Marathon Weekend 2025

I know. Well I was having shooting pains down both legs. I have herniated disks and she said the images showed the disks were pushing on the nerves and that’s why I could be paralyzed. When I finally got the orthopedic doctor and he did an MRI. He laughed and said she didn’t know what she was talking about and running would strengthen my core and actually be good for my back, as long as I could handle the pain. So that’s when I started running again.
Oooooh, I am VERY familiar with this situation! Short version is that I’ve got some gnarly spinal compression going that sometimes also likes to pinch my sciatic and other assorted nerves on one side. Good times, right?! My chiropractor - who’s a runner - would really like me to walk instead of run, and if I really can’t help myself, run on grass if I must. But the sports med outfit that ordered the MRI and made the diagnosis was more realistic and advised that I decrease my mileage a lot for a while, medicate when it’s interfering with basic daily activity, and see how that goes… I’d be disappointed to say that decreasing mileage helped a LOT, except that I’m also dealing with an angry knee that’s also benefitting from decreased mileage, so I’ve just accepted it at this point. But I’m still running! Welcome to the 50 and up club - enjoy every mile while we still can, right?

My biggest problem with new RunDisney is that the liability waiver you sign promises a certain level of excitement they don’t even come close to delivering. “Dismemberment death?” Not sure if there is supposed to be a comma there, but things have really gone sideways during a run if you start losing limbs. “Naegliria Fowlerii?” That’s a brain eating ameba which is usually found in warm lakes, and I don’t see how that applies to running around the BB parking lot. “Severe economic loss and damage?” Okay, after seeing the Dopey prices and rack rates for hotels, they definitely deliver on that one.

View attachment 847643
You lose ONE guest to a brain-eating amoeba, and Legal just makes you slap that disclaimer on everything. Sheesh. We used to be a real country.

These crazy things have been in the waiver for a few years. DH and I read it and laughed about these things when races came back from Covid. I wonder what % of participants have ever read the waiver! (And please, nobody knock me into the water on the overly crowded path from HS to the Boardwalk because Disney won’t help me if my brain is eaten by a Zombie amoeba!)

@Waiting2goback i was just getting on the boards back when you were struggling. I felt your anguish as you went through the divorce and rejoiced when you successfully completed your races. It’s good to see you back! Would love to meet you in person!
Thank you. Are you going to marathon weekend? Assuming I get the race I want would you be at any of the meetups?
Oooooh, I am VERY familiar with this situation! Short version is that I’ve got some gnarly spinal compression going that sometimes also likes to pinch my sciatic and other assorted nerves on one side. Good times, right?! My chiropractor - who’s a runner - would really like me to walk instead of run, and if I really can’t help myself, run on grass if I must. But the sports med outfit that ordered the MRI and made the diagnosis was more realistic and advised that I decrease my mileage a lot for a while, medicate when it’s interfering with basic daily activity, and see how that goes… I’d be disappointed to say that decreasing mileage helped a LOT, except that I’m also dealing with an angry knee that’s also benefitting from decreased mileage, so I’ve just accepted it at this point. But I’m still running! Welcome to the 50 and up club - enjoy every mile while we still can, right?
Chiro didn’t help me at all. But I did get a sauna last January, so 2023. I have been using that consistently. I got an ice bath this January and do that right after the sauna. I also started strength training in September. I put running on hold again for strength training. But my back pain is gone. The sauna is probably the biggest reason as it was almost gone prior to the other two things, but now it’s all gone. I will occasionally have a little pain after a run but we are talking a 1 out of 10. Before the sauna I couldn’t lift my leg to get dressed.

... and running would strengthen my core and actually be good for my back,
Yup. A lot of back pain is due to strong back muscles overwhelming weak(er) abs, so exercises that strengthen the core can help relieve/prevent back pain. One of those things that isn't intuitive until someone points it out (saying that as someone who had to have it pointed out.) My own leg pain last year was actually due to my back and needing to change my stretching and strengthening.

Hope you sign up. And not running the whole thing is fun also. And take the time to get some photos along the way. There's plenty of cheaper races to get a good race time, not many others with so many good photo ops. Once it's over, all that's left is the shirt, a medal, and photos. It's fun sharing photos.
The shirts are too casual at work and the medals get to be a bit much, especially when they keep bouncing off the keyboard....

;-)

I don’t suppose there’s any trick to actually getting a slot in one of the marathon weekend races, is there? Seems impossible

I don’t suppose there’s any trick to actually getting a slot in one of the marathon weekend races, is there? Seems impossible
I don't think it's impossible just difficult. Based on the sign ups for the last few races. Being ready with multiple browsers before the sign up time (one window on chrome, Firefox, edge and one incognito on each), phone seems to have a pretty high success rate at getting in early enough to get any of the races. Scrolling the boards here also seems helpful to sang someone's unused short wait link. But yeah it's definitely difficult from what I've experienced.

I don't think it's impossible just difficult. Based on the sign ups for the last few races. Being ready with multiple browsers before the sign up time (one window on chrome, Firefox, edge and one incognito on each), phone seems to have a pretty high success rate at getting in early enough to get any of the races. Scrolling the boards here also seems helpful to sang someone's unused short wait link. But yeah it's definitely difficult from what I've experienced.
Am I missing something? The last couple years I have checked and the 10k and 1/2 seem to sell out fast but the full, Goofy, and Dopey are open days later? I mean I plan to be ready when it opens but I didn’t think those options are that hard anymore? What time does it start, 9am?

It’s all speculation for now as to how quickly this year will sell out. The last couple years have been very fast, but with the race dates moving back to the second weekend in January there is a possibility of lower demand since fewer schools will be out and people might not be as willing/able to take off work.

I have never missed out on a registration I’ve wanted and don’t really have any tricks. I’m ready about a half hour before the posted registration time, sign into my rD account, open windows in a couple browsers and on my phone (as mentioned above), and have my payment info ready to be entered when prompted. It’s always a little more stressful than it needs to be, but it is definitely not impossible. Anecdotally, I remember very few who were ready morning of registration on previous MW threads over the years being completely shut out.

Am I missing something? The last couple years I have checked and the 10k and 1/2 seem to sell out fast but the full, Goofy, and Dopey are open days later? I mean I plan to be ready when it opens but I didn’t think those options are that hard anymore? What time does it start, 9am?

My first Dopey I think I signed up for in September or October. I’m pretty sure since the return from Covid every race has sold out on registration day. Partly from demand, but also because I think they reduced the field by ~10,000 runners. Registration starts at 10 am eastern standard time on April 9. You can log on earlier and get put into a queue, but it doesn’t mean that you’ll get in before someone who logs in at 10:01 or 10:20.

You might want to check out this thread for how quickly races have been selling out lately.

Thread 'Historical Race Weekend Sell Out Timing'
https://www.disboards.com/threads/historical-race-weekend-sell-out-timing.3844193/

My DH says my idea of roughing it is continental breakfast 😆

Seriously though….I love the outdoors. Hiking, fishing, 4-wheeling, etc. We own horses and just sold our farm. I am not afraid of dirt, sweat and hard work, but when I’m done I want foo foo plush spoiled princess 😬
I love a continental breakfast! It’s free and pretty decent food. How can you not like it?

This is totally me! Except I don’t have horses. Just wish I did. 🐴

Side note…visiting the smoky mountains and we did 3 hikes in 2 days. I love it! My family, not as much as I do. They like the views, just not the hiking part…well my DD doesn’t like it. But she doesn’t like anything that requires effort. Being flatlanders, the elevation is pretty hard for them. So I’ve been carrying the pack since I’m the only one with any conditioning.

@The Expert thanks for sharing pics of the merchandise. Definitely have some things I’m wanting. I’m not a pin collector, but those pennant flags look cool. Like others said before, hope they actually have some real pennant flags, would be a cool souvenir.

Last edited:
I was wondering if phones had any luck. My laptop has been on the fritz lately and not sure if it’s because my DS is constantly sucking WiFi for his games or if it’s going bad. Have to figure out my game plan before Tuesday.

I was wondering if phones had any luck. My laptop has been on the fritz lately and not sure if it’s because my DS is constantly sucking WiFi for his games or if it’s going bad. Have to figure out my game plan before Tuesday.

This thread has a detailed rundown of the reg process, with screen shots: https://www.disboards.com/threads/historical-race-weekend-sell-out-timing.3844193/post-63173194

And on the day of registration, have a window open to this thread. As people get in and have queues still in line, we can share them via DM (so also be sure you have enough posts on the boards to send/receive those). This is a very supportive group and we all do our best to help get each other in!

This thread has a detailed rundown of the reg process, with screen shots: https://www.disboards.com/threads/historical-race-weekend-sell-out-timing.3844193/post-63173194

And on the day of registration, have a window open to this thread. As people get in and have queues still in line, we can share them via DM (so also be sure you have enough posts on the boards to send/receive those). This is a very supportive group and we all do our best to help get each other in!
How many posts do you need to receive DM?

And just to add, those 10 posts need to be somewhere other than the DVC Board. There is a timing component too - meaning once you hit 10 posts it doesn’t automatically unlock the Conversation feature. I don’t know exactly where they have it set but I’d give it 24 hours just to be safe, so not something to wait until day of for anyone that is new that needs to DM.

EEEEK this time next week I will either be thrilled to be in for another MW or freaking out and trying to get a charity bib!
Is the only opportunity to get the pre-purchase merch at the time of registration? Or can we go back later and add it if we want? I love the artwork but not ready to pull the trigger on the merch just yet.

The 2019 Star Wars rival run to me is peak RunDisney.
1000% correct! Those were the glory days....

I think there has been a big shift after 2020: more expensive, fewer vendors, cheaper quality. I also don’t consider characters to be entertainment, so the fact that now Donald is wearing an ultra-rare polka dot vest is completely lost on me. The 2019 Star Wars rival run to me is peak RunDisney. Great photo ops on the best course layout. The race started through the woods leading to Animal Kingdom where they had smoke machines and lasers, lots of Star Wars characters, music, etc.

View attachment 847504
Being a HUGE Star Wars fans, I am disappointed that I only started running in 2021 in preparation for the 2022 marathon. I have seen pictures and video, but I imagine that they pale in comparison to the actual experience. It must have been something else for a Star Wars fan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter