Marathon Weekend 2025

Tangential to MW, did we all see that the airlines raised the price for checked luggage? As a chronic over-packer, this isn't great.

Also, I was this close to getting DH on-board for MW 2025 when I found flights from our regional airport for $515 (round-trip for 2 people) which is cheaper than Detroit and would eliminate the need to pay for parking, and a 4hr drive to/from the airport. Sadly, we have exhausted our cc points with other upcoming trips and he doesn't want to use "actual money" to pay for flights. :rotfl2:

Tangential to MW, did we all see that the airlines raised the price for checked luggage? As a chronic over-packer, this isn't great.

Also, I was this close to getting DH on-board for MW 2025 when I found flights from our regional airport for $515 (round-trip for 2 people) which is cheaper than Detroit and would eliminate the need to pay for parking, and a 4hr drive to/from the airport. Sadly, we have exhausted our cc points with other upcoming trips and he doesn't want to use "actual money" to pay for flights. :rotfl2:
Thinking about doing something extremely dumb (doing Dopey and working from the resort for the week of since it's a busy time at work) so I'd be impacted by this, probably would need to check luggage for this long.

On that note... not exactly thrilled about the registration issues for W&D right now.

Thinking about doing something extremely dumb (doing Dopey and working from the resort for the week of since it's a busy time at work)
I did this last year (though I did spectate the marathon rather than run it). Worked out great! I was up so early every day that I was able to come back, clean up and catch up on emails and such before most people were even logged on for the day (at least the first few races). I was also able to pop over to the parks or a resort restaurant for lunch and a little recovery walking each day. We are DVC so I had laundry, which helped because I also went directly to Disneyland right after. It is doable but you do have to be disciplined to not get TOO distracted with park time.

I did this last year (though I did spectate the marathon rather than run it). Worked out great! I was up so early every day that I was able to come back, clean up and catch up on emails and such before most people were even logged on for the day (at least the first few races). I was also able to pop over to the parks or a resort restaurant for lunch and a little recovery walking each day. We are DVC so I had laundry, which helped because I also went directly to Disneyland right after. It is doable but you do have to be disciplined to not get TOO distracted with park time.
Yeah my logic is that it's a stressful time and doing this will be a nice stress release, although I'm not sure how much that logic holds when part of the stress release involves running 26 miles. I feel like I'd take a relaxed view of park time otherwise: buy a ticket for the whole stay, go to the parks at night when I can, if not nbd.

Look into getting the credit card for the airline you generally fly. I have a United Card and while there is a yearly fee for it I get a free checked bag for myself and everyone I book on my itinerary along with some other perks that make it worth the cost per year.

Look into getting the credit card for the airline you generally fly. I have a United Card and while there is a yearly fee for it I get a free checked bag for myself and everyone I book on my itinerary along with some other perks that make it worth the cost per year.
that's a great idea for people who fly a lot! Do you have to book using the card to get that benefit, or is just *having* the card good enough for the free bag?

I was also looking (and I think it was maybe american? delta? i don't remember at this point) but for another ~$90 in fare it included a checked bag and seat selection, and earlier boarding AND the ability to change the flight from whatever their bare-bones fare level is now.

that's a great idea for people who fly a lot! Do you have to book using the card to get that benefit, or is just *having* the card good enough for the free bag?
Pretty sure you just need to have the card. I've had the Delta Amex for years, and while I also have status, they just made some changes to the program that make having the card even more valuable. Basically status is going to be calculated by spend rather than miles, and the card gives me bonus spend that counts toward status when I use it with partners like Marriott or for Delta Vacations bookings.

There are different card options, so be sure to look into them all in case one program is better for your style and frequency of travel.

I was also looking (and I think it was maybe american? delta? i don't remember at this point) but for another ~$90 in fare it included a checked bag and seat selection, and earlier boarding AND the ability to change the flight from whatever their bare-bones fare level is now.

You have to book the flight with the card but it also gets you more miles. I have the United Explorer card and for $95 a year (first year is waived) I get all of this. It says bags are free for yourself and one companion but so far every flight has included free bags for everyone on it, even when I had 5 flying.

At $35 per checked bag each way it pays for itself the first roundtrip filght for two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter