Marathon Weekend 2024

UGH after getting through all the training runs with no issues, during my 20 miler two weeks ago I started having some pain in my lower leg/ankle/foot. I haven't run since, but have been doing cycling and swimming. Have been to the doctor twice, and they think it is tibial nerve inflammation and did some treatments on me (sports chiro). I have one more DR appointment before I leave for Disney so still optimisitc that I will be able to run, but I'm worried.

Has anyone had to lay off running entirely for 2-3 weeks leading into a race and been OK? This will be my 14th marathon, so I am not new to endurance running and hoping my body will hang in there!
I finished dopey 2022 after knee pain kept me from running several weeks before the race. I ran the Philadelphia Marathon in November and started to have knee pain mid December. Looking back at my Garmin my last run was 14 miles on 12/12. I believe that was a sim weekend, and I didn’t finish the simulation so I was extra worried. I tried to go out a few times after that but didn’t make it any further than 1/2 a mile. I took all 4 races slower than normal because I wanted to finish and didn’t know how my knee would hold up. I finished the marathon about an hour and 20 minutes slower than Philly (but was also stopping for photos the entire course) but felt great. I was shocked that I hadn’t lost as much fitness as I was convinced I did. It really changed my perspective on worrying about losing fitness so quickly. I did cycle during that down time though so that probably helped.

Hope that it calms down for you and you’re able to run!

With one week to go before the start of the races, I thought it’s a good time to dust off the annual reminder that the hay is in the barn. As always, thanks go to Charles for first writing this many years ago. :)

Tapering tends to bring the nerves out
Thank you so much for posting this. Ran a short fast(ish) run yesterday and everything hurt, even parts that hadn't been achy before. I was hungry, I was tired, I was gasping for breath even with a low HR zone, I was whiny....
Make a pledge to use your nerves to help get you to and through the race. Once the gun goes off and you just hit the point where you are sweating, your case of nerves will soon disappear.
So pledged! I will do the warm up I know I need, take pictures while my costume still looks good and I still have lipstick on, chat with people I don't know in line and in the corrals. So if an awkward/introverted looking runner says hi, it might be me.

Alrighty! Here is the first draft of the MW Dis List. Please ignore that is says 2023. :upsidedow Kerry and I made some guesses on corral placement, but you might be able to make more educated guesses after expo passes (bib numbers) come out tomorrow.

Friendly reminder that this is just for fun, and unless you you factored it into your estimated pace, this does not account for character stops or any other shenanigans you may choose to participate in.

If we missed you or you're very confident that we have you in the wrong corral please tag me (@Herding_Cats) or Kerry (@Kerry1957) so we can fix it. I'm leaving on Sunday, so any adjustments/new versions after Saturday will be pending Kerry's availability to edit/save/publish a new version.

P.S. @DopeyBadger this spreadsheet is amazing

Attachments

• first draft MW 2023 DIS powerpoint.pptx.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 103
Alrighty! Here is the first draft of the MW Dis List. Please ignore that is says 2023. :upsidedow Kerry and I made some guesses on corral placement, but you might be able to make more educated guesses after expo passes (bib numbers) come out tomorrow.

Friendly reminder that this is just for fun, and unless you you factored it into your estimated pace, this does not account for character stops or any other shenanigans you may choose to participate in.

If we missed you or you're very confident that we have you in the wrong corral please tag me (@Herding_Cats) or Kerry (@Kerry1957) so we can fix it. I'm leaving on Sunday, so any adjustments/new versions after Saturday will be pending Kerry's availability to edit/save/publish a new version.

I have a qualifying POT so should be in B for half/full. I used same POT as last year and was A for 5K/10K, but RD isn’t consistent.

I have a qualifying POT so should be in B for half/full. I used same POT as last year and was A for 5K/10K, but RD isn’t consistent.
Good to know! I looked at least year's doc and thought I saw that you in C, which seemed odd. I will go adjust that. :)

UGH after getting through all the training runs with no issues, during my 20 miler two weeks ago I started having some pain in my lower leg/ankle/foot. I haven't run since, but have been doing cycling and swimming. Have been to the doctor twice, and they think it is tibial nerve inflammation and did some treatments on me (sports chiro). I have one more DR appointment before I leave for Disney so still optimisitc that I will be able to run, but I'm worried.

Has anyone had to lay off running entirely for 2-3 weeks leading into a race and been OK? This will be my 14th marathon, so I am not new to endurance running and hoping my body will hang in there!
MW 2020 I was dealing with hip pain that failed up during my Dopey simulation week. I skipped all my remaining runs and walked instead. I remember being in the corral for the 5K super anxious about my hip, I went very easy. I got through to the half marathon before my hip started to get tender. I slowed down, walked more, rested and treated my hip. I completed the marathon, not my finest race but I crossed the finish line.

It certainly can be done, but listen to your body and be willing to shift goals. You got this!

I'm not running the marathon this year, but I am already making plans for Dopey 2025. That being said, do you think that it's possible to go on Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest AND Dinosaur if you get to DAK at 7:30? Good luck to all running the marathon next weekend!

I did it for MW 2022. You are an experienced runner, no doubt you can get through it. Do consider your goals though. If you have some other big races planned, you are definitely going to want to take it easier than you are already planning to.

@Herding_Cats @Kerry1957 @DopeyBadger

Thank you so much for the list! I've used it every year I've done MW.

THIS!!! Also @DopeyBadger I know you are planning to do the DL races and our info is not nearly as extensive, but if there were plans to do something like this for DL that I could jump in and help with or take over, let me know. I do think even just the list of runners for each race with anticipated pacing could be useful, and I am happy to do that.

I'm not running the marathon this year, but I am already making plans for Dopey 2025. That being said, do you think that it's possible to go on Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest AND Dinosaur if you get to DAK at 7:30? Good luck to all running the marathon next weekend!

That would be a big stretch, imho. EE is on the route so the detour is very small and the queue goes fast (plus, single rider). Dinosaur will probably be down by Jan 2025 as they have already announced they are redoing it as Indy. I wouldn't even attempt KS as the line moves slowly, the ride is long, and the animals could cause delays. I'm also not sure it would be open, as they don't run the animal attractions until after sunrise.

I got super sick with RSV last year after Christmas, and was completely sidelined. Everything was fine during the races, except that I developed nasty bronchitis that lingered for weeks. You won’t lose any significant fitness during the taper, and pushing through could make things worse. That said, I am inherently skeptical of any chiropractor since they aren’t medical doctors who can offer a differential diagnosis. The entire field was created by a Canadian man who claimed the ghost of a doctor taught him how to heal people with his magnetic hands, and that he cured a janitor’s deafness by slapping him on the back.
I myself have been known on occasion to cure deafness in my children with a good smack....

;-)

I did it for MW 2022. You are an experienced runner, no doubt you can get through it. Do consider your goals though. If you have some other big races planned, you are definitely going to want to take it easier than you are already planning to.
[Coach Beard gesture] This!
As has been mentioned so well earlier in this thread, the training hay is in the barn. IMHO, if you are able to do a very easy run this week (like a mile or two) you might give it a try and see how it goes, not for any kind of speed, but just to see where you are in terms of any pain. And then go easy at MW with goals of fun and finishing. Good luck with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter