Marathon Weekend 2024

Have they been giving the race etiquette talk in the morning?
I did hear them mention to move to the right if you were walking.
The problem the last two mornings (at least for me), there were areas that it was too narrow for the amount of people running/walking all different paces. It took probably 2 miles to sort out with similar paces. I had to run in the grass some. I don’t think anyone was not trying to scoot over, there just wasn’t room. And I started in the back of B.

Yeah, I probably would have gotten a faster time if I hadn’t gotten held up during some of those very small corridors like the overpass back into Epcot. It was frustrating to have a bunch of walkers on the left (and I say this as a run/walker). I’m short so whenever I saw a hole I just went for it (or found a group of runners and stuck to them during the congestion, haha).

I was going to try to make it to Hurricane Hanna’s but I made a rookie mistake and didn’t hydrate and eat enough after the race. 🤢

I very much regretted my choice of outfit this morning. I was worried about the cold, so decided on long sleeve with a skirt. It was a good decision for all the waiting around, but I was HOT before even getting to mile 1.
It was a really good race though. Stopped to take a picture with Jose, who I’ve never seen before.

What are the chances that a cold front can come through and we can get todays weather tomorrow too?

Also, question for those smarter than me with Instagram. RunDisney posted about using a filter, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use it with a photo that’s already on my camera roll. Is that possible?

They closed some of the roads early today! The ramp to Epcot Center Drive when heading south on World Drive was scheduled to close at 4am. It was already closed when I got there at 3:30. I knew how to circle back, but super frustrating for those that don’t.

I skipped quite a few but here is my list from today.

Pinocchio
Friends of Fantasia
Mad Hatter
Thumper
Cinderella and friends
Sleeping Beauty and friends
Caballeros
Wendy/Peter Pan
100th sign
Epcot ball
Guardians ride
Mary Poppins and friends

I may have missed something.

I’m really liking the new entertainment director for RD. He’s got vision and I feel like he has taken things in a new direction. For the last few years it’s been a recycling of the same stuff. It had become predictable race after race. I loved all the old movie posters along the route today.

100% agree with this. I loved that the characters represented the chronology of Disney in the 40s-50s-60s. Really felt like there was some storytelling to the race.

And I loved the course even with the narrow sections. Running around the Boardwalk in the early morning is always chef's kiss

1000003933.jpg

Get rid of the mini-waves and just let the corrals go? Or maybe let a third go each time? Yes it'll be congested for a bit, but get everyone going.

They've pushed corrals out faster when they've had heat advisories, so this wouldn't be new for them.

I don’t think they’ll get rid of the mini-waves, they’ll likely just reduce the intervals at which they’re released. Let them go every 60 seconds or so, instead of 2-3 minutes between them.

I can't see them letting entire corrals go at once (that would be insane), but as others have mentioned, there is recent precedent for them doing a fast start, which could mean creating larger waves, releasing them more frequently or both.

The good is that the front half of the course has multi-lane highways that should be able to easily accommodate large groups of runners. The pinch point is going to be in the Magic Kingdom and then through cone alley. If I were running this and trying to be strategic, I would plan on starting out relatively fast, dialing it back to conserve energy through the MK and cone alley, and then using that banked energy once I was back out on the highway. But that's just me!

I was going to try to make it to Hurricane Hanna’s but I made a rookie mistake and didn’t hydrate and eat enough after the race. 🤢
This is also me. But we are still going. Hoping that getting out and walking in the sunshine will help my appetite. This has been a major issue for me every race weekend. Yesterday I drank a protein shake as soon as we got back to our room, and it made my tummy unhappy. Heading to france and hoping an ice cream sandwich will fix it 😂

Also took a 2.5hr nap aft we got back to our room this morning. Managed to eat a little (always a struggle when I’m sleep deprived) before turning off all the lights.

Last edited:
A great morning!
as for tomorrow, nothing I can do but when it comes to stalking weather I use ForeFlight as if I was planning to fly. using Kissimmee airport info keeps putting thunderstorms at 10 then 12, it’s been getting better every time I check since last night so fingers crossed. My guess is look for a rushed start and possibly cutting it short for the slower runners
IMG_1495.png

I very much regretted my choice of outfit this morning. I was worried about the cold, so decided on long sleeve with a skirt. It was a good decision for all the waiting around, but I was HOT before even getting to mile 1.
It was a really good race though. Stopped to take a picture with Jose, who I’ve never seen before.

What are the chances that a cold front can come through and we can get todays weather tomorrow too?
Reading the tread as I’m packing for next weekend. And this reminded me I need to pack long sleeves for next week

I would put on layers for tomorrow if it’s looking cold. And then if need be take off the long sleeve. Put the bib on the short sleeve obviously

Hoping the weather holds out for yall

A great morning!
as for tomorrow, nothing I can do but when it comes to stalking weather I use ForeFlight as if I was planning to fly. using Kissimmee airport info keeps putting thunderstorms at 10 then 12, it’s been getting better every time I check since last night so fingers crossed. My guess is look for a rushed start and possibly cutting it short for the slower runners
View attachment 823237

weather.com (not the most reliable site, I know) has removed any references to thunderstorms and is saying “steady rain” in the morning. I’ll take any good sign…

I'm worried about the possibility of a crowded course and more aggressive sweeping. I am not good AT ALL at weaving around other runners so I tend to get stuck, which means I go very slow in any congested areas.

I have found that a well-timed and slightly above normal volume "on your right" "on your left" or "coming through" tends to work very well. Think of it as putting on a tune signal in your car. You're not being rude. You are giving them information.

Once I speed up and pass someone, I try to stay at that speed for several seconds before I slow back to my "ideal" pace.

It does take a lot of mental energy to weave and pass so I only use it when absolutely necessary. If people are just going slightly slower than I would like, I will just shorten my run or lengthen my walk to accommodate their pace. I also use congested areas as an opportunity to grab a drink or some fuel.

Just wanted to say I hope the meet up at HH goes well. I am feeling burnt out and heading back to hotel to rest and get ready for the half.

If I can get my daughter up earlier than today - we cut it close,,,, Then will try to bring her to the meet up in morning.

Good luck to everyone running the half!

For folks interested about possible characters during the Marathon, I am passing along what I overheard at the Expo.

A cast member in line said he was working the marathon and would be with characters from Princess and the Frog. If memory serves correctly, he was positive Louis the Alligator was one of them.

This definitely lines up with the Disney through the decades theme we're seeing.

For folks interested about possible characters during the Marathon, I am passing along what I overheard at the Expo.

A cast member in line said he was working the marathon and would be with characters from Princess and the Frog. If memory serves correctly, he was positive Louis the Alligator was one of them.

This definitely lines up with the Disney through the decades theme we're seeing.
I was hoping for Louis during the half so I could take a pic with my Sally Slater costume 😅

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter