March 2016 Rental Car Discount ~ Promo Code ~ Rate Watch

vacation_junkie

Have Suitcase...will Travel :)
I didn't see a March Threat yet after scrolling through.
(If I missed it ~ Moderators please feel free to merge them. )

Lets help each other get some fantastic Rental rates !!!

Post away

:car:

I'm in!!!! I'm travelling mid March and don't really NEED a car but it would be nice to have one, even if it's just 3 or 4 days. Last March I paid more than I've ever paid for a rental and it actually was a decent deal compared to what others here were paying.

Right now I have a compact booked with Dollar, for pick up at the Wyndham, for 3 days at a grand total of $88.

I'm looking for late feb to early march car rental discounts too. Will be picking up at SFB airport

I'm in!!!! I'm travelling mid March and don't really NEED a car but it would be nice to have one, even if it's just 3 or 4 days. Last March I paid more than I've ever paid for a rental and it actually was a decent deal compared to what others here were paying.

Right now I have a compact booked with Dollar, for pick up at the Wyndham, for 3 days at a grand total of $88.

That's not a bad rate at all. Did you use a discount code?

Cheapest I found was
Avis with AWD #U915590
Compact car
March 15-22 $233 Grand total

YIKES !!!

Going for Spring Break - 3/12 thru 3/19. Have 2 options booked now thru Alamo - Flying into Jacksonville 11th p/u at 11:30 pm and dropping off Orlando on the 19th. Minivan - 318.76 - used 7016427 (Brazil Vegas). The other is pick up at MCO on the 12th and drop off the 19th at MCO - Minivan 274.38 used same code.

The other people that are flying haven't gotten their tickets yet, so those are the 2 options that I have until they book.

Going for Spring Break - 3/12 thru 3/19. Have 2 options booked now thru Alamo - Flying into Jacksonville 11th p/u at 11:30 pm and dropping off Orlando on the 19th. Minivan - 318.76 - used 7016427 (Brazil Vegas). The other is pick up at MCO on the 12th and drop off the 19th at MCO - Minivan 274.38 used same code.

The other people that are flying haven't gotten their tickets yet, so those are the 2 options that I have until they book.

7016427 (Brazil Vegas). Where did you find this code? Do you need to bring a coupon or anything for it to the counter when you pick your car up?

I snagged some really good airfare (on American) for 3/9-3/15. Took a peek at car rates and, as I expected, they are sky high this far out...not even going to bother putting a hold on anything yet. It's way, way too early to bother with frequent checking unless some unusual special comes out.

For those of you that are new to the car rental game (and yes, it's a game), a few pieces of advice:

- Car rental rates can be more volatile than airfares, especially close to your arrival
- Never, ever do any kind of prepay on car rentals. What you think may be a great rate crumbles as the trip gets closer. Very often, the best rates are found within the last 3 weeks before your arrival date.
- Since its still mid-October, I wouldn't bother with putting a non-binding hold on something, but around the end of the year, it would be a good idea to do that. Rates will likely still be high for March, but you'll have a worst-case scenario. Non-binding reservations at the major rental agencies do not require and will not ask for a credit card during the reservation process.
- If you have an idea of what agency you would like to use, it wouldn't hurt to sign up for their frequent rental program (Alamo Insiders, National Emerald Club, etc.). They're usually free, sometimes will have discounts and often make the process of picking up the car easier. For example, if you're an Insider at Alamo and do an online checkin from home before departure, you can skip the counter, skip the kiosk, skip the garage desk and just go out and pick a car. Very easy.
- Some rental agencies in Orlando (MCO) are in/at the terminal and some are offsite and require taking a shuttle to an offsite location. Sometimes the offsite agencies are a little cheaper, but the onsite much more convenient. Personally, my opinion is to wait for the onsite agencies to get competitive and not deal with the shuttles.
- Speaking of onsite agencies, I'm referring to Alamo, Avis, Hertz, National, Dollar, Budget, Firefly, Thrifty, Enterprise, Advantage and E-Z-Rent a car. There may be more; those are the ones I can think of. I've seen less than stellar reviews for Advantage and E-Z, but I'm sure many do fine with them, since they're still in business. You will find that a good portion of folks on this board rent from Alamo. Usually their rates are fairly competitive and pickup is very easy.
- If you're staying onsite at Disney, perhaps you don't need a car for your entire stay. You could use Magic Express either or both directions between Disney and MCO. Alamo/National has a rental location at the Swan/Dolphin and the Car Care Center (located on the exit road out of Magic Kingdom). If you rent at the Car Care Center, they will pick you up anywhere on property if you let them know the day before and their shuttle will drop you off after you return the rental. Also, there is no reason you couldn't pick up the car at Disney, then return it to MCO, or the reverse. Rates are not necessarily the same renting from those locations. Plug the numbers in and see what you get.
- There are also a few agencies on Disney property at non-Disney hotels. For example, Budget is at the Doubletree ,Dollar is at the Wyndham and I think Avis is at the Hilton. Some have obtained really good rates at these locations. (You can get to them by taking a Disney bus to Disney Springs, or a dedicated bus that does the Disney Springs hotels loop).
- You're going to see codes posted here and elsewhere for discounts. The agencies at MCO are usually pretty lax about accepting them, but that could change at any time. My opinion, and thats all it is, is that you should be able to document any code that you use. For example, if you're using a Costco discount, I would say you should be a Costco member. I already see something called a Brazil Vegas code listed (7016427 at Alamo). I would bet that was discovered by someone transposing two digits in the Costco code (7014627).
- I do emphasize that more important than finding the right code is finding the right time to book. That tends to be much closer to March than we are now.

I've gone on long enough...let's hope for some good rates once the year changes!

I snagged some really good airfare (on American) for 3/9-3/15. Took a peek at car rates and, as I expected, they are sky high this far out...not even going to bother putting a hold on anything yet. It's way, way too early to bother with frequent checking unless some unusual special comes out.

For those of you that are new to the car rental game (and yes, it's a game), a few pieces of advice:

- Car rental rates can be more volatile than airfares, especially close to your arrival
- Never, ever do any kind of prepay on car rentals. What you think may be a great rate crumbles as the trip gets closer. Very often, the best rates are found within the last 3 weeks before your arrival date.
- Since its still mid-October, I wouldn't bother with putting a non-binding hold on something, but around the end of the year, it would be a good idea to do that. Rates will likely still be high for March, but you'll have a worst-case scenario. Non-binding reservations at the major rental agencies do not require and will not ask for a credit card during the reservation process.
- If you have an idea of what agency you would like to use, it wouldn't hurt to sign up for their frequent rental program (Alamo Insiders, National Emerald Club, etc.). They're usually free, sometimes will have discounts and often make the process of picking up the car easier. For example, if you're an Insider at Alamo and do an online checkin from home before departure, you can skip the counter, skip the kiosk, skip the garage desk and just go out and pick a car. Very easy.
- Some rental agencies in Orlando (MCO) are in/at the terminal and some are offsite and require taking a shuttle to an offsite location. Sometimes the offsite agencies are a little cheaper, but the onsite much more convenient. Personally, my opinion is to wait for the onsite agencies to get competitive and not deal with the shuttles.
- Speaking of onsite agencies, I'm referring to Alamo, Avis, Hertz, National, Dollar, Budget, Firefly, Thrifty, Enterprise, Advantage and E-Z-Rent a car. There may be more; those are the ones I can think of. I've seen less than stellar reviews for Advantage and E-Z, but I'm sure many do fine with them, since they're still in business. You will find that a good portion of folks on this board rent from Alamo. Usually their rates are fairly competitive and pickup is very easy.
- If you're staying onsite at Disney, perhaps you don't need a car for your entire stay. You could use Magic Express either or both directions between Disney and MCO. Alamo/National has a rental location at the Swan/Dolphin and the Car Care Center (located on the exit road out of Magic Kingdom). If you rent at the Car Care Center, they will pick you up anywhere on property if you let them know the day before and their shuttle will drop you off after you return the rental. Also, there is no reason you couldn't pick up the car at Disney, then return it to MCO, or the reverse. Rates are not necessarily the same renting from those locations. Plug the numbers in and see what you get.
- There are also a few agencies on Disney property at non-Disney hotels. For example, Budget is at the Doubletree ,Dollar is at the Wyndham and I think Avis is at the Hilton. Some have obtained really good rates at these locations. (You can get to them by taking a Disney bus to Disney Springs, or a dedicated bus that does the Disney Springs hotels loop).
- You're going to see codes posted here and elsewhere for discounts. The agencies at MCO are usually pretty lax about accepting them, but that could change at any time. My opinion, and thats all it is, is that you should be able to document any code that you use. For example, if you're using a Costco discount, I would say you should be a Costco member. I already see something called a Brazil Vegas code listed (7016427 at Alamo). I would bet that was discovered by someone transposing two digits in the Costco code (7014627).
- I do emphasize that more important than finding the right code is finding the right time to book. That tends to be much closer to March than we are now.

I've gone on long enough...let's hope for some good rates once the year changes!

Fantastic post! Great advice!!

Oh, one more thing. I was just looking at a calendar and realized that Easter is in March in 2016. If your travels are anytime from a week or so before Easter to a week after, I would recommend you put a reservation on hold if you have your flight times. Almost guaranteed you'll do better, but Disney is probably near "10" crowd levels during that time. If I was going then, I'd feel better having something in my pocket. Same comment about prepay...just say no.

Oh, one more thing. I was just looking at a calendar and realized that Easter is in March in 2016. If your travels are anytime from a week or so before Easter to a week after, I would recommend you put a reservation on hold if you have your flight times. Almost guaranteed you'll do better, but Disney is probably near "10" crowd levels during that time. If I was going then, I'd feel better having something in my pocket. Same comment about prepay...just say no.

March Break for most folks is the week of March 14th. Then you have Easter the following week.

We actually booked our flights arriving the Tuesday of March break and the flights were crazy cheap. $214 round trip / direct / total per person. I was very surprised!

I had better prices yesterday on Dollar Hot Deals than I had for the same car class last year. Travel dates from Mar 24-Apr 3 inclusive of Easter on the first weekend. Not great, but glad to hold something cheaper than I ever got last year! Got 10 days premium for $304.

I had better prices yesterday on Dollar Hot Deals than I had for the same car class last year. Travel dates from Mar 24-Apr 3 inclusive of Easter on the first weekend. Not great, but glad to hold something cheaper than I ever got last year! Got 10 days premium for $304.

I had great rates with Dollar City Specials when I booked in September for March. Now I have to modify my time and dates due to Daughter and her family coming down. By doing this my rates will at least double ! I'm going to have to sit back and watch every day.

Wow, I can't believe this post was started so long ago and isn't even to page 2 yet! Where are all our March travelers?? :guilty:

Wow, I can't believe this post was started so long ago and isn't even to page 2 yet! Where are all our March travelers?? :guilty:

Yeah, rates are still pretty high.

But you're right, those of us going in March should probably look around and put a hold on something now. Personally, I'll go for Dollar City Special midsize at $110 base/$162 total for March 9-15. Alamo, which I would prefer, is still well over $200.

The beginning of March is only 50 some days away so its time to at least look once in awhile...maybe not daily yet. And those of you needing non-standard car types (Vans, SUV's, trucks, etc.) really need to start paying attention. And of course, just say no to anything prepay.

Our plans have changed so the car I have reserved probably isn't going to work for us. My DD really needs to get her act together and give me some input as to what she wants to do. I looked at the Dollar city specials yesterday and the dates that I currently have booked come up as $5 cheaper. I'm currently booked for Mar 10-13 picking up at the Wyndham. We only want to be able to do some shopping, go to a couple of offsite restaurants and maybe a day trip to Dunedin for a baseball game.

Checking in - last minute trip to see my parents. National EA is a bust, Advantage seems to have terrible reviews, Hertz even with Disboards ID is $$$, Dollar or Avis seem to be offering the best prices but it remains as unnerving a process as I remember.

Looking for codes, coupons and deals info.

I happen to have in a spreadsheet the car rates that I used for the past several years in March. Most are about 5-6 days in length, meaning weekly rates, and for timing, I always avoided the week before and after Easter, which can affect things:

2016 (so far): March 9-15/Compact/Dollar Total: $160 (City special; booked 1/5/16)
2015: March 19-25/Compact/Alamo $200 (Costco/Entertainment cpn; booked 10/10/14)
2014: March 14-19/Compact/Dollar $100 (Silver Dollar; booked 3/8/14)
2013: March 8-13/Compact/Alamo $114 (Costco/Entertainment; booked 3/1/13)
2012: March 17-21/Compact/Alamo $78 (Costco; booked 3/12/12)
2011: March 3-8/Standard/Alamo $144 (Costco/Alamo promo; booked 2/16/11)

A few observations:
- Last year rates just didn't go down for March; don't know why...but it was very unusual. We went back in September and paid only $75 at Alamo for a bigger car for 5 days.
- Have already done better this year than last year at Dollar. For some reason, Dollar's rates are at least reasonable right now. Alamo and Budget are sky-high.
- Note that most years, with 2015 being a major exception, I was able to get the best rates within 3 weeks of travel, often about a week out.
- I generally prefer Alamo if the rate is reasonable. On some of the Alamo years above, its possible that I had a slightly lower rate (maybe $20 at most) at other agencies, but picked Alamo anyway.
- Because 2015 was so unusual, I would encourage you to put a hold on something now, even if you don't like the rate. Last year was a bust. Absolutely keep looking though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter