Marine mammal keeper review

diswedwish

DIS Veteran
Today was the day I did this! I'm going to post little by little. Want to do this now so I don't forget things...

Overall I'm glad I did this. There were parts I didn't like, but that's just my own opinion/experience.

We're (my mom and I) staying at POFQ, and didn't rent a car. I had Sam from Tiffany Towncars pick me up at 5:50am. Got to see the Marathon runners in the sleet. Did I mention it was freezing today? Arrived at 6:05 - 25 minutes early! Oops, lol. I waited in the security building until my guide showed up. We waited a bit for the other woman on the tour, but she never showed.

Out we went in the sleet to go feed some manatees in the back area! I got to open 2 boxes of lettuce and stuff some in this pole thingy so they could feed off the bottom. I was told a bit about manatees in the wild, how cold is hard for them, etc.

Next up were the otters:) it still wasn't light yet, and there weren't lights inside the pens, gradually it
lightened up enough to see. I loved them! Very cute and playful
and squeaky.

To be continued...

I am very much looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks for posting!

I can't wait to read the rest of your report on this! We (my fiancee and I) are actually doing this one week from today so I'll report back as well. I am curious to hear what you didn't like about it. Is there anything you think we should know in advance about this experience?

Thanks and looking forward to your other comments!

The brief review of what I liked/didn't like... I loved the animal interactions and most of the keepers. I thought (again just my opinion) that my guide was a dud. If you're going with someone you'll have another person to interact with. I didn't. Trust me, I'm social, I work with many types of people and can basically talk to anyone and feel comfortable. Not so with him. There were many long awkward silences (especially lunch). Granted I didn't pay to have a social butterfly for the day, but it's a lot of $ for that... The other keepers (including another who seems like he sometimes leads the tour) were great! My guide also mentioned a few times that it was time he got out of this business, etc. So the could be why he wasn't enthusiastic that day - plus it was cold and sleeting. But I've never run into that with a guided tour before. I would recommend the tour and most likely your guide experience will be better. And in the end it's the animal interaction you pay for.

On to something positive...
After the otters, I can't remember the exact sequence, but I got to see the sea turtles that had been moved to the back pools because of the cold. They can control the temps of those pools better than in the park. This was just a walk through. I also saw a python they were moving from one side of her cage to the next since she wasn't over the heated coils. Again, looking only. I thought both were neat to see!

I think this is where I changed - long golf cart ride to the other end of the park. I asked and was given a brief synopsis of my guide's jobs with animals. I got a long wet suit and booties (brought some but was able to use theirs instead). I kept my jacket on - lol! It was still raining, but better than sleet.

Up next - dolphin netting

On the way back from changing into a truly stunning outfit;) we stopped at one of the employee's lounges for hot chocolate. I promptly spilled some on my jacket - if you're a klutz, never attempt drinking anything in a moving golf cart... Once back at the back pool he explained that one of the dolphins needed to be tube fed her medicine. The back pool can be drained fairly quickly, and once that's done and the water is standing depth about 10 keepers go in, net the dolphin, wrap her in this foam thingy and tube feed. She managed to knock one of the keepers over jumping the net (didn't envy that girl, it was cold!!!). It was done quickly. I don't like seeing anything be tube fed, but it was interesting.

Then it was off to Key West for some dolphin play time!

Now it was play time! We joined up with one of the dolphin keepers, went into a shed, and picked up a slinky, ball, and a car that had flashing lights and moved once you turned it on. We went to the underwater viewing area and had play time. They seemed to like the car the best - a bunch would come up and watch. They'd play "catch" through the glass with me and seemed intrigued by the slinky. For this part I had a photographer with me. I'll post pictures once I'm home. We went up top, but the water level wasn't high enough yet to do the poolside training. So off we went to the manatees!

Have to add that most of the day the weather was awful - sleet to start, then cold rain until the later part of the day. When I was with the animals it was easy to ignore, but brrrrr. I can't imagine being at Discovery Cove that day!!!

The photographer trailed along and we went to the manatee exhibit. I opened a crate of spinach leaves and we went into the top part of the exhibit and sat on the rocks to throw spinach in. It was neat to be that close to see their faces. I got to sit and watch for a bit, then he took me to the underwater viewing area and pointed out some parts of the exhibit. I didn't realize there was more than one type of manatee.

By the end of this session the water level was high enough in the dolphin pool. I was with the same dolphin keeper as before. Most of this was similar to what I'd done at Dolphins in Depth and at Discovery Cove. This was neat because it was one on one. So a few signals and some dolphin rub downs.
From what I heard the keepers rotate animals every so often unless they form a strong attachment with one.

Next - Wild Arctic:)

The next part of the day was my favorite!!! Took the golf cart back to Wild Arctic - the keepers there were very nice; and I had a new photographer (will post pictures in a few days). We went in with their 4 belugas:goodvibes. Whenever I had animal interactions (except the manatees) my guide would not be there - just the regular keepers. They're keeping the belugas in the back while they do work on their regular enclosure. There were 2 trainers per beluga, and I went with one of them. What they planned to do was switch belugas every so often; if one didn't do as they asked, we were to step back (no reinforcement). We'd also give them a break (recess) every few minutes. I ended up working with 1 whale for most of the time. I got to do rub downs, give a few signals, do some staged kisses and hugs. All of it was fun - I liked the belugas very much; their personalities are different than the dolphins (although I loved them too!).

After a bit, we stepped out of the room because one of the whales needed a no reinforcement time out. So they took me over to see the harbour seals and the harp seal. They told me that I'd probably never get the chance to even see a harp seal again - they got Wiley because he was on the Maine coast (really far south for him) and he was attacked by a coyote (hence, Wiley lol!). They got him and have been working with him. 2 of the keepers took the harbour seals, and I stayed with the harp seal. I had to be quiet and approach with care since he spooks easily. I did get to touch him with 2 fingers, then with 3, then whole hand. Very cool. His trainer told him to go back to the water and he looked up at me with his great big eyes like "what? you're not giving me fish too???".

Then we went back to the belugas for some more feeding/kisses, etc. Too short! I wonder what the difference between the interaction here and the beluga interaction program is?

I got a much needed shower and went to that really loooong awkward lunch. I told my guide what I wanted at the beginning of the day (3 or 4 choices of sandwich I think) and it was waiting for me at the cafeteria. I was allowed to get coffee/hot cocoa/ice tea, but no sodas - I suppose I could've if I paid the $.80. The lunch was fine - grilled chicken on a croissant, canned fruit salad, potato salad, a humongous cookie and large rice krispie treat. I gave some of it away since it was just so much! My guide showed me where to sit, and went to get his lunch. There was another older man at the other end of the table, said he worked in security. Then the guide came back and didn't talk - I didn't know what to ask at this point and he seemed disinclined to talk. Which made for a long lunch. Another keeper about the same age as my guide (older) sat down and started asking me questions about how I liked the day, etc. He asked if my guide had told me this story or that story and proceeded to tell the stories - he seemed very nice.

We weren't expected at the sea lions until later, and after more minutes of silence, my guide decided to walk through different parts of the park (yay! lol). We went over to the dolphin nursery - he did talk a lot there about the baby that had just been born, and 2 males who were kept there because they "misbehaved" in Key West. Twice. I think they bit people (oops) - not seriously, but... So they're confined there for the duration. I asked about the Manta aquarium so we went there and one of the leafy sea dragon keepers was there. He was very nice and informative. He said that he just got a few from Australia last year - I asked the price tag - $6000. I can only imagine what some of the other fish in there or the rays cost!!! We ducked behind the penguin exhibit - not inside, no touching, just into the windows behind the building and saw a few babies. We also walked through the normal penguin exhibit. As I mentioned a few (several!) times that it was cold. My mom and I visited SW in Jan. before and it wasn't crowded. Today there were more workers than people! Truly empty...

Then it was sea lion time! We went in the building and they were transferring some of the older ones into the back pools. A few had really bad eyesight, and one couldn't use her back flippers properly (or something like that). She was young though. I got to touch one of these guys. Then it was upstairs to the outside for some feeding:). They rely on the public to do most of the base feeding when they buy the fish. But because the park was empty they'd barely sold any fish. So we got to feed them a big lunch. I like the sea lions because they bark/beg to be fed and remind me of my parents' cat - the louder I scream, the more I get mentality. I had a huge bucket (or two) and by the time I was done couldn't feel my fingers... Lots of fun other than that!

Then it was back to Wild Arctic:) and the polar bears! This keeper was also very nice and informative. We went into the back area (behind glass/steel mesh obviously) and watched one of them. There was a polar bear pelt that they'd confiscated to touch. I think this is where I learned the most - and it was neat to see a polar bear relatively close.

Last stop was the walrus. Again, behind elephant bars - protected contact. They fed them and explained a lot about them. At the end I got to put my fist up to be "kissed" by both of them. Again, something I'd never get to do other than this!

On the golf cart ride back I had to remind my guide (he'd asked me to remind him) to get my SW t-shirt and DVD. I didn't ask about the 7-day pass since I didn't intend to use it. It might be like Discovery Cove where you show your confirmation letter to get the ticket, I'm not sure. He walked me to the area where you could buy your pictures and said goodbye. That's it, no handshake, no "hope you enjoyed the tour", nothing. Very different than any other tour I've been on.

I did buy the pictures on a CD for $40 - not too bad compared to Disney's photopass CD. I walked around the park briefly. I'd hoped to go on Manta and Kraken, but both were closed because of the cold. So I walked through the shark exhibit and tried to see Shamu (not out). I called Sam and he said he'd meet me in 15 minutes. Went to the gift shop and bought another sweatshirt since it didn't seem like it would warm up for the rest of my stay and layering is always good...

The car ride back was smooth and comfortable. I forgot my gloves and called him about 30 seconds after he left me at FQ - he promptly turned around for me.

So all in all, it was a good day and I enjoyed the interactions very much. I think it was worth the price ($318) that I paid. I was very happy to return to Disney though. The CMs really truly help your experience, and for me it's what keeps me going back to Disney over a park like SW.

I keep coming back to my guide because I think it's a good thing to be aware of - maybe it was just my experience/expectations. But I've done most of the backstage tours at Disney; the ones involving animals - Backstage Safari and Dolphins in Depth several times. For 2 of the tours I was by myself, so I didn't think anything of going alone for this one. And the customer service for Disney is light years above SW. So the tour was what I expected as far as animal interaction was concerned, but far below what I'd expected as far as a tour guide goes.

Hope this helps anyone interested in the tour:)

Here are some pictures, or a picture to see if it works...
photo.php

Ok, will add pics later when I have more time...

Wow, amazing photos. Thanks so much for posting them. :worship:

Thanks you so much for sharing your experience on the forum! Your posts were really informative and give me a much better feel for the experience than what I've read on the Sea World web site. It's something that my 14 year old would love to do.

I'll have to consider budgeting for it on one of our future vacations. He loved the Junior High Sea World Career Camp overnight career camp that he did in Orlando last summer and will be doing a similar camp at the San Diego Sea World this summer.

20 Trips with # 21 coming up
March 1971 – KOA closest to Disney (camping)
March 1972 – Jellystone Park (camping)
March 1974 – Outdoor Resorts of America (camping)
Dec. 1974 – Outdoor Resorts of American (camping)
March 1975 – Outdoor Resorts of America (camping)
Dec. 1975 – Fort Wilderness (camping)
Dec. 1976 – Fort Wilderness (camping)
Dec. 1977 -- Outdoor Resorts of America (camping)
Dec. 1986 – Marriott Royal Palms (condo by Marriott World Center)
May 1993 – Disney Contemporary (Garden Wing) (hotel)
Dec. 1994 – Polynesian Isles (condo)
May 1999 – Disney Contemporary (Main Building with high floor and Magic Kingdom view) (hotel)
Dec. 2001 – Cypress Pointe (condo)
March 2003 – Sheraton Vistana – Cascades section (condo)
March 2004 – Sheraton Vistana – Cascades section (condo)
Dec. 2004 -- Cypress Pointe (condo)
June 2006 –Tampa relative’s condo
June 2007 – Cypress Point Grandvillas (condo). Disney -- Port Orleans Riverside (hotel), and Sheraton Vistana – Fountains section (condo) – stayed three different places on this trip.
Dec. 2008 – Sheraton Vistana Resort (remodeled Fountains section) (condo)
Oct. 2009 – Hilton Garden Inn Seaworld (hotel)
(Will be going again March 2010 – staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Seaworld again)

I'm glad you liked the photos and glad that the report was helpful:) I remember when I was planning that it was so nice to read reports about this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter