March vs April with little kids

lansa

Earning My Ears
My husband and I decided that we would take our girls (6, 4 and 1) to Disney over spring break (arrive March 22). Now I'm starting to worry that it will be so crowded that we won't enjoy it. We went three years ago at the end of April and it was great, not crowded at all. I'd like to go the week of April 12, but we'd have to take our oldest out of school. She's only in kindergarten so it wouldn't be a big deal, but it is discouraged. So how bad will it be over spring break? How much better would it be to wait?

I would take the kids out of school over being in those crowds any day. Yes they are open later and have more shows. However, the lines are so much longer that you have to stay twice as long to do half the rides. We went last year one week before our official school vacation and even that was too much for me. When I go again, I will take my kids out of school and enjoy every minute.

We went April 2013 and I said never again will be go that close to summer. Silly us went May 2014 and again...horrible! It was way too hot for us. So I would go in March. :)

FWIW, Touring Plans has March 22nd-29th with resort wide crowd levels between 7-9 (7s the first 3 or 4 days, then a few nines, then an 8).

April 12-19th's predicted range is 4 (1 day) - 6 (most days).

We went in mid-march in 2013 and we actually found it was a lot colder than we expected. We actually had to bundle DD up a lot on that trip (she was 8 months old at the time).

I would think April, weather wise, would be a nice compromise between March (which can be dicey - cold or warm) and May/June (which just get hot).

With a kid in K, and it being April (not like the first few weeks of school or something), if you are comfortable with it there is nothing wrong with taking her out of school. Just be aware of your school's absence policies, whether or not she can make up any work or if she can substitute maybe a show and tell thing or something, that kind of thing. Talk to the teachers before your trip just so you know what to expect upon return (not asking permission, just so you know what's happening).

The only thing that would make me rethink that is if it is a testing week for the school..I know they have started to do standardized testing with K in some places, not sure about in yours. Making up standardized testing is a pain, so if it were a testing week I'd likely choose not to miss it, but otherwise as long as you're informed and OK with the absence policy, there's no reason not to go then.

It will be CRAZY busy, so many spring breaks as well as our local spring break that week...we live next to Disney. Personally I would choose another time to go, you would have a much better time. I would not go anywhere near the parks between March 20-April 13.

We took our kids spring break 2012 when I was pregnant with #4. My 3 were 2,4 and 6 and we took my sister to help. Weather was great, but it was insanely busy! I can't imagine not having a 3rd adult with kids that young and crowds that crazy. Never again! Our trip before that was in May of 2010 and it was beautiful to see the flower and garden festival and so much more relaxed without the mobs of people. I'd take a Kindergartener out of school in a heartbeat, but I'm taking mine all out for 3 days to go next October.

There are some schools in CT that have spring break that week. Ours is the week before.

I went once during easter week and I said never again will I go a holiday week/spring break included...unless someone else is paying!

Plus for me April is still to cold. Yes I am a wimp. When I go to FL I only want to wear shorts, no long pants, no light coats and I noticed the past 2 yrs we stopped in disney on our way home in April it was chilly compared to the ft. Myers area.

I think because of where Easter is this year, a lot of schools have their spring break the first week of April/last week of March.

So, you might be ok in that many spring breaks will already be over.

We often go in April (not our spring break week) and it used to be one of my favorite times to go (after February), but it does seem to be busier every year (although we skipped last year).

Flower and Garden at EPCOT is nice, though!

We did May last year 1st week and it was perfect but hot. We will be doing mid April this year since the crowds will be smaller and weather should be decent! Doesn't matter though.. Disney is perfect even in the rain!! :)

My husband and I decided that we would take our girls (6, 4 and 1) to Disney over spring break (arrive March 22). Now I'm starting to worry that it will be so crowded that we won't enjoy it. We went three years ago at the end of April and it was great, not crowded at all. I'd like to go the week of April 12, but we'd have to take our oldest out of school. She's only in kindergarten so it wouldn't be a big deal, but it is discouraged. So how bad will it be over spring break? How much better would it be to wait?

April would be our choice. Lower crowd levels and the warmer weather are definitely a better choice with young kids. From our experience, the pool will be just as important as everything else and the better weather is a plus. I would never deal with holiday/vacation crowds given a choice.

For planning, shorter lines...better ADR availability....better chance at getting the FP you want and overall less people in the parks in April. If you go spring break, will you be able to be up and at the parks at rope drop? That is about the only way to help with the high crowds. With a 1 year old, that would be tough I am guessing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter