on property any longer when there is a good alternative. We do still stay on property from time to time but it isn't without a bit of annoyance at what they charge. Let's all be honest here, the moderates are really no better than a 3 star Marriott.

May look to join the party people in Team Not So Fast if there's room for another!
Sorry to hear about the changes. Since HM could also mean Haunted Mansion, I think Team Not So Fast always has room for one more.
giphy.gif

I'm interested in the answer to your question, since my family is in the same boat. I want them to wait for me at Coronado for a water/GU refill, and they'll want to head to the finish line after. I'm going with the assumption that they'll take the rD busses.
Early entry to Epcot that day is at 9:30am. My guess it that they would be able to ride the normal park bus, unless you are really fast runner.

My wife asked about waiting at CSR to watch me run by and then trying to head over to Epcot. I told her I didn't think they would have enough time given the road closures.

I told her I didn't think they would have enough time given the road closures.

I'm thinking that too. But selfishly I prefer seeing them on course. 😆 With the issue with (lack of) on-course volunteers, I'm aiming to carry all of my water and fueling. I'll really appreciate having my husband hand me some stuff at the 19 mile mark. We'll see day of as well, depending on the weather and all that.

I'm aiming for a 12:30 pace. That still gives them almost 90 minutes to reach me at the finish line.

Anyone else hate driving on vacation? I think that’s why I end up on Disney trips so often :rotfl:
I'm with you on this. I don't like to take vacations where I have to rent a car and drive it. That's why I am intent on staying on property when I go to Disney World so I can take Disney transportation everywhere and remain in the bubble. I have taken a Lyft once or twice while on property when I was trying to get somewhere directly and quickly, but that's my limit. I am a runDisney bus guy all the way!

My wife is in a similar boat. She had a major surgery earlier this year and basically never got back to running after. She is registered for the half marathon. My daughter is also registered for the half. She hasn't trained at all (her own doing). The both thought about bowing out, but I think they are going to try to walk the race and challenge the balloon ladies.
Due to a variety of reasons, none of which had to do with injury, my little sister once finished Dopey untrained. It helped that she had a POT from the previous year to give her an earlier cushion and she spent most of the race anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute ahead of the balloon ladies, but she did finish. So, though far from ideal, it can certainly be done.

And honestly given the cost of runDisney races and the no refunds/deferrals policy, I don't fault anyone for at least starting the race and see what happens. You don't want to injure yourself, but if you accept that you have no time to stop for photos, etc. you just might be able to finish. The 16:00 per mile pace is doable.

Due to a variety of reasons, none of which had to do with injury, my little sister once finished Dopey untrained. It helped that she had a POT from the previous year to give her an earlier cushion and she spent most of the race anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute ahead of the balloon ladies, but she did finish. So, though far from ideal, it can certainly be done.
You have no idea how much I needed to read this today. I was doing so well with my training for months and then had an IT band injury flare back up, which set me back for a couple weeks in training. All I want to do is finish Dopey without another injury and I am probably going to have to walk a lot more than I originally intended, but this gives me hope that I can shuffle along during the half and the full and still potentially finish.

You have no idea how much I needed to read this today. I was doing so well with my training for months and then had an IT band injury flare back up, which set me back for a couple weeks in training. All I want to do is finish Dopey without another injury and I am probably going to have to walk a lot more than I originally intended, but this gives me hope that I can shuffle along during the half and the full and still potentially finish.
I'm happy to have helped. I'm not sure I could have finished my first marathon without this community helping me along the way, including talking me down from a pretty discouraging week of training where I was ready to give up altogether.

I feel that we sometimes get so caught up in happy, smiling race photos, or even happier, smiling post race medal photos that we forget the training runs that felt like they took an eternity or the time we didn't want to run, but went out there anyways, to say nothing of the inner bouts of discouragement we struggle with when trying to come back from injury.

I'm still recovering from my recent hospital stay. From the outside, I look like I'm back to normal. Internally, I know I'm not there yet. It's hard sometimes to think about where I was last year and then not feel frustrated because I know I'm not there this year. I get excited thinking about possible Star Wars characters in Galaxy's Edge during the upcoming Disneyland races and then remind myself that I might not be able to stop for photos because my speed isn't back yet.

At the same time, the other day I looked at my daily step count in the hospital from my Garmin. That put things in perspective. At the end of the day, giving it our best given the circumstances is a victory in and of itself.

My daughter is also registered for the half. She hasn't trained at all (her own doing). The both thought about bowing out, but I think they are going to try to walk the race and challenge the balloon ladies.
Last year my adult DD didn’t train, but she was able to do some run/walk with me in the half. The percentage walking kept increasing as the race went on, but we had fun together. It’s nice to be younger.

Anyone have family last year go to the finish line from Coronado Springs Resort last year on marathon day? If so, how long did it take them to get there? My family is trying to figure out what time to leave so that they can watch me finish.
We stayed there last year and my husband took a race bus to Epcot. He left about 90 minutes before my estimated finish. It meant some waiting around in the reunion area, but he met up with some others in our group at one of the beer tables.

Anyone have family last year go to the finish line from Coronado Springs Resort last year on marathon day? If so, how long did it take them to get there? My family is trying to figure out what time to leave so that they can watch me finish.
My partner did and will likely do it again this time. I’m not sure how long it took him but he drove himself so wasn’t at the mercy of the buses. It’s less than a 10 min drive.

He actually cheered for me around mile 22 outside of Coronado, walked to his car, drove to Epcot, parked, cleared security, and walked to the finish line in time to catch me finish. So that whole ordeal was less than 40 minutes. Coronado is a couple miles earlier in the course this year so he’ll have more of a buffer.

I'm interested in the answer to your question, since my family is in the same boat. I want them to wait for me at Coronado for a water/GU refill, and they'll want to head to the finish line after. I'm going with the assumption that they'll take the rD busses.
It’s a very easy drive if they have a car. The roads are open to guests. I’m not sure how frequently the rD buses run but they could also catch the park buses so they’d at least have two options.

Forgot to add I’m in team undertrained this year for Dopey. I got sick AGAIN with some bug. I still have a lingering sore throat and runny nose. I tried to push through the best I can, but had to bail 45 minutes into my last 16 miler over the weekend. I’m not worried about finishing. It’s the soreness I am not looking forward to. We fly to Disneyland on Tuesday and sitting on a plane might be torture 😬 I scheduled a massage for Monday so hopefully that will help some!

Forgot to add I’m in team undertrained this year for Dopey. I got sick AGAIN with some bug. I still have a lingering sore throat and runny nose. I tried to push through the best I can, but had to bail 45 minutes into my last 16 miler over the weekend. I’m not worried about finishing. It’s the soreness I am not looking forward to. We fly to Disneyland on Tuesday and sitting on a plane might be torture 😬 I scheduled a massage for Monday so hopefully that will help some!
Feel better and good luck with your races!

I don't have exact times but my husband was still at GDT when I passed by and he made it to Epcot on the regular park busses to see me run by France. He could have seen me more in the park and at the finish....but he started riding rides. 🙃 If it helps with timing I ran a 4:56 out of the front of corral C. If you'd like I can look back at my data and see when I passed by the resort so you'd know what time he was still there.

Hi folks! I generally lurk here, but I need the collective wisdom! I've been kicking a decision down the road over and over again. Clearly no one else can decide for me, but I'm wondering if I missed anything.

Past race weekends, I've stayed onsite and relied on Disney transportation. Usually just a 2 or 3 night stay. Now I'm running Dopey for my first and surely only time plus two fun days after. So a much longer stay with my best friend. This time, I've booked two options and it's time to cancel one. We will have a rental car. Pricing is probably about the same.

Option 1: I booked the new Drury Inn in Disney Springs with a great deal almost a year ago. I have two rooms, a view of Epcot (firework view), a balcony, and in room minifridge and microwave. Seems so much easier for two adults who might need a little space when staying together for a whole week. The free breakfast and kickback are minor considerations. The access to Disney Spring is appealing because we don't plan to do park time Jan 3-6. We'll see a movie, take naps, and rest our legs. We will have to drive ourselves to the races. Now that the maps are out, I think that we're okay to do that?

Option 2: Port Orleans Riverside: Our old standby and favorite. Can drive, but don't have to. Can use our car to get offsite and still save a little $$ by hitting grocery stores, etc, but no in-room meal prep capability beyond storing yogurt in the fridge.

Option 3 (the complicated one) do a split stay and stay offsite when everything is really crowded and we're not doing parks anyway, then move to POR after the 10K. Never done a split stay, but it's not like that afternoon is super busy...

Anything I'm missing?
Grateful for insights!

Just to add to all the other thoughts/ideas- I started staying off-property (usually AirBnB) as I have found it to be more reliably quieter than any of the Disney properties. Both for heading to bed earlier the night before, sleeping before the race and post race afternoon napping. Of course, you can encounter noisy neighbors anywhere- but it happened to me ONE TOO MANY times during race weekends. I now love driving in early and hanging out in the car -having some breakfast. And really enjoy being in my own space post-race to chill and pick up any beverage/post-race snack I desire.. It would be tough going back to the buses anymore.

Not sure I have much to add to the bus vs. car discussion as I have only ever taken the bus. I could do the math to figure out how many times I have taken the bus from a resort for a race, this will be my 8th Dopey plus one Goofy and two Spring Surprises. But at 10:50 at night the chances that my math is going to be close to accurate would match my accuracy 17 miles into a marathon when I am desperate and trying to calculate time to the finish…

One pro bus thought: In all those trips to the race I can remember only one time that a bus got lost and delayed us enough to be stressful. But almost every time on a bus I have really enjoyed the camaraderie of being around the energy of fellow runners pre race, listening to stories, meeting people and really enjoying runDisney.

Not gonna lie though, @Bree left me a little shook with the thought of sitting in someone else’s sweat post race….

I don't have exact times but my husband was still at GDT when I passed by and he made it to Epcot on the regular park busses to see me run by France. He could have seen me more in the park and at the finish....but he started riding rides. 🙃 If it helps with timing I ran a 4:56 out of the front of corral C. If you'd like I can look back at my data and see when I passed by the resort so you'd know what time he was still there.
Thanks for this!

It'll probably help my kids wait if they can ride Guardians or Soarin while I run :P They are not interested in the least in seeing me run haha

I'll chime in... This will be my 6th MW (4th Dopey) and I have driven to every race. I tend to get there early but stay in the car until closer to the start time. Great to stay warm especially on cooler mornings. The only year I had some regret is 2020 when I forgot exactly where I parked and I was walking up down isles for 40 minutes. 🤦‍♂️

This will be Dopey #3 for me. I am finally getting excited now that I can see past peak training week. That peak week seems to dominate my thoughts until we are through it. I always seem to compartmentalize the chaos I put my body through during that peak week and not remember it until I am doing it again in the training block the next year.

I was looking through the digital event guide and noticed that the half does not pass under Tron like the full does. That will be a unique experience.

I have a severe case of FOMO during race weekends and have noticed in the past all the cool things people find during the event. I always think to myself...where did they find that...I wish I would have experienced that or utilized that. Here is a list of things I wish I knew:

- 1 - Where do people get these cool after race drinks? I would love a cocktail in the post-race area. I have seen people drinking champagne in IG posts.
- 2 - Is there an unofficial listing of the food trucks that are typically in the pre-race/post-race area? I have found the coffee truck pre-race, but what else am I missing?
- 3 - During the marathon I have read many people partake in beverages along the route or they veer off the path slightly to pick up that special beverage. What are everyone's go-to locations along the route? I have read about the AK beverage stand near EE has opened early in the past.
- 4 - During the races, you will happen upon attractions being opened early for racers. Last year, I got to experience EE. I may have been hallucinating, but I thought I also saw them open up the tea cups as well. What are your thoughts, hopes and predictions for attractions during the races?
- 5 - I love a discount as much as the next person. We all know how much money we have to spend to collect these medals. What are your favorite discounts you have found for racers and what sort of proof do you need to bring to take advantage of that discount?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter