Marathon Weekend 2025

SAFD:

I love running, of course at times it really fricken hurts, but I love it for many of the reasons you all have shared - sense of community (so grateful for these boards), it’s an excuse to go to Disney twice a year, it’s the opportunity to feed my introverted soul on a solo run 4 to 5 times a week, it offers at least some weight management benefits and hopefully making the gift of my life longer and/or more active while I am here.

But one thing I will add. Running allows me to challenge and be honest with myself. In the end I am motivated by a sense of completion and accomplishment; being able to look at myself and know I really tried. As a mid-pack runner (on a good day) I will not be winning any races (unless I am the only one who shows up 🤣😆). But I have the opportunity to set a goal and then put in the effort or not. I love that I can tell myself “Baloo your goal is to go under 5:00 hours for this race”, the distance is not going to change (well, it’s not supposed to…), time isn’t going to change, but my effort can and that ultimately is what will impact my goal. I love this gift, and I hope I can continue to pursue it until I am the oldest runner out there putting in the miles and crossing the finish lines!

I miss a good Paczki. We only have ones around here that are shipped in from other places and they are not very good.

For all of us who answered the SAFD question with a reference to eating, here is one of my reasons.....Fat Tuesday means Paczki from Union Joints (Michigan.) Featuring Take the Cannoli, Churro Toast Crunch, Woodshop Whiskey Butterscotch, and Violet Beauregarde (yes blueberry).View attachment 833726

Maybe another SAFD question should be "What food/drink motivates you to run?" I love seeing everyone's local treats!

Incidentally, really cool to hear about Paczki as I'd never heard of them before, but they look very similar to the Bombaloni you can get in my neck of the woods! My favorite is the Mont Blanc, which is a half nutella, half chintilly cream filling.

download (20).jpg

Maybe another SAFD question should be "What food/drink motivates you to run?" I love seeing everyone's local treats!

Incidentally, really cool to hear about Paczki as I'd never heard of them before, but they look very similar to the Bombaloni you can get in my neck of the woods! My favorite is the Mont Blanc, which is a half nutella, half chintilly cream filling.

View attachment 833730
I love that question!! For example for my 10 miler this weekend... I saw costco had cholate strawberries out soo I used them as fuel. I ate a couple before the run and at the half way point and then when I came back. Strawberries are healthy and the chocolate gives me nice sugar. I now think this is the best running fuel ever. To bad Costco only sells them around this time.

SAFD: What do you love about running? What gets you coming back run after run and keeps you going when the runs get tough? Is your love seasonal or perennial?

I love to run. I like the way it makes me feel. I like the quiet (I don't listen to anything when running). I like that it recharges me. I like to eat snacks, and running sort of helps with that (I need to cut back on the junk though). I feel like I've accomplished something after a run, even an easy one.

I have tried to cut back on running and do other things, but I just can't. I prefer running to be my main form of exercise. I haven't trained for anything seriously since the 2023 WDW Marathon, but I try to keep my weekly mileage around 18-20 miles.

I saw a video the other day and it was basically "All you former straight-A students who can no longer get validation from ace-ing tests, etc., how's marathon training going?" And that's basically me. I started running after I finished my master's degree and didn't have any school work. I felt so seen :rotfl2:

Last edited:

SAFD: I love running because it’s currently Girl Scout cookie season. I have 11 boxes in my pantry. No regrets
Even worse than Girl Scout cookies, I get these for Valentines Day—for those keeping score at home, this is 1.5 inches thick and 3 inches across

Attachments

• IMG_6847.jpeg
    IMG_6847.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6846.jpeg
    IMG_6846.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 5
Even worse than Girl Scout cookies, I get these for Valentines Day—for those keeping score at home, this is 1.5 inches thick and 3 inches across
I wasn't planning on getting 11 boxes, but I got carried away at the table. I have to get my annual fix! The funny thing is I only did one year in Girl Scouts, but every year, I get the cookies.

SAFD: Like any relationship, my love affair with running is multifaceted and complex. The main reason I run is that I just feel better when I'm running regularly - I sleep better, I'm happier, and I feel more confident and motivated to take on whatever the world throws at me.
Running is also social time for me - my closest friends are my running buddies, and we all have such busy lives that getting together for early runs is our time to catch up.
Running "destination races" (like Disney every year, and London in a couple of months!) is an excuse to travel. I shouldn't need an excuse to go on vacation and see the world, but having a race helps silence that little voice in my head that tries to make me feel guilty for taking time off from work and family responsibilities.
And I can't leave out my love for beer and ice cream combined with a hatred of clothes shopping! :rotfl2:

"All you former straight-A students who can no longer get validation from ace-ing tests, etc., how's marathon training going?"
Oh my goodness, this is SO me!

Booked my beloved AKV Jambo house Savannah view studio for MW so I just have to survive registration!

late SAFD: I’m in the “I don’t love running, but I love having run” camp. I’ll be 69 very soon—my last year as a sexagenarian 😂— and, honestly, running is tough! I’m slowing down and the miles seem to be getting longer.

But I love running with my husband, the accomplishment of a completing a run, the health benefits, getting out of the house on good days, having something on my schedule each day, the camaraderie among runners, and being able to tell incredulous people, “Yeah, I just ran a marathon.”

I'm grateful to be able to run, though, as many of my friends are having hip and knee replacements, blood pressure and heart problems, Type 2 diabetes, and other health issues. If I don’t run, the illnesses and arthritis of old age may catch up with me! Can I outrun it?

I’m not coming for MW next year, but I saw someone asking if you can walk to Epcot from Boardwalk during the races, and I don’t remember. I know you can from Beach Club, but I can’t remember if you’d be able to get to Beach Club from Boardwalk or not.
Does anyone know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter