Marathon Weekend 2025

Favorite non-runDisney races? It’s time to plug my local 5k/10k: the 46th annual Lake Hartwell Dam Run! It’s local, it’s fast, it’s beautiful, it crosses two states, and DH is race director. We usually have about 800+\- runners with the majority being 5k. It’s the 10k I’ll use for POT for Wine & Dine.

5k’ers take local school buses 3 miles to the SC side of the lake and run across the dam; 10k’ers start in GA, run down Hwy 29 into SC, then turn around and run back across the dam. The view is spectacular. It was great to have a few dis’ers last year and will be great to have more. @garneska (if your knee is holding up), @OldSlowGoofyGuy, @GuinnessRunner, @Mr Incredible 221, @GADisneyDad14, @3princesandaprincess
@princesspirateandrunner @BigEeyore @camaker and any others from GA, SC, NC dis’ers who could get here.

Bonus: this year it falls on May (the) 4th (be with you), so Star Wars costumes can be worn! See runsignup.com.

Favorite races that are not Disney include:
Lake Hartwell Dam Run 10k - see previous post
Peachtree Road Race 10k -a July 4th celebration
Atlanta 10 Miler- a distance I like; in the past, a different organization adopted every mile and had different spectacles, music, costumes, and cheering. Not as much since Covid.
Used to love PeachJam 1/2 in Forsyth, but it went away with refurbishment/ expansion of the boardwalk and came back shorter, different locations.

SAFD: This week's question made me realize that I don't do a lot of races anymore outside of Disney unless they are for a POT or to gauge fitness. As our kids have gotten into the age of having their own activities on weekends, I find those are my priorities rather than going to a race someplace. I used to really love the Peachtree RR and it was my first race. Did it for 14 years in a row and it was a fantastic party for sure. Other than that, the only other one that sticks out that I want to do again is the Silver Comet HM. It's on a rails to trails course so is flat as a pancake, but is mostly wooded and held in late October so trees are still turning, temps are typically good and people often would dress up being near Halloween (caveat that I haven't done this race in probably 10 years now so it's likely changed).

SAFD a little late... I don't do a lot of non-rD races, but I'll second the love for Peachtree and RnR Vegas.

SAFD: Normally I stick with local races in New Hampshire and New England to incorporate with my training for my Disney races.
I'm new to Vermont -- moved between Burlington and Waterbury last summer -- and would love any NE race suggestions. Especially 5K/10K distances, since I tend to be back-of-the-pack and it would make me a bit nervous to end up alone on a course. There seem to be a ton of casual 5Ks in this area, but I don't usually hear about them until after they've happened.

SAFD: I don't travel for races anymore other than RunDisney. My favorite local race is the NYS Parks Summer Series. It's 8 Monday evenings in June/July/August, a different state park every week. Distances range from 5K to 5M to 10K. There's really good snacks, free beer and free ice cream at the end of each race. The final race in the series also has a whole deli catered dinner after it. There's also raffles every week. They also give out a really nice swag bag apart from the free tshirt. Last year we got an insulated lunch bag, sunglasses, baseball hat, water bottle and some other small things like lip balm. All the local running clubs make a real event of it and there's a lot of camaraderie and fun. And if you're fast there's prize money :-)

SAFD same as many, I have only run one non Disney race, Steel Rail Marathon, but I liked enough to do it twice, it was my first sub 4, and it ended with free parking lot beer so I’ll have to call it my favorite for now. Currently I’m looking for something this spring, we’ll see what happens.

SAFD:

This is cheating, because I didn't actually get to run it, but I was in London at the same time as the Royal Parks Half Marathon once and it was delightful. Gorgeous time of year, absolutely beautiful running route, great energy from the spectators. I would absolutely run that, given the chance!

(In consolation, I did my own 13-mile long run along the Thames that morning, which was also magical.)

SAFD:

I think my favorite non-Disney race has been the Run Woodstock 50 miler. It is part of a weekend long series of races, from 5K to 100 miler. It is themed after the 1960’s Woodstock Concert with bands, people camping out and a real festival atmosphere. Race organization is fantastic with great support and super fun volunteers. There is room for runners out to just have fun and others putting up really impressive performances. Best it is hosted in a state park in Hell, Michigan, not everyday you can say you ran in Hell!

Hoping to get back to it at some point, falls at a bad time for work unfortunately. One that I have not done yet. but really want to is The Avenue of the Giants Marathon.

Some of my favorites are:
  • Indy Mini HM where you run a lap around the Indy 500 racecourse. Stop and kiss the bricks. Always seems to make the top 10 HMs in the country list.
  • Run the Bluegrass in Lexington. Running, horse farms and bourbon...what's not to love. Always seems to make the top 10 HMs in the country list.
  • Big10K in Chicago along the lake. 6,000 runners wearing their individual Big 10 team race shirts. I have worn Purdue (where I went my first two years undergrad), Northwestern (where I graduated from Business School), and Illinois (where my DD went undergrad and grad school).

I want to do the Detroit International half this year - the idea of running in race in both Canada and the US sounds amazing.
You should totally do it if you can swing it--it's a GREAT race!

SAFD: Most of my favorite races are NOT Disney races (yikes... 🤣) but it's hard to choose!

I love the California International Marathon (it's a fast, serious, crowd but nicely organized and good community support) and northern CA is really beautiful. In my home state, I love the Bayshore Half Marathon in Traverse City, where you can run along the shores of Lake Michigan. You also cannot beat the Detroit International Half (be sure to bring your passport--they do NOT mess around at border patrol 😳). Indianapolis Monumental Half (or full) is also one of the best races out there (for a PoT or BQ)--the course is super flat, really easy to get around and just excellent crowd support. But if chaos is the measuring stick, I'd say the Chicago Marathon wins hands down. 😊

I think my favorite non-Disney race has been the Run Woodstock 50 miler. It is part of a weekend long series of races, from 5K to 100 miler. It is themed after the 1960’s Woodstock Concert with bands, people camping out and a real festival atmosphere. Race organization is fantastic with great support and super fun volunteers. There is room for runners out to just have fun and others putting up really impressive performances. Best it is hosted in a state park in Hell, Michigan, not everyday you can say you ran in Hell!
Running Fit always puts on a great race and Run Woodstock is no exception--I have never run it but have many friends that have and they rave about it. 🌞 🥳

Some of my favorites are:
  • Indy Mini HM where you run a lap around the Indy 500 racecourse. Stop and kiss the bricks. Always seems to make the top 10 HMs in the country list.
  • Run the Bluegrass in Lexington. Running, horse farms and bourbon...what's not to love. Always seems to make the top 10 HMs in the country list.
  • Big10K in Chicago along the lake. 6,000 runners wearing their individual Big 10 team race shirts. I have worn Purdue (where I went my first two years undergrad), Northwestern (where I graduated from Business School), and Illinois (where my DD went undergrad and grad school).
Indy Mini is currently #1 and Run the Bluegrass #3 in the USA Today Readers Choice Best Half Marathon poll. I keep checking/voting for Philly every day. More to add to the bucket list!

I haven’t done many non Disney runs. I have done local 5ks. I used to do them with DD19, but she’s over it. Since she is out, DH and the little kids have started to join me. DD6 did her first in Aug, while DS9 has done a few. The last mile was rough in Aug.

I’ve only done one half marathon outside of Disney. It was in CT along the coastline and it was great! Totally flat. The only thing that stinks is it’s in Sept so you never know how the weather will be. I am kind of thinking of doing it again this year but we’ll see how my body holds up during the spring.

I have always wanted to do the Bronx Zoo 5k or the Washington, D.C. cherry blossom 10k. The dates just never work for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter