Marathon Weekend 2024

Just a reminder for those hoping to score a low boarding group for the expo, you can (and should) create your party ahead of time. I’m adding 2 additional people to my party (May turn to 5 if my kids are being rowdy and I decide I don’t need their distraction), in case I get a low boarding group and anyone wants to join me

I can’t recall, what time last year on Wednesday did they start letting people into the merch area without a VQ?

I am picking up my daughter and her fiancé from the airport at 11am. The plan is to drop them off at their resort, come back and grab the rest of our party already here, and head over to the expo. So I am guessing around 1pm if we are lucky. Trying to plan ahead if we will need to still put in for a VQ on the way back to WDW.

I'm also booking for 4 but will probably go solo since the kids are :crazy:

Has anyone seen in-depth merch previews? For W&D some runfluencers like runninginmakeup had a preview the night before.

Just a reminder for those hoping to score a low boarding group for the expo, you can (and should) create your party ahead of time. I’m adding 2 additional people to my party (May turn to 5 if my kids are being rowdy and I decide I don’t need their distraction), in case I get a low boarding group and anyone wants to join me
if anyone does get a low boarding group and has room for the shopping ,do message me. I'm not buying much but would like to get the medal pins and maybe jacket and that usually goes super quick. thank you

DH and I are making separate BGs with some others from our F&F list so we might have room for 1 or 2 others if we get a good group.

I got 56 and if anyone needs it, I can walk in 3 others at that time.

Last edited:

Group 5 has a call-back of 60min. So 9:30?

People in line are likely club rundisney since they can get in sooner

Have you considered arm warmers? I've used those for cold mornings in sleeveless costumes a lot. One cheap option is to cut the toes off a pair of tube socks and just toss them if it warms up.
Thanks for the suggestion. They were already incorporated. I am planning to wear compression sleeves and roll them down to be Herc’s wrist guards. But with temps in the 40’s and a north wind, I don’t think arm sleeves will be enough. For the 5K, it looks like rain but at least temps will be in the 50’s.

Thinking out loud here, because I like to mentally prepare for all possibilities - if that kind of thing stresses you out, you’ll want o skip this post lol!

IF - and to be clear, there’s still PLENTY of time for it to change! - but IF the threat for severe storms Sat morning persist, there are a few scenarios to contemplate if you like to think ahead on things that may require decision-making and/or reluctant acceptance.

In rD’s history:
Rain = races go on.
Lightning = hard stop.
Damaging winds = hard stop.

1. IF it’s a 2017-like scenario, in which severe storms are predicted to interfere with pre-race staging, I’d bet on the race being canceled. If we’re talking the half, there may be a choice between running half (or all!) of the marathon the next day, or taking a refund.

2. A Half of a Half 2015 W&D scenario is unlikely, I think. First because they won’t delay a half that long in the morning, when it would interrupt park openings (unlike W&D, which was at night, when all but EP was closed anyway, and EP was already staffed for the after-party). That W&D course also worked well for just chopping a big chunk out of it - the WDW Half course is way more problematic, since most of it is on World Dr.

3. I don’t think there’s any real precedent for if severe storms are forecast to hit mid-half. There was that one Everest Challenge that was canceled halfway through, but that was all in one park, a short distance, and easy to get people sheltered quickly. They can’t possibly call a halt to the WDW Half while 80% of the field is in the middle of World Dr. I can only guess that if that is the forecast, they’ll opt to cancel. See #1 again.

Anyway, those are my thoughts as I look at the forecast this morning and wish I was at WDW already, not at work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter