Marathon Weekend 2025

SAFD: Being over 50 my training is a little different. Take a couple of months real slow after Dopey. Then, Use a mix of Galloway and Higdon. Start the season off trying to build a little speed and then start building miles. The focus is on the one fairly fast run in the middle of the week sandwiched by recovering runs and the back to back long run on the weekends. When the legs feel unbearably dead I’ll take a week real slow to recover. Try to finish with a 12 and 24 mile back to back run a month before dopey. Then dial it down. Achilles, knees, and hip are always aching so really listen to the body if possible.

SAFD: If it is a race that I'm passionate about (i.e., Dopey), I have used @DopeyBadger plans. Seeing all of us who have said that shows the importance that Billy is to this community. I know I wouldn't be as good of a runner or as knowledgeable without those plans and structure.

If it is a less important race, then I have adapted past @DopeyBadger plans. It lets me try to incorporate what I've learned from him and his plans. I still feel much more confident in the plans he prepares than my adapted ones!

Seeing all of us who have said that shows the importance that Billy is to this community. I know I wouldn't be as good of a runner or as knowledgeable without those plans and structure.
This. I do whatever @DopeyBadger tells me to do, because when I try to come up with something on my own I get hurt. Maybe one day I'll have enough experience to figure things out for myself, but for right now I don't know what I don't know, so his help is invaluable.

SAFD: I've had two successful Dopey's mainly using Higdon's novice 2 marathon plan, I really like the three weekday runs plus one long run format. I find running to be a chore and so I don't think I'd do well with a plan that requires 5-6 days per week of running. I shift around my days a lot based on weather and never ran into any issues with that. I will say the first round of the plan was much harder than the second round for me, those 15+ milers were definitely hard on my body the first time but were much easier after I had a few under my belt. I did two 20 milers for each training cycle, bumping up one of the long runs to an extra 20 miler. My long run pace for marathon training was usually around 11:15-11:45 pace so it was a good amount of time on my feet but I felt a lot more confident getting those longer runs in.

For my first Dopey I did a few weeks of the end of Higdon's Dopey plan (I think the 18 and 19 milers with back to backs) and found those so exhausting with little benefit. I run the races very differently than how I train, so I didn't find training back to backs necessary for me. In training, I generally don't walk and am pretty sedentary outside of my runs (work from home). Whereas during Dopey I am hitting the parks before/after races, walking up hills if I feel like it, stopping for a majority of character photos (if the line is not too long)...so the distances feel much "easier" on my body than in training since I have all those little breaks and am staying loose between races with all the park miles.

All that to say...I only worry about training for the marathon for Dopey, and don't do anything special to train for the first three races!

When do I start? I haven't thought that far! The plan is about 18 weeks so I have lots of time. Until then, I'll probably train so that I am running 8-12 milers a couple times a month. I've been focusing on shorter distances and am thinking about doing a fall half marathon which should set me up well for transitioning to marathon training. No fall marathon for me since I did not get into New York or Chicago :sad:

SAFD: I make my own plans, but they're really just modified Hanson's training plans. I prefer to run 7 days a week (historically; I may concede to reality and drop that down to 6 days next time), and I only do about 80%-90% of the 'Advanced' plan mileage, but I like the structure and rhythm of Hanson's training plans, and have had great results from it!

SAFD: I’ve used a mix of plans in the past - originally started with the rD Galloway plans but have branched out a bit depending on the race.

Right now I’m training for a half at the end of May as my POT race for Dopey. This is the first time I’ve made a concerted effort to pick up the pace and I’ve started using some of the tempo and interval guided runs from Nike Run Club (where they fit in my plan) because I am terrible at keeping track of my intervals so it’s easier for someone in my ears to tell me start or stop :)

After the May Half - I’ll likely go back to a mix of maintenance runs, core and weight training for the summer before getting into real Dopey training by Labor Day. This year I plan to follow a marathon training plan rather than a Dopey specific plan as I need to fit in some core and weight training and I just can’t manage that when running 6 days a week.

SAFD: I have used a variety of plans in the past and generally modify a Galloway plan. Whatever plan I use, I do RWR. My typical week looks like MW run 4.5 miles, Friday is hill repeats or speed work for 3 miles, long run on Saturday, Sunday rest. On TTh I usually do my peloton, flushing out those legs. I do Pure Barre 4-6 days a week for strength and yoga is built in 4-6 days a week as well.

Right now I don't have a race except MW (doing 10k and 1/2). I want to find a fall 1/2 to do just to keep the training going. DH and I are just trying to keep our base so we have been doing long runs most weekends between 7-9 miles. We will probably hit a 10 miler this week. Basically want to me 1/2 ready. Just feeling really good building back up. I have to say that with RWR I feel I could safely run about 5-6 days a week. I have to look at some plans to see what we want to do for our other races. We have a pretty steep hill that is about 0.25 mile so we do those repeats on Fridays in the summer and I want to build in some track workouts too. In the colder/darker mornings I do Peloton Tread workouts for speed work.

SAFD: I have kind of just used my own plan in the past, but have considered something more structured as this will be my first full marathon. In the past, I just upped mileage slowly and stayed consistent.
I have kept a decent base since my last half, and plan to build on that. Currently running 35 - 40 mi a week right now over 6 days. I’d like to up that a bit over summer, but plan to really dig in come Aug/Sept.

Any pointers are welcome! Also cross training ideas as I often fall short there.

SAFD: I run year round so the training never really stops. I used to take big breaks when I didn't have a race on the calendar but I've learned how hard it is to start running again that I do my best to keep some mileage going.

As far as what and when for this coming year, I'm not sure. Ask me again in August 😄.

I've followed Hanson plans for my last three marathons. I'm happy to run 6 days a week but not so happy to spend 4 hours at a time doing it so the schedule suits me.

Great question by the way! There are lots of options out there. The best thing you can do is pick the plan that matches your current fitness and commit to it.

SAFD: for my first three marathons I used Nike’s plan, I think I’m going to be switching to one of Higdon’s (maybe intermediate?) this time and see how that goes, it’s definitely a step up but I think I’m ready. Since I’m doing NYC in November too, training “officially” starts in July. I found a separate plan for what to do if you plan to do two marathons in two months so after NYC is done I'll take a short break to recover and switch to that.

ATTQOTD: I’m running NY so that training will start in July. I see my surgeon next week for a follow up and I assume she will clear me to start running. I like Hanson plans so I’ll probably recycle one of my maintenance plans to prep me for marathon training or purchase a new one. I’d like to stick to 5 days a week until marathon training starts where I’ll run 6 days. I use run/walk with those plans except for speed work intervals. After NY I’ll stick to recovery runs for a couple weeks then continue on with the last few weeks of a Hansons marathon plan.

SAFD: Being over 50 my training is a little different. Take a couple of months real slow after Dopey. Then, Use a mix of Galloway and Higdon. Start the season off trying to build a little speed and then start building miles. The focus is on the one fairly fast run in the middle of the week sandwiched by recovering runs and the back to back long run on the weekends. When the legs feel unbearably dead I’ll take a week real slow to recover. Try to finish with a 12 and 24 mile back to back run a month before dopey. Then dial it down. Achilles, knees, and hip are always aching so really listen to the body if possible.
I will be exactly 5 weeks away from 70 when I pick up my Goofy medal in 2025. I definitely understand the aches and pains in feet, Achilles, knees, and hips! So my training plan is a modified RWR Galloway plan. DH had a Master Fitness Instructor certification in the military, and together we have a 4-day plan (instead of Galloway’s 3-day) with back-to-backs every weekend, MWFSat.
Maintenance weeks include M, F: 2.5 -4.5 miles and W,Sat: 6.5 miles. We include exercise classes M & Th taught by a retired head football coach and weight training teacher who taught with me at our high school. He incorporates strength, flexibility, and balance.
We will ramp up our Saturday long runs, in August per Galloway’s Goofy plan August 10, when our Saturday run goes up to 7 and starts building. W&D weekend hits just before our scheduled 20 miler, so we will do 22.4 over three days, then modify the weekend timing some to do 2 “real” 20 milers before Goofy. We never do the whole 26! We also modify our typical 30/30 RWR intervals to 15/30 after we go over 13 miles in training.
Last year’s marathon took about 6:10 with three stops. This year will probably take longer. And, of course, like I say every year THIS WILL BE MY LAST MARATHON!🤣

I have used all flavors of plans in the past but after using his plans the last two years for MW, I expect I will use a @DopeyBadger plan again this year.

After training year-round the last two years, I decided to ease off a bit this spring and not officially train for anything. To keep engaged I'm trying a power-based "base build" from Stryd to see if I like it. That's scheduled to end in late July so I will figure something out to bridge me before I start officially training for Goofy again in September.

I will be exactly 5 weeks away from 70 when I pick up my Goofy medal in 2025. I definitely understand the aches and pains in feet, Achilles, knees, and hips! So my training plan is a modified RWR Galloway plan. DH had a Master Fitness Instructor certification in the military, and together we have a 4-day plan (instead of Galloway’s 3-day) with back-to-backs every weekend, MWFSat.
Maintenance weeks include M, F: 2.5 -4.5 miles and W,Sat: 6.5 miles. We include exercise classes M & Th taught by a retired head football coach and weight training teacher who taught with me at our high school. He incorporates strength, flexibility, and balance.
We will ramp up our Saturday long runs, in August per Galloway’s Goofy plan August 10, when our Saturday run goes up to 7 and starts building. W&D weekend hits just before our scheduled 20 miler, so we will do 22.4 over three days, then modify the weekend timing some to do 2 “real” 20 milers before Goofy. We never do the whole 26! We also modify our typical 30/30 RWR intervals to 15/30 after we go over 13 miles in training.
Last year’s marathon took about 6:10 with three stops. This year will probably take longer. And, of course, like I say every year THIS WILL BE MY LAST MARATHON!🤣
Curious. I Personally struggle taking days off due to soreness and tightness when returning to running. Do you experience the same thing? Or good to go?

I do the McMoron plan - I over eat, under train and over complain.

Currently I am trying to do 35,000 steps per day (NASA has a yearly Moves challenge for a month in April), but I am having trouble running. I don't know if it is depression, or something is wrong, but I am having a huge struggle running and I was running 9 minute/miles a year ago.

Curious. I Personally struggle taking days off due to soreness and tightness when returning to running. Do you experience the same thing? Or good to go?
The first two miles are tough whether I skip a day or am running back to back days. But I feel like the rest and recovery are necessary at my age. Everything takes much longer to heal than it used to, whether it’s muscle fibers, arthritic joints, or plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis. I try to stretch lightly each day to help with the tightness and start out all runs slowly until I get warmed up. Stretching before every run would probably help, but once I’m out there, I usually just get started. I also am a slow runner. Ten years ago could do 10-10.5 min/mile, now 11.5-13.5 depending on distance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter