Marathon Weekend 2025

SAFD: Although I would love to do many of these someday, my favorite non-Disney race that I've actually run (I think three times now?) is Rock 'n' Roll DC. The course is hands-down my favorite in the District, the entertainment is fun, the medals and t-shrits are always great, and it's well organized and executed. I'd definitely recommend it over the cherry blossom 10-miler if you're looking to run during cherry blossoms - the timing usually lines up better for peak bloom anyway, and it's much better-run.
Good to know! I got into the 10 miler this year but it seems we won’t see much of the blooms since they will be earlier. I’m definitely disappointed since that was my prime reason for wanting to do this one.

I also enjoy Rock N Roll events, even though they discontinued my most fave in Virginia Beach. I’ll definitely add this one to my run list!

SAFD: Favorite non-Disney is hard, so I'm not going to pick just one.
Loved the Maui half marathon when I did it in 2019. Obviously gorgeous, but it now is also kinda sad after the devastation of the wildfires in Lahaina.
End of the Road half marathon in Pennsylvania. It's run on the abandoned turnpike and goes through 2 of the tunnels. It's in the fall, so depending on the weather, you can see some nice foliage.
Flying Pig. I only did the 5k, but loved the atmosphere of the day. Would love to go back and do one of the longer distances.

SAFD: BolderBoulder is my fav 10k. It is a huge party the whole way.... I have never seen soo much alcohol and food given out for free on a race course... it is just a huge party.
When I was in the Navy Band Northwest, we flew down from Seattle to participate in the Boulder Bolder events for the week, including playing at the finish line in CU's stadium. I could totally live in Boulder, it's amazing.

SAFD: I haven't run many non-Disney races in a while (except for the Dallas Half Marathon in December which was pretty awesome and some friends from my running group are flying in to do it again with me as a training run for Dopey), but my favorite local races were when I lived in New Orleans a long time ago. I ran Rock N' Roll New Orleans half three times and it was wonderful. Great entertainment and a great course. But the BEST races were the smaller, local ones because they had tons of people handing stuff out on the course and the post-race parties always had a TON of free food and beer. I miss those races so much.

Also, I know I said when I joined this thread that I was sitting MW out this year, but my running group is assembling to do Dopey again so they talked me into doing it again. Ugh. 🤣 I am really hoping for 4 full races this year. Even though I did the 6 miles in the parking lot before the shortened half this year to earn the medal, I still can't stop thinking about how my only Dopey has an asterisk. So, here we go again I guess....!

SAFD:
Favorite non-Disney races -
Broad Street 10 Miler is probably my favorite non-Disney race. Fast point to point course, great crowd support, very easy access/exit for me, nice freebies at the afterparty and the temperature tends to be my definition of perfect racing weather (though it has been rainy more often than I would like.)

Coolest course I've done was technically a hiking marathon (Great Glencoe Challenge) but runner-up for a running course was Vacation Race's Zion Half Marathon taking place just outside the National Park. This race was done during Covid times, and it was very unique to have a rolling start where I was released in the pitch black all alone and gradually got to see the sunrise over the Utah mountains and finish in full daylight.

SAFD:
Favorite non-Disney races -
Broad Street 10 Miler is probably my favorite non-Disney race. Fast point to point course, great crowd support, very easy access/exit for me, nice freebies at the afterparty and the temperature tends to be my definition of perfect racing weather (though it has been rainy more often than I would like.)
Are you running this year? I am!

Also, I know I said when I joined this thread that I was sitting MW out this year, but my running group is assembling to do Dopey again so they talked me into doing it again. Ugh. 🤣 I am really hoping for 4 full races this year. Even though I did the 6 miles in the parking lot before the shortened half this year to earn the medal, I still can't stop thinking about how my only Dopey has an asterisk. So, here we go again I guess....!

1709824761896.png

It'll be good to see you there! Maybe we can train together from time to time.

When I was in the Navy Band Northwest, we flew down from Seattle to participate in the Boulder Bolder events for the week, including playing at the finish line in CU's stadium. I could totally live in Boulder, it's amazing.

SAFD: I haven't run many non-Disney races in a while (except for the Dallas Half Marathon in December which was pretty awesome and some friends from my running group are flying in to do it again with me as a training run for Dopey), but my favorite local races were when I lived in New Orleans a long time ago. I ran Rock N' Roll New Orleans half three times and it was wonderful. Great entertainment and a great course. But the BEST races were the smaller, local ones because they had tons of people handing stuff out on the course and the post-race parties always had a TON of free food and beer. I miss those races so much.
Not to be a downer, but traffic in Boulder in horrific. Too many people live in that area, and Colorado in general doesn't update infrastructure. Once I wasn't working in Boulder anymore, I said never ever again.

SAFD: I haven't done a lot of non-rD races. Mostly local things that aren't well organized, honestly. I live in part of Arkansas where we don't have many exciting races that are close to get to. Mainly those in Memphis and... it's Memphis, nothing too great to write home about. (however, St. Jude weekend is a great experience). Little Rock has a good crowd but it's hilly.

We are driving to Louisville next month for the Derby Festival marathon so I hope that's a good one! Only DH is running, I have a herniated disc that HAS to get healed before MW 2025 so I'm on a strict no-running plan right now.

Last edited:
SAFD: I haven't done a lot of non-rD races. Mostly local things that aren't well organized, honestly. I live in part of Arkansas where we don't have many exciting races that are close to get to. Mainly those in Memphis and... it's Memphis, nothing too great to write home about. (however, St. Jude weekend is a great experience). Little Rock has a good crowd but it's hilly.

We are driving to Louisville next month for the Derby Festival marathon so I hope that's a good one! Only DH is running, I have a herniated disc that HAS to get healed before MW 2025 so I'm on a strict no-running plan right now.
I ran the derby half several years ago and remember it being a lot of fun! Mostly I remember my friend being shocked that I drank beer from strangers on the side of the course 😄

Sorry you don't get to run. Hopefully you can still have some fun cheering DH and the other athletes.

We are driving to Louisville next month for the Derby Festival marathon so I hope that's a good one!
It’s a pretty good one, but I’m biased as I live in Louisville and have done the half 10 years or so. It’s pretty large, so that makes it fairly exciting. The half marathon is quite a bit more popular than the full run at the same event. It will be the 51st year for the half (mini).

Last edited:
SAFD -
- Our local (Buffalo, NY) Turkey Trot - It is the longest consecutively run road race in the U.S. at 128 years (yes, they even ran in 2020!). It has 14,000 runners and is a lot like running at Disney with amazing crowd support, character/dog stops (Santa's been known to make an appearance) and even a doughnut hole drop from an overpass. Two years ago, the Bills were playing on Thanksgiving and it was like one massive tailgate party.

- The Niagara Falls (Canada) International Marathon - I've only done the 10K (there is also a 5k, half and full marathon), but I love the course along the Niagara River to the brink of Niagara Falls. It is usually (until this past year at least) a beautiful fall run. It is significantly smaller than the Turkey Trot (and quite a bit more "serious"), but it is still a lot of fun and a "must do" on my calendar.

Good morning, RunDisney All-Stars! March is upon us, which means it's time to crown our favorite attraction in March Magical Madness! We picked our top four attractions from each park, setting up our very own Sweet Sixteen, and now they'll go head to head to see which comes out on top.

Pick your favorite from each match-up in the bracket below. At the end of the week, I'll tally all the votes and we'll see which advance to the Elite Eight. I'll leave voting open through the end of the day on Friday to give everyone a chance to weigh in. Here we go!

1710085508344.png

SAFD: Here are my votes to kick things off:

Epcot:
  • Living with the Land over Guardians
  • Soarin' over Spaceship Earth
Hollywood Studios:
  • Toy Story Midway Mania over Tower of Terror
  • Rise of the Resistance over Runaway Railroad
Magic Kingdom:
  • Haunted Mansion over Splash Mountain/Tiana
  • Pirates of the Caribbean over Big Thunder Mtn
Animal Kingdom:
  • Flight of Passage over Expedition Everest
  • Kilimanjaro Safari over Maharajah Jungle Trek

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter