Marathon Weekend 2025

Does anyone have any advice for racing in the cold + wind + rain? I'm racing 10 miles on Sunday for a new POT for Marathon Weekend. I had lofty goals of PRing to bump myself up a corral for the HM weekends but with the conditions I think I'm throwing that out the door already and am just going to aim for the bare minimum to put myself back in B for the marathon.

Forecast at start is showing 39F with a 26F real feel, 14-21mph winds, and rain. I'll admit, I have never ran in the cold rain. I hardly run in the warm rain and Marathon Weekend was my first time running any significant distance in the rain. I know to body glide everything...what I am worried about is getting wet and then very cold. Usually for this temp I would be wearing long sleeve + heavy quarter zip, fleece leggings, fleece gloves, fleece headband, plus a lightweight buff neck gaiter. With the rain I am thinking I need to wear a visor over my headband (annoying) and probably sunglasses to keep water/wind out of my eyes. Is it worth wearing a water resistant shell or would I totally roast? Wet gloves sounds like a nightmare but not sure what else I'd do there.

I'll also admit I really don't warm up before races (ugh, I know). But with it being awfully cold, I am wondering if I should just do a light jog beforehand and some jumping jacks or something. I'm always paranoid I'll wear myself out during a warmup. Can you tell I'm totally dreading this?! :rotfl:

Does anyone have any advice for racing in the cold + wind + rain? I'm racing 10 miles on Sunday for a new POT for Marathon Weekend. I had lofty goals of PRing to bump myself up a corral for the HM weekends but with the conditions I think I'm throwing that out the door already and am just going to aim for the bare minimum to put myself back in B for the marathon.

Forecast at start is showing 39F with a 26F real feel, 14-21mph winds, and rain. I'll admit, I have never ran in the cold rain. I hardly run in the warm rain and Marathon Weekend was my first time running any significant distance in the rain. I know to body glide everything...what I am worried about is getting wet and then very cold. Usually for this temp I would be wearing long sleeve + heavy quarter zip, fleece leggings, fleece gloves, fleece headband, plus a lightweight buff neck gaiter. With the rain I am thinking I need to wear a visor over my headband (annoying) and probably sunglasses to keep water/wind out of my eyes. Is it worth wearing a water resistant shell or would I totally roast? Wet gloves sounds like a nightmare but not sure what else I'd do there.

I'll also admit I really don't warm up before races (ugh, I know). But with it being awfully cold, I am wondering if I should just do a light jog beforehand and some jumping jacks or something. I'm always paranoid I'll wear myself out during a warmup. Can you tell I'm totally dreading this?! :rotfl:
Are you doing Goldy’s Run too? I swear that forecast gets worse every time I look at it!

I’m wearing a t-shirt over a long sleeve shirt, with my cold-weather leggings. I’m debating between a visor to keep water off my face and something I can pull over my ears if they get cold. I’m less worried about being cold during the run than I am after the run, so I’ll be packing a fleece top in my gear bag to change into. I hope that finishing inside the stadium will cut down on the wind at the finish.

Are you doing Goldy’s Run too? I swear that forecast gets worse every time I look at it!

I’m wearing a t-shirt over a long sleeve shirt, with my cold-weather leggings. I’m debating between a visor to keep water off my face and something I can pull over my ears if they get cold. I’m less worried about being cold during the run than I am after the run, so I’ll be packing a fleece top in my gear bag to change into. I hope that finishing inside the stadium will cut down on the wind at the finish.
Yes!! It looks absolutely miserable :laughing: Better than snow beforehand, at least. I for sure need something over ears and after not having a visor for the marathon in January I am never showing up without one if rain is even a possibility LOL!

So with wind that strong, sometimes visors and hats are hard to keep on. For rain, I prefer hats over visors, just to add an extra layer between my head and the rain. If you have a head band/ear warmer, try wearing it over the hat/visor to help add extra resistance from it blowing off. I find that a hat usually protects my eyes well enough from rain - so you might not need the sunglasses. But you could take them just in case, or put them on top of your hat/visor if you find you don’t need them.
You might try wearing an emergency poncho to start to help keep you dry and warm, and then discard it if you feel like it is making you over heat.

My cousin is in Houston and she was asking me about my treadmill yesterday. She's got 2-year-old twins and I'm sure having a treadmill at home would make training for her easier. Put a movie on for the twins (and her), and do a long run inside during the summer.
Beware: my four year old LOVES to run on the treadmill with me. 😬

So with wind that strong, sometimes visors and hats are hard to keep on. For rain, I prefer hats over visors, just to add an extra layer between my head and the rain. If you have a head band/ear warmer, try wearing it over the hat/visor to help add extra resistance from it blowing off. I find that a hat usually protects my eyes well enough from rain - so you might not need the sunglasses. But you could take them just in case, or put them on top of your hat/visor if you find you don’t need them.
You might try wearing an emergency poncho to start to help keep you dry and warm, and then discard it if you feel like it is making you over heat.
Thank you—you just helped me figure out my headwear solution too. I have a nice visor that’s great in rain, and secure enough it won’t get blown off my head, and I have these RokBand multifunction headbands. I can wear a RokBand under my visor and pull it over my ears, or not, as I please. I wouldn’t have though of that before you mentioned combining visors and ear warmers

Unfortunately, I can't offer ANY advice for running in the cold. The only semblance of useful information that I can provide is to definitely warm up before the race much like you would for a hard run. Get your body primed in order to give it your best effort.

Good luck and I hope that you have the race that you have been training for.

! :rotfl:

I run in the rain, and MW was pretty brutal at 50 degrees, I can’t imagine in the 30s. If it’s continuous rain, I would definitely recommend a shell because you will want to keep your core warm and dry in those conditions. I would also consider shoes that dry fast, unless you have some goretex shoes like trail runners. I would also pick thinner socks, assuming you will get soaked no matter what. I usually wear a compression short under my running clothes, and that saved me for MW. Tracksmith has a rain collection if you feel like spending beaucoup bucks and want to look preppy while you suffer.

https://www.tracksmith.com/collections/rain-collection

I run in the rain, and MW was pretty brutal at 50 degrees, I can’t imagine in the 30s. If it’s continuous rain, I would definitely recommend a shell because you will want to keep your core warm and dry in those conditions. I would also consider shoes that dry fast, unless you have some goretex shoes like trail runners. I would also pick thinner socks, assuming you will get soaked no matter what. I usually wear a compression short under my running clothes, and that saved me for MW. Tracksmith has a rain collection if you feel like spending beaucoup bucks and want to look preppy while you suffer.

https://www.tracksmith.com/collections/rain-collection
$400 for a raincoat?!?! At least the rain shorts are only $150. Seriously, who dishes out this kind of money on a windbreaker? 🤣 🤣🤣

We are headed to Savannah for me to run my 50th half, and spent the last while catching up on this thread (me reading aloud while DH drives). I haven’t been able to train (I’ve only done two short runs since PW), so this one’s going to be a real struggle. I’ve had a lot of health issues, and this distance is now really tough for me. I’m not sure if this will be my final half or not. The only thing I’m registered for after this is the Peachtree. I want to keep running, but I might need to stick with shorter distances. I just don’t know at this point. I’m hoping to get in the 10k for MW, and DH wants to do the full again. The last time I ran the full was 2020 (and it turned out that I had the flu and covid while running it). I haven’t been the same runner since (heart rate goes very high when running and my pace is very slow). My cardiologist thinks I have long covid. Throw in a major emergency abdominal surgery in 2022, with complications, and my running times got even worse. It’s frustrating, but I feel like I need to get to 50 before I possibly retire from the half distance. I could use any encouraging thoughts you have for me while I’m on the course tomorrow. Thank you!
Wishing you the best for your 50th tomorrow. Zero doubts in my mind that you will get it done.

I haven't been through something like this and cannot imagine how frustrating it must be for you. But I would reccomend giving yourself grace and know that just because you cannot get back to being able to run like you used to right now, it doesn't mean it won't ever happen. My hope is that with a little more time we will learn more about things like long-Covid and how to treat the lingering effects. Sounds like you've got a great attitude in dealing with a frustrating situation. Hopefully you will look back in the near future and realize this was just a bump in the road that made your a stronger person and runner.

We are headed to Savannah for me to run my 50th half, and spent the last while catching up on this thread (me reading aloud while DH drives). I haven’t been able to train (I’ve only done two short runs since PW), so this one’s going to be a real struggle. I’ve had a lot of health issues, and this distance is now really tough for me. I’m not sure if this will be my final half or not. The only thing I’m registered for after this is the Peachtree. I want to keep running, but I might need to stick with shorter distances. I just don’t know at this point. I’m hoping to get in the 10k for MW, and DH wants to do the full again. The last time I ran the full was 2020 (and it turned out that I had the flu and covid while running it). I haven’t been the same runner since (heart rate goes very high when running and my pace is very slow). My cardiologist thinks I have long covid. Throw in a major emergency abdominal surgery in 2022, with complications, and my running times got even worse. It’s frustrating, but I feel like I need to get to 50 before I possibly retire from the half distance. I could use any encouraging thoughts you have for me while I’m on the course tomorrow. Thank you!
Try not to get discouraged. I have had many injuries recently as I said before. When my PT told me to stop running I left the appointment and got in the car and cried I was so frustrated. I tore tendons in my ankle during the 2016 Disney full marathon and had surgery. My doctor told me never to run more than 6 miles again and 8 years later I’m considering doing Dopey. Point is, your situation now may not always be the same. Down the road you may be able to run 1/2’s again. Even a 10k is still a good distance and you can focus on improving your times at that distance. To me, running is a gift, so does it really matter the distance at the end of the day? Just keep staying consistent and things will work out.

There is a lot of experience on this board with that, so please ask questions! We have some awesome planners here who manage to balance all the things during race weekends.
Thanks! Everyone has been so nice and helpful!
I can not share enough praises for the run/walk/run method! I believe it saved running for me! I suffered a significant injury that led to more than a year of PT, rest, multiple doctors and eventually surgery. Post surgery my rehabilitation PT, who is a runner, got me to try r/w/r. I struggled at first with my ego and, sadly, my fear of what others would think if I was walking during a run - so stupid… But I got over it and now totally embrace r/w/r. That was 2019/2020 and I have circled past 50 and am running better than I could have hoped to! It was a total game changer for me.
Getting over the thought of walking was definitely a struggle. I started using it in 2021 when I started training for my first marathon. Love it!

You've gotten a lot of good advice already, so I'll just chime in on the gloves piece. I did a 14 mile long run in 34-36 degree rain a few years ago. My gloves got soaked and I might as well have not been wearing them. I thought I might've actually done some damage to my hands at the time. Since then, if the temp gets that low in the rain I make sure to slip some Hot Hands into the gloves and that seems to do the trick.

Last edited:
I’ve used the Higdon dopey plan many times, and it will definitely prepare you for MW. “High mileage” is such a subjective term, so be prepared for 5 days a week of running, with the long run the first week being 13 miles. My only caution with run/walk is that I feel people spend too much time on their training long runs. Galloway has the longest run being a full marathon, and people are spending 8 hours completing this. I definitely feel that once you go past 3 hours on a long run, there are some major diminishing returns.
My 2 cents worth: The training plans with the race-length runs may be fine for a PR race, but for MW the full length runs may be overkill. Why? Because of the (presumably) numerous rest breaks in the form of character photos, Castle selfies, etc. Plus IMHO the Dopey is so different due to being such an endurance challenge. If one can do 13 miles on a weekend run, plus 3-5 runs during the week, that will get you through a Dopey. Walk or jog the 5k, jog the 10k, do easy run/ walk for the half, and then use what is left in the talk for running and walking the full.
Again, just my 2-cents worth, especially if you don’t have time for the hours needed for the very long training runs.

I know that I'm putting the cart WAY in front of the horse considering (1) I haven't successfully registered for the Dopey Challenge and (2) proper marathon training won't begin until early September. Nonetheless, how have you experienced Dopey runners paced the half marathon? Assuming that I use the Hanson's Marathon Method for the Dopey, I was contemplating using my long run pace for the Half. Any suggestions or stories of past experiences are greatly appreciated.
Coming in late to this…I either chill and stop for every photo, or I race it for a new PoT if I don’t have one in the bank already. One of these years I’ll join the DLS crew.

I loved the Higdon intermediate marathon plan. I felt like it had enough mileage to train without taking up all my time. I love the step back weeks. I see the Dopey plan has step back weeks too. I did 2 20 mile long runs last training block and it took me 4 hours each time. I do think for a marathon you need to get a good long run in at least once. But that’s the beauty of running, each person is different and requires different training. Just takes the time to figure out what works best for you.

Good Luck to those doing a race this morning!
Run your race with perseverance and cast aside those things that are waying you down. Keep your eyes fixed on the prize! Hebrews 12:1-2

We are headed to Savannah for me to run my 50th half.
Best wishes for a great race! Sorry about the health issues. As a “much older than you” runner, I have running problems too. I really want to do the Goofy 20th anniversary, but 10ks are hard these days! Whatever I do MW, I’ll probably start limiting the distances after that. I have the Lake Hartwell Dam Run May 4th, and then DH and I are doing Peachtree. Maybe we’ll see you there!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter