Marathon Weekend 2025

Yup. A lot of back pain is due to strong back muscles overwhelming weak(er) abs, so exercises that strengthen the core can help relieve/prevent back pain. One of those things that isn't intuitive until someone points it out (saying that as someone who had to have it pointed out.) My own leg pain last year was actually due to my back and needing to change my stretching and strengthening.

Hope you sign up. And not running the whole thing is fun also. And take the time to get some photos along the way. There's plenty of cheaper races to get a good race time, not many others with so many good photo ops. Once it's over, all that's left is the shirt, a medal, and photos. It's fun sharing photos.
The shirts are too casual at work and the medals get to be a bit much, especially when they keep bouncing off the keyboard....

;-)
Don't forget glutes and hip flexors are part of the core. I'd been strength training for years before I heard that piece of information.

I don't want to downplay people's issues but I feel like although it can be a stressful experience, most people here are able to get their races. Tougher if you're signing up multiple people or if the theme ends up being popular, but you see fewer complaints here about missing out than you would on say Instagram, where I suspect some complaints are from people who are jumping in *after* the queue opens up (and hence, being placed at the end). I've never missed a registration, done three weekends since the restart, and my worst sign-up by far was for DL this year, which had issues in large part because it was the first race weekend back and there was huge demand.

What I'm worried about? The stupid t-shirt selection glitch. Hoping it won't be an issue next week.

Being a HUGE Star Wars fans, I am disappointed that I only started running in 2021 in preparation for the 2022 marathon. I have seen pictures and video, but I imagine that they pale in comparison to the actual experience. It must have been something else for a Star Wars fan.

I think the biggest change in the races for me is the crowd support. Star Wars had local groups dressed up in costumes (like 30 people in stormtrooper armor, a group cosplaying Rebels, a bunch of Mandalorians from the Clone Wars) and the atmosphere was just amazing. I found some photos from the 2019 race, which kind of show how different it is not to have a crowd consisting of a handful of cast members at select points of a course.

1712154231166.jpeg
1712154261147.jpeg
1712154287176.jpeg
1712154308284.jpeg

Yup. A lot of back pain is due to strong back muscles overwhelming weak(er) abs, so exercises that strengthen the core can help relieve/prevent back pain. One of those things that isn't intuitive until someone points it out (saying that as someone who had to have it pointed out.) My own leg pain last year was actually due to my back and needing to change my stretching and strengthening.

Hope you sign up. And not running the whole thing is fun also. And take the time to get some photos along the way. There's plenty of cheaper races to get a good race time, not many others with so many good photo ops. Once it's over, all that's left is the shirt, a medal, and photos. It's fun sharing photos.
The shirts are too casual at work and the medals get to be a bit much, especially when they keep bouncing off the keyboard....

;-)
If I am able to register, I plan to have fun. I am going to bring my go-pro and I plan to make a video for youtube. I did one for my 2016 marathon. I plan to make this a bit higher quality.
My first Dopey I think I signed up for in September or October. I’m pretty sure since the return from Covid every race has sold out on registration day. Partly from demand, but also because I think they reduced the field by ~10,000 runners. Registration starts at 10 am eastern standard time on April 9. You can log on earlier and get put into a queue, but it doesn’t mean that you’ll get in before someone who logs in at 10:01 or 10:20.
OK, thank you. I will be ready. I have my work blocked out so nobody should bother me.

I think the biggest change in the races for me is the crowd support. Star Wars had local groups dressed up in costumes (like 30 people in stormtrooper armor, a group cosplaying Rebels, a bunch of Mandalorians from the Clone Wars) and the atmosphere was just amazing. I found some photos from the 2019 race, which kind of show how different it is not to have a crowd consisting of a handful of cast members at select points of a course.
The local 501st/Rebel Legion organizations were always involved with the Star Wars Weekends parades, so it makes sense they'd be involved with runDisney cheering. I'm also a huge Star Wars fan who only started running AFTER those races ended. :(

OK, I'm feeling like a newbie with this question but....
Do I need to use a different email address to create a profile for my son?
Is there a way to create a profile for him "inside" of my account, or do I need to create a whole separate account as if he were doing it on his own (don't even get me started by pulling on that thread....)

Thanks. Just trying to have all my waterfowl aligned for next week.

Being a HUGE Star Wars fans, I am disappointed that I only started running in 2021 in preparation for the 2022 marathon. I have seen pictures and video, but I imagine that they pale in comparison to the actual experience. It must have been something else for a Star Wars fan.
My motivation to train for anything more than a 10K was to get the Kessel Run medal, so I get this! I did miss the DL version, but was able to earn it through the virtual race they added after that canceled. I did the WDW Star Wars weekend a couple of times, and while it was incredible, it was always SO HOT!

If I am able to register, I plan to have fun. I am going to bring my go-pro and I plan to make a video for youtube. I did one for my 2016 marathon. I plan to make this a bit higher quality.
I'd actually love to see the 2016 version. My first marathon was in 2020, after the course changed. Is it online anywhere?

But instead I just booked our room for MW - first time at POFQ for us! I keep hearing how it's a good one for run weekends.

That's where I stayed this past MW and I can agree with what you heard. It's very close to Epcot so the bus rides are short, and I've always like POFQ for its relatively compact layout anyway. As a bonus I was lucky enough to get a building 4 room that was right next to the dining area, so my tired legs didn't have to walk far to get food.

My motivation to train for anything more than a 10K was to get the Kessel Run medal, so I get this! I did miss the DL version, but was able to earn it through the virtual race they added after that canceled. I did the WDW Star Wars weekend a couple of times, and while it was incredible, it was always SO HOT!

I'd actually love to see the 2016 version. My first marathon was in 2020, after the course changed. Is it online anywhere?
Here's a picture from my MW 2016 Event Guide.
A61C75EB-9B3F-4BD1-8674-EC47D0A51BBE.jpeg

I am fully prepared to dodge flying fruit, but I liked WWOS.
"... relative to the Blizzard Beach parking lot"? Or you legitimately enjoyed that stretch of course?

(One of my personal goals for the '23 marathon was to make the BB parking lot mile my fastest mile of the race. I had a special playlist of hype music and everything. Totally nailed it, too!)

"... relative to the Blizzard Beach parking lot"? Or you legitimately enjoyed that stretch of course?

(One of my personal goals for the '23 marathon was to make the BB parking lot mile my fastest mile of the race. I had a special playlist of hype music and everything. Totally nailed it, too!)
I'll take the short jaunt around the Blizzard Beach parking lot over the interminable winding around through the maze of WWoS any day, but that's just me. I think folks also forget the ~4 mile slog of fully exposed open highway from the AK exit to get to WWoS. There's open road from AK to the BB parking lot, too, but there's often shade on the right side of the road and it's significantly shorter.

Legitimately enjoyed it. There were usually some nice character stops. I liked running on the warning track. I also didn't mind the twists and turns because they gave me something to focus on.

I will agree that getting there was terrible.

As for Blizzard Beach, I liked 2020 when we ran through the actual park, even if the lazy river was taunting me at that point. The parking lot is meh, but I've only done it once - 2023 as part of Dopey - and I was so over running at that point, so I don't think it's an accurate representation to me. I was barely ahead of the balloon ladies and my husband texted that he was swept as I was exiting, and all I could think is how good that sounded. I have had no desire to do Dopey again.

I'll take the short jaunt around the Blizzard Beach parking lot over the interminable winding around through the maze of WWoS any day, but that's just me. I think folks also forget the ~4 mile slog of fully exposed open highway from the AK exit to get to WWoS. There's open road from AK to the BB parking lot, too, but there's often shade on the right side of the road and it's significantly shorter.
The stretches from MK into AK and AK to HS always seemed very long, like at least 9 or 10 miles each.
(Seemed like it) After studying the maps in more detail, the stretches are much shorter, like around 3 miles. Knowing that in my head helped with the mental aspect of dealing with those stretches, because 3 miles is a 5K and I can do a 5K...
Did the 2011 marathon go through WWoS? If so, I have no memory of it. I do remember running past the old Disney Speedway and the longer path through HS, but not WWoS. It was all so new to me that a lot of it was a blur, and then a ten year layoff before returning to somewhat different race routes.

I will say this: miles in the parks and pretty much all of HS through the finish seem flow by so much better than the road miles. Just something about the crowds and the surroundings. I feel so pumped going through MK and then again in AK, and then that whole HS-Boardwalk-Epcot stretch is invigorating. I hope this is true for others.

Here is my link, it was my first ever video so it wasn't great. I ran with my friend Matt. We took pics in front of Spaceship Earth at the beginning. I have a gimbal now so if I do a video for this race it shouldn't be shaky. I am in the blue and he is in grey:

Lee Hoedl does much better videos, back then at least:

I've only experienced the dreadful Blizzard Beach parking lot, but I imagine that I would have much preferred ESPN WWOS. Truth be told, I have a huge smile on my face whenever I drive there going to the Expo. Mind you, I could just be excited about the upcoming race. However, it's a great place for a sports fan.

Legitimately enjoyed it. There were usually some nice character stops. I liked running on the warning track. I also didn't mind the twists and turns because they gave me something to focus on.

I will agree that getting there was terrible.

As for Blizzard Beach, I liked 2020 when we ran through the actual park, even if the lazy river was taunting me at that point. The parking lot is meh, but I've only done it once - 2023 as part of Dopey - and I was so over running at that point, so I don't think it's an accurate representation to me. I was barely ahead of the balloon ladies and my husband texted that he was swept as I was exiting, and all I could think is how good that sounded. I have had no desire to do Dopey again.
Good, available, real bathrooms in WWoS too if I remember correctly

I don't want to downplay people's issues but I feel like although it can be a stressful experience, most people here are able to get their races. Tougher if you're signing up multiple people or if the theme ends up being popular, but you see fewer complaints here about missing out than you would on say Instagram, where I suspect some complaints are from people who are jumping in *after* the queue opens up (and hence, being placed at the end). I've never missed a registration, done three weekends since the restart, and my worst sign-up by far was for DL this year, which had issues in large part because it was the first race weekend back and there was huge demand.
Only once since 2012 have I been shut out of a race, and never out of an entire race weekend’s events. Considering I truly do not know how many rD races I’ve done at this point, I think that’s a pretty decent statistic. And I don’t do anything special, beyond using registration links donated by kind-hearted DISers lately. I have noticed that registrations these days fall on my WFH days over WiFi and my queues take much longer to go through than other people’s, and the whole process seems to take longer than it used to when I was on work’s corded network connection, but I’m not tech-savvy enough to say whether that has any bearing at all.
I didn’t exactly like WWOS, but I didn’t mind it. I did mind BB’s scorching parking lot.

:duck: I do truly love WDW’s long stretches of highway, though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter