Marriage Equality!

No, the point is if we hadn't allowed gov't into our lives to begin with, there'd have been nothing to debate - and such ceremonies would have happened decades ago instead of now.

I'm not sure there was ever much chance of that, since marriage existed as a civil institution before this country was even founded.

I will say, one thing that has always bugged me about the religious freedom arguments against gay marriage is that they show no acknowledgement that some religious groups wanted to perform gay marriage ceremonies (which I think speaks to your point that the government created a problem that religion might have solved on its own if marriage weren't both religious and civil). The Methodist Church in NC was part of the lawsuit against our state amendment. The religious freedom argument was never about religious freedom, it was about granting one interpretation of religion (not even held by all Christian religious authorities) authority over others. Every religious person in this country should have found that notion objectionable regardless of how they personally feel about gay marriage.

And yet the gov't has denied this right for how long now? That's my point - had the gov't been kept out of defining marriage in the first place, they wouldn't have had the opportunity to define it the way it was.

I get what you're saying in theory, but assigning legal rights to marriage has been happening for centuries. It's not unique to America. There is a benefit (from a practicality standpoint) for some sort of governmental standardization of such a fundamental societal relationship since there are so many other legalities that hinge on it.

Looks like the counties in and around my area are pouting and not issuing marriage licenses today. Just read this breakdown on my local news site:

• Bastrop County: Not issuing. Waiting for recommendation from Attorney General.
  • Blanco County: Not issuing. Waiting for recommendation from Attorney General.
  • Burnet County: Not issuing. Waiting for recommendation from Attorney General.
  • Fayette County: Not issuing. Waiting for recommendation from Attorney General.
  • Gillespie County: Not issuing.
  • Hays County: Not issuing. County Clerk says their system is not prepared to handle the change.
  • Lee County: Not issuing. Waiting for recommendation from Attorney General.
  • Llano County: Not issuing. Waiting for recommendation from Attorney General.
  • Mason County: No response yet.
  • Travis County: Started issuing licenses at 10:30 a.m. on Friday.
  • Williamson County: Not issuing. Williamson County Attorney’s Office will review the written opinion issued by the U. S. Supreme Court in order to determine the appropriate course of action to recommend to Williamson County officials.

I'm not sure there was ever much chance of that, since marriage existed as a civil institution before this country was even founded.

I will say, one thing that has always bugged me about the religious freedom arguments against gay marriage is that they show no acknowledgement that some religious groups wanted to perform gay marriage ceremonies (which I think speaks to your point that the government created a problem that religion might have solved on its own if marriage weren't both religious and civil). The Methodist Church in NC was part of the lawsuit against our state amendment. The religious freedom argument was never about religious freedom, it was about granting one interpretation of religion (not even held by all Christian religious authorities) authority over others. Every religious person in this country should have found that notion objectionable regardless of how they personally feel about gay marriage.

Probably true, but it IS a scary lesson about how much we allow the gov't to intrude upon our lives.

After 32 years I can finally marry my partner.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Can we all come? I give really awesome Wedding gifts and I love cake.

Looks like the counties in and around my area are pouting and not issuing marriage licenses today. Just read this breakdown on my local news site:

• Bastrop County: Not issuing. Waiting for recommendation from Attorney General.
  • Fayette County: Not issuing. Waiting for recommendation from Attorney General.
  • Hays County: Not issuing. County Clerk says their system is not prepared to handle the change.
  • Williamson County: Not issuing. Williamson County Attorney’s Office will review the written opinion issued by the U. S. Supreme Court in order to determine the appropriate course of action to recommend to Williamson County officials.

GO TRAVIS COUNTY!!!! I hope that is where you live.

I don't understand-aren't they now legally obligated to allow it? I"m curious to know what is not prepared in the system for Hays County?

We shan't be paying Disney's prices to get married, but we WILL be honeymooning there :) Thanks for the kind words.

If you are at all interested, you should look into weddings at the Swan. That's where we got married-it's right on Disney property (Boardwalk area), very beautiful wedding, & WAAAAY cheaper than going through DFTW :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter