Marathon Weekend 2025

I just did Hansons for a spring marathon and took over 10 minutes off, missed my BQ by 1 minute and 3 seconds (not like I would have gotten in, but at least I could have crossed it off my list). I enjoyed it, mostly because I was frustrated at work and it forced me to do self care by going out for daily runs. I thought 6 days a week would be too much, but I found I was more motivated without off days. The long tempo runs at end felt very long for a weeknight. My husband really stepped up so I could get the runs in.
I’m trying The Planted Runner for an off-season plan now. It’s ok, but I’m not feeling very inspired. I’ve thought about trying Kim Miller or Track Club Babe to incorporate more strength than I got from Hansons. I’m also thinking about finding a marathon- specific nutritionist. I was pretty dizzy and couldn’t focus the last 2 miles of the March marathon, despite having Maurten or blocks every 30 min. I dealt with some pretty intense stomach cramping for 2 days after.

Is that a typo? How do you manage 35k steps per day?
lots of walking. i literally am sad so i have no motivation to run, but i have motivation enough to get steps in so it takes me hours.

i start at midnight each day and get 10,000 steps, about 5 miles.

i then do like steps in place while showering so i get 500 more. then i do lots of walking during the day till 5pm. at 5pm i do a 6 mile walk, jog if i can. and so im usually at 30,000 by 8pm and i walk around the house to get to 35,000 and usually try for 40,000. But they cap us at 35000 per day.

i clearly have mental issues. im tied with 12 people for the top spot. note others do biking, weight lifting , etc and those get converted to steps but i do pure steps.

Last edited:

SAFD: I have used the Higdon Intermediate plans for the last several years. It has worked for me in terms of getting to the finish line in decent shape but I haven't seen any improvement in my pace. I keep saying I will try something different, really work on getting faster, but then I get "lazy" and I'm just happy to get the miles in.
The past two years I have had fall marathons (Chicago 2022, Berlin 2023) but this year I don't have anything on the calendar so I will probably start ramping up miles in early September. When I'm not training for something specific, I typically keep up a base of 4 runs a week, with 3 of them being 5-7 miles and the long run around 10miles.

lots of walking. i literally am sad so i have no motivation to run, but i have motivation enough to get steps in so it takes me hours.

i start at midnight each day and get 10,000 steps, about 5 miles.

i then do like steps in place while show9so get 500 more. then i do lots of walking during the day till 5pm. at 5pm i do a 6 mile walk, jog if i can. and so im usually at 30,000 by 8pm and i walk around the house to get to 35,000 and usually try for 40,000. But they cap us at 35000 per day.

i clearly have mental issues. im tied with 12 people for the top spot. note others do biking, weight lifting , etc and those get converted to steps but i do pure steps.
That is intense!

I did a 17-mile run, did two mile-long walks with my dog, mowed my lawn and did some chores around the house (laundry, vacuum, etc.) yesterday and didn't even get to 33,000 steps. I can't imagine getting 35,000/day!

SAFD
My first marathon saw me using the Galloway plan straight off rD website. After that I modified days and miles from that plan for a couple years.
Now I run 5 days/week (10 miles Mondays, 5 on Wed-Sat) and get occasional breaks on vacations where I might run 2-3 times.
With that year round, when a race is coming up I just add miles on Monday depending on how long I want to go and pick one of the five milers for a speed day.
For Dopey I just fit in a couple back to back to back to back 5/5/10/20 runs after Wine and Dine usually around Thanksgiving and Xmas
With actively trying to improve and make Boston (something I said I’d “never” do) I am probably going to look for an actual advanced runner plan.

SAFD: I have done a variety of plans that I found online, but I've had the most luck in working with a running coach from the Marathon Training Academy podcast. For my first marathon, I merged a couple of plans and I finished the 26.2, but I was so exhausted that I don't think I had the nutrition right. Even after my long runs I was so tired, I couldn't do anything the rest of the day. I'm planning on working with a coach again to get the nutrition dialed in, so hopefully this marathon training cycle will be better!

I normally run 3 days a week (easy 4 mile run on Tuesday, speed work Thursday, and long run on Saturday). I do cross-training in the form of Camp Gladiator or strength work and/or cycling MWF, and then a long walk on Sunday.

Right now I actually haven't been able to run, only walk. I had a baby about a year ago and I was successfully able to run a half marathon in December. When I reduced the number of times I nursed my baby, I started having some thyroid issues and it is still not where it should be. Over the past several weeks my heart rate was about 20bpm higher than normal, so my doctor told me to stop running/cardio until my thyroid is back in check. I'm trying not to worry that I'll lose my base and be screwed for MW, but if all else fails I can walk really fast...🤷‍♀️

@Z-Knight I'm sorry things have been so hard! I'm glad you're in therapy, even if it doesn't seem like it's helping a lot. I know this is way easier said than done, but try to be kind and patient with yourself. I'm recovering from postpartum anxiety and therapy + meds are finally helping, but it has taken a long time. Practicing self-compassion is so hard but important.

SAFD: 2024 was my first Dopey/marathon and I used the rD Galloway plan they had on the website, it was fine, but looking at other plans like Higdon for Goofy in 2025 and modifying it to fit my needs. I plan on kickstarting my training in July so in the meantime, I am just running to keep a base, but not stuck to a schedule at the moment.

I will be exactly 5 weeks away from 70 when I pick up my Goofy medal in 2025. I definitely understand the aches and pains in feet, Achilles, knees, and hips! So my training plan is a modified RWR Galloway plan. DH had a Master Fitness Instructor certification in the military, and together we have a 4-day plan (instead of Galloway’s 3-day) with back-to-backs every weekend, MWFSat.
Maintenance weeks include M, F: 2.5 -4.5 miles and W,Sat: 6.5 miles. We include exercise classes M & Th taught by a retired head football coach and weight training teacher who taught with me at our high school. He incorporates strength, flexibility, and balance.
We will ramp up our Saturday long runs, in August per Galloway’s Goofy plan August 10, when our Saturday run goes up to 7 and starts building. W&D weekend hits just before our scheduled 20 miler, so we will do 22.4 over three days, then modify the weekend timing some to do 2 “real” 20 milers before Goofy. We never do the whole 26! We also modify our typical 30/30 RWR intervals to 15/30 after we go over 13 miles in training.
Last year’s marathon took about 6:10 with three stops. This year will probably take longer. And, of course, like I say every year THIS WILL BE MY LAST MARATHON!🤣
I am taking notes! These are such helpful tips for mitigating injury and just the quirks and pains of an aging body, which are rapidly setting upon me.

I’m also thinking about finding a marathon- specific nutritionist.
A good friend of mind is an excellent nutritionist who wrote this book: https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Athlete-Nutrition-Plant-Based-Performance/dp/1578269040

She's Atlanta-based but works with people all over the world. DM if you want me to put you in touch with her!

SAFD:
My first Dopey was in 2020 and that was also my first Disney race AND my first marathon. I used the Galloway training plan and was very happy with the results. I've now used the same plan for 3 more Dopey races and plan on using it this next year as well, with training starting end of June / first of July.

I stick very closely to the training plan, only missing a long run when I have a substitute activity scheduled instead. The past two years, that meant no 15 mile training run, as I hiked Rim2Rim in the Grand Canyon instead. :)

That first year, in 2020, I had also planned to do run/walk during the actual races, but since I stop for all the characters (except the first one in each race, lol) and most of the water stops, I decided that was enough starting and stopping and I've ended up running everything else.

Over the years, I've done all sorts of training plans. The ones I like best are @DopeyBadger and Higdon. Right now I'm not really training for anything specific, just trying to improve my cardio fitness and get a little faster, so I'm using parts of old plans. I'm having a hard time sticking to the plan and being consistent at the moment though so anything I do I consider a win.

Summer is always awful for me. I hate the heat and easy runs are torture let alone speed or tempo or anything fancy. I'm just going to do my best to get in 3-4 days of something through September and then figure out a plan to get me to the half.

@Z-Knight I'm so sorry you're struggling right now with mental health. I've been depressed most of my adult life (and probably earlier than that but I didn't know it). The only thing that's helped me is meds. I hope you find something that works for you!

SAFD: I haven't trained for many races yet so I've enjoyed reading about everyone's training plans! For my 5k and half, I used a Dopey Badger training plan. I met my goal for the 5k but had stomach issues for the half, but I still finished which was my goal. I'm doing the Disney marathon next year and have been researching different plans. So far I'm leaning toward the Nike Run Club app since I can follow it on my phone, but would probably add more time on the recovery runs. I am a slow runner, so whatever plan I use it'll have to be based on cumulative fatigue because I don't have enough time during the week to run high mileage.

Last edited:
I managed to book a hotel for MW weekend. Staying at Boardwalk Inn. Check in Thursday and planning to check out on Tuesday. I am hoping we can stay for DATW on Monday.

SAFD: Training, well right now am happy that i am walking normal except for going down slopes. I am still hoping maybe i get to start running in may. The dr did give me a training plan. He said when i start i get to start with 3 miles per week. Meaning 1 mile 3 times a week and no back to back. Then he said i could start doing a Long Run day and that would be 1.5 miles. I hope i can do a have for W&D and glad i am only signed up for the 10k for MW. Cross training has been terrible. i have a major system upgrade this coming weekend and mom is giving me all kinds of problems. Stress is high, sleep is low, exercise is not even happening.

That is intense!

I did a 17-mile run, did two mile-long walks with my dog, mowed my lawn and did some chores around the house (laundry, vacuum, etc.) yesterday and didn't even get to 33,000 steps. I can't imagine getting 35,000/day!
yeah, this equates to 17 to 20 miles per day. it takes me all day of moving because my running endurance is shot right now. The challenge is only 4 weeks though, once per year.

I've done this for 2 years now and I've either been #1 or tied for top spot. other people get steps by converting other activites to steps so in pure steps i probably beat everyone. i usually end up with about 1 million steps and 500+ miles in that 4 weeks.

its a challenge ,like Dopey, which is why I'm going for Dopey #10 - clearly I have mental issues (as we know) or I'm just a masochist. Unlike Dopey though, there is no medal, no award, just self gratification that i "won"....but dang this year is super hard because running is difficult right now with the horrible conditioning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter