Marathon Weekend 2024

anyone got advice for plantar fasciatis? i have heel pain in my right foot and I've not been running 2 weeks to let it calm down, and ive also forgotten what to do since ive not had this in the last 5 years. i remember using inserts before that helped so gonna try this at least and some advil. i doubt i can do anything at this point, so i guess im glad i wasn't gonna go fast at all this year due to poor training, or over training.

anyone got advice for plantar fasciatis? i have heel pain in my right foot and I've not been running 2 weeks to let it calm down, and ive also forgotten what to do since ive not had this in the last 5 years. i remember using inserts before that helped so gonna try this at least and some advil. i doubt i can do anything at this point, so i guess im glad i wasn't gonna go fast at all this year due to poor training, or over training.
Stretch your Soleus (lower calf) and also gently roll a tennis ball or similar on the bottom of your foot—but do NOT do anything that is painful.

Stretch your Soleus (lower calf) and also gently roll a tennis ball or similar on the bottom of your foot—but do NOT do anything that is painful.

I second this. Stretch those calves! Do regular calf stretches, but also do the same stance and then bend your knee a bit.

I remember getting a Mylar after the half last year, and a cooling tower after the full. Nothing after the 10k though, which I remember being colder than the half. Maybe?

We had the best first day. Had dinner at Sanaa, raced back to watch HEA from top of the world lounge (and cried, of course), and then my 6 year old decided it’s the perfect swimming weather, so we watched him swim for a bit. Now we’re getting ready for bed.
I love being at Disney.

Unpacked and chilling in my room. The lines at the airport were the worst I've ever seen this morning. TSA did not want anything taken out of carry on items and we kept our shoes on because it was that wild.

But I made it so that's good. As always, we runners manage to find each other probably because at least one of us is wearing a shirt or jacket from a previous year.

Participant shirts finally got posted to rD instagram about an hour ago, but I haven't seen a WDW merch preview.
I thought there was a merch preview last week?

Just back from Epcot seeing Harmonious for the first time. Won't make that mistake again. It takes a lot for me to be bored halfway through a fireworks show. YMMV, but for me they missed the mark massively on this one.

I have a potentially dumb question about throwaway layers: is it ok to get rid of them at any point on the course? The 10k is looking cold and I eventually warm up a bunch when I run, but I might not want to get rid of the jacket right at the start. (I know Mylar has to be dumped before the start line.)
Yes. I've had races where I didn't discard until right before TTC, and one where I wished I had waited until after MK.

The last of my hay is in the barn (I'm loving that expression, and will be making use of it).
3.33 miles at an easy 11min/mile pace after a week of layoff, and trying to not abuse my lungs in the cool air today. Hopefully decongestants will finish getting my congestion cleared up for the weekend. I'll spend tomorrow packing, and Thur obsessing about what else I need to pack and then be on my way.

Participant shirts finally got posted to rD instagram about an hour ago, but I haven't seen a WDW merch preview.
I am liking the shirts. There is no over the top design. I feel like I could wear any of them out anytime. There are a couple of designs the past two years that I have never worn one time because of color and/or design.

Looking forward to the expo tomorrow. Love the buzz and the excitement in the air from all the participants picking up their stuff.

Anybody want to post screenshots of the shirts for those of us that do not "do" Instagram? Please and Thank you.

Freeze a water bottle and use that to roll the bottom of your foot. Fascia stripping can help too but I’d be careful this close to race weekend.

I am with you on this. Been watching the local news for weather reports. Based on the rain forecast, starting to switch around days for the planned “costumes” for the 5k and 10k and what normal running attire for the weekend races.
I think we are gonna switch our 5K and 10K also - more due to cold Friday AM as neither of our 5K or 10K costume will do well in rain. But our Herc/Meg outfits are both sleeveless. I originally hoped we could survive the corral with mylars until we got moving but temps in the 40’s will be a problem even when running. The flip side is while my Felix costume will accommodate a warm undershirt, I was planning to run in cut off jeans - which is fine for a 5K but I am not sure about 6.2 miles.

Last edited:
Good luck everyone! I'm not sure who needs it most: the people who are racing, or the people trying to score merchandise. Okay, we all know it's the merch people !

Hope the weather holds and the plastic cheese comes with something reasonable to dip it with. (As an aside--I don't think that line will ever become one of those inspirational greetings--like the Irish prayer "May the road rise up to meet you")

I think we are gonna switch our 5K and 10K also - more due to cold Friday AM as neither Of our 5K or 10 K costume will do well in rain. But our Herc/Meg outfits are both sleeveless. I originally hoped we could survive the corral with mylars until we got moving but temps in the 40’s will be a problem even when running. The flip side is while my Felix costume will accommodate a warm undershirt, I was planning to run in cut off jeans - which is fine for a 5K but I am not sure about 6.2 miles.
Have you considered arm warmers? I've used those for cold mornings in sleeveless costumes a lot. One cheap option is to cut the toes off a pair of tube socks and just toss them if it warms up.

I have found these spiky balls to help a lot. I bet you can find one at the expo. The spikes really help get the blood flowing.

71M5J-GSIjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter