Marathon Weekend 2025

Interesting that they seem to have backtracked from accepting a wider range of races for POT, not sure what to make of that. Maybe some confusion over whether a 12k or 15k would be acceptable for the full?

400$ for the weekend pin bundle. Oomphf.
It comes out to like $21.something per pin, which is about what retail is. The PROBLEM is that they force you to buy ALL of the pins…the event pin, the dreaded ‘I did it’ pin, the medal replica, and the smaller weekend pin. Soooooo many people only want the medal replica, or just the event pin, and so few want the I did it pin.

Ahhhhh! Now begins the week where I am constantly anxious about registration and wish I had simply purchased a runDisney Club Membership!

The only week longer than this one is the week before going to MW!

This year I need to get a half marathon, 10K and 5K for my younger DD, a 5K for my older DD and a Dopey spot for me. No problem…

I don't think I can do that as I may have to rely on him to register us! I'm aiming for Dopey and he wants to do the Half.

My son will be 12 in January '25 and will assuredly not train, so I'm not putting any pressure on myself to sign him up ;) It would actually be the difference between a solo and a Mom&Son trip, and this time I might be leaning for the former... I actually want it to make it DATW for once!

My son will be 12 in January '25 and will assuredly not train, so I'm not putting any pressure on myself to sign him up ;) It would actually be the difference between a solo and a Mom&Son trip, and this time I might be leaning for the former... I actually want it to make it DATW for once!
DATW is one of my goals too - but my son is 21 so can join if he wants :)

My biggest problem with new RunDisney is that the liability waiver you sign promises a certain level of excitement they don’t even come close to delivering. “Dismemberment death?” Not sure if there is supposed to be a comma there, but things have really gone sideways during a run if you start losing limbs. “Naegliria Fowlerii?” That’s a brain eating ameba which is usually found in warm lakes, and I don’t see how that applies to running around the BB parking lot. “Severe economic loss and damage?” Okay, after seeing the Dopey prices and rack rates for hotels, they definitely deliver on that one.

1712086517432.jpeg

I don't know where you live, but the Philadelphia Marathon weekend in November has a half/full challenge. The weekend has an 8k, half, and full, and you can combine any or all of the races, they have a challenge for each. My friend ran the half with me and then ran the 8k after, and I was definitely jealous of his bigger medal.

This is 1000% true.

As for decline in the races, I ran my first WDW Marathon in 2014 and there are tons of little details that have gone away. For example, course entertainment had been much more varied than mostly characters: trumpeters on the balcony in the back of the castle, playing a fanfare as you approached; stilt walkers; trampoline artists (the tumble monkeys maybe). The swag bag as others have mentioned. But I have kept coming back because it's still more fun than most other places. I ran the DL Half with 2 friends that are new to runDisney, and they thought it was magical because they were used to normal road races. At least one of them wants to try to get in to Goofy with me at WDW this year, and I'm sure he will think it's unique and fun. And he'll be right! A bigger proportion of the magic now comes from the runners. it's a festive atmosphere.

The insanity of park ticket prices and attraction lines recently is making it more unattractive to build a vacation around the races though, and given that, and the diminishing returns as Barca33Runner mentioned, I may need to take a break after this one.
Thank you for the feedback.
As often happens, I am in complete agreement with @Bree here, so @Waiting2goback yes, all of this…

I’ve been really impressed with the on-course entertainment over the past year! Luckily, I truly do not want any merch from any vendor, so the drop-off in all things expo doesn't bother me at all, but there IS a drop-off there, for sure.

Speaking as someone who used to do every race at WDW in a year, I’ve backed way, way off from that due to the cost. Like, I’m not sure I’m going to register for ANY of the MW races this time, and if I do, it’ll “only” be the 10K. But that’s not due to the experience being disappointing: it’s strictly a budget issue for me.

And on the topic of cost, I’ve been an APholder for 30 years, so I don’t really pay attention to ticket prices - but I know my AP price gets harder and harder to swallow. Are the parks still “worth” it? Maybe. The years I did Dopey, I spent very little time in the parks, so buying tickers would have been a hard pass: I only went in for a couple hours here and there because I had the AP. But if you can handle the Goofy mileage and plenty of park time, there’s still plenty to enjoy!

The #1 thing that keeps me running at WDW though are the rD friendships I’ve made. I have some running friends I wouldn’t ever get to see in person outside of race weekends, so even if I’m not racing, I’ll show up to spend time with them. I think these boards and other online media have made it so easy to maintain long distance friendships and ramp up the excitement for race weekends, and that’s a big part of what makes Disney races special. THAT hasn’t changed at all, IMO.
Thank you for the feedback. And thank you for being one of the original people that helped me back in my original ToT thread I mentioned. You and John @FFigawi. :worship:
@Waiting2goback

First, welcome back! Cool to see your post. Not as long as some of the others, but I have been consistently running MW since 2015; here is my two cents. It has gotten more expensive, and some of the value has dissipated. I would love to see them provide better race shirts for example. The courses have held steady for awhile, would be nice to see a change there. You would be glad to know that WWOS has not been part of the course for a few years now, sadly replaced with time in the Blizard Beach parking lot…

But what keeps me coming back every year is the atmosphere and the community of runDisney. It remains a celebration and positive experience with 10-15k other people excited to run around the mouse’s house! This group still does pre-race meet ups, a Friday afternoon gathering and the DATW in Epcot on the Monday after the marathon.

I hope it works for you to go, I think it is still worth it. Of course anytime I am asked if someone should do runDisney my answer is yes; I’m an enabler! 😀😆
Thank you. Wasn't sure anyone would even remember me I have been gone so long. :rolleyes1 And I agree, the people are one of the main reason I am considering going back this year.
And also, it's OK to not go to the parks.

THIS is the big thing for me. I didn't run any of the race weekends before covid, so I can't compare the 2, but I can definitely see how there would be a "let down" with weekends after the first couple because it's pretty much impossible to replicate those "first time" feelings and emotions. The on-course fun and seeing my online friends are an enormous part of what keeps me coming back and driving my excitement each year.
This is actually part of my problem so i agree. My first race was so awesome, one of the best weekends of my life for a variety of reasons. I compare all races to that weekend.
Goofy - that's what I'm planning to do for a second year in a row because:
(a) I can do it in a weekend, unlike the Dopey
(b) anniversary of the Goofy
(c) I hate coming all the way down and not maximizing my time there

Expo: I get in and out of there as quickly as possible; I can't think of the last time there was something I wanted or needed. The expo itself is something to navigate while getting my shirts. The merch building, I can spend a bit more time in, but in recent years it has all been slim pickings, even on Wed night. The one time I want Disney to take my money, and they don't have much.

runDisney: the one attraction that has the gift shop at the beginning of the ride....

Disney itself: Yes, I'm in the camp of where they regularly tick me off with their prices and policies. Things like telling the volunteers that they will no longer get any perks is a shaft. Or some of their virtual queue nonsense. ("No rider slots left for today. But it's 5 minutes to closing and no one is here. Yes, but all slots are taken." Grrrr) The cost of the races themselves are huge, but there isn't anywhere else that is such a fun place to run, plus they have to pay cast members for all the character photo ops and starting the day stupid early in the morning. That said, would it kill Disney to include a park ticket with a challenge, half, or marathon entry? It isn't as if we wouldn't make it up in merch or food. The courses? They are what they are. Back in 2011 we ran a longer distance through HS, which was really cool. Now they have us do a cameo and out the door. I'd rather ditch the BB loop and return to the longer HS path, but I'm guessing they don't want us traipsing through Tatooine....

Since I'm not down there also doing a vacation, I've come to terms with the fact that it is something I really like doing, and to not pay attention to what I'm spending, and enjoy the atmosphere (like none other!), the medals, and the shirts. I'm not down there for the other race weekends, nor traveling to other cities for races, or even doing very many local races, so I enjoy my MW's.

And I will say this, comparing my 2009/2011 medals and shirts to present day? No comparison. The medals are so much fancier and the shirts more colorful and with more interesting designs. I really enjoy wearing my rD race shirts, and the reactions to the distances.

Fun fact: when I traveled to MW in 2009 for my first ever half and first ever rD race, I didn't know about the medals. I thought it would just be a t-shirt like all the 10K's that I've done, so the medals have been a pleasant surprise.

YMMV
Its funny, I am saying I feel a decline in the races but I don't know why. I don't ever buy anything at the expo so the lack or merch shouldn't impact me. Although I used to just love walking around and feeling the energy. 2022 ToT expo was empty. Might have been 3 other non-employees there with me. Just felt like a let down. I also never stop for characters so the entertainment shouldn't matter to me either.

But I had a realization today after reading everyone's posts. I think my issue is, I am 50 now and have been dealing with injuires for a few years now. (I actually torn tendons in my ankle during the 2016 Disney Marathon and had a year recovery from the surgery). Since then it has been my back. I went to a PT last year who told me to stop running or I would paralize myself. So i stopped for about 6 months until i finally got a doctor to do an MRI and he told me not to stop running. It's been a slow journey back.

I think my reluctance is that I am afraid my body won't let me finish the races. See, you guys helped me again. I am not sure I would have realized that on my own.

Since then it has been my back. I went to a PT last year who told me to stop running or I would paralize myself. So i stopped for about 6 months until i finally got a doctor to do an MRI and he told me not to stop running. It's been a slow journey back.
Pffffff, a medical professional tells you to stop running and you actually listen to them!

1712094304946.jpeg

Interesting that they seem to have backtracked from accepting a wider range of races for POT, not sure what to make of that. Maybe some confusion over whether a 12k or 15k would be acceptable for the full?

I have a friend who is running a quarter marathon (~10.5k) in a few weeks that she wants to use and she called rD to see if she could. The answer was yes but that she'd have to enter it as a 10k. What is unclear is whether they would account for the extra distance in calculating her corral placement (she'd be right on the bubble). It doesn't sound like they would so now she's unsure of using that race.

I have a friend who is running a quarter marathon (~10.5k) in a few weeks that she wants to use and she called rD to see if she could. The answer was yes but that she'd have to enter it as a 10k. What is unclear is whether they would account for the extra distance in calculating her corral placement (she'd be right on the bubble). It doesn't sound like they would so now she's unsure of using that race.
I've emailed trackshack before with my distance/time and they responded that it would be accepted into a POT corral (I was on the very edge) so she could probably try that route for extra confirmation.

Pffffff, a medical professional tells you to stop running and you actually listen to them!

View attachment 847672
I know. Well I was having shooting pains down both legs. I have herniated disks and she said the images showed the disks were pushing on the nerves and that’s why I could be paralyzed. When I finally got the orthopedic doctor and he did an MRI. He laughed and said she didn’t know what she was talking about and running would strengthen my core and actually be good for my back, as long as I could handle the pain. So that’s when I started running again.

My biggest problem with new RunDisney is that the liability waiver you sign promises a certain level of excitement they don’t even come close to delivering. “Dismemberment death?” Not sure if there is supposed to be a comma there, but things have really gone sideways during a run if you start losing limbs. “Naegliria Fowlerii?” That’s a brain eating ameba which is usually found in warm lakes, and I don’t see how that applies to running around the BB parking lot. “Severe economic loss and damage?” Okay, after seeing the Dopey prices and rack rates for hotels, they definitely deliver on that one.

View attachment 847643
These crazy things have been in the waiver for a few years. DH and I read it and laughed about these things when races came back from Covid. I wonder what % of participants have ever read the waiver! (And please, nobody knock me into the water on the overly crowded path from HS to the Boardwalk because Disney won’t help me if my brain is eaten by a Zombie amoeba!)

@Waiting2goback i was just getting on the boards back when you were struggling. I felt your anguish as you went through the divorce and rejoiced when you successfully completed your races. It’s good to see you back! Would love to meet you in person!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter