• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marriott recommendations

ajholland

Earning My Ears
We are coming to Disney World for 5 nights from October 20-25, 2020. I am using Marriott points and I am looking for suggestions. Not sure if we will rent a car or Uber around. Park shuttles would be nice as well. Thanks!

I've stayed at many of the off-site Marriott properties around Mouseland. Almost every property will offer a shuttle to/from the parks. Some are free, some charge for it, some have hideous "resort fees".

What floats your boat? Higher-end? Price-centric? Location? Or just looking for a place to flop?

Just off the top of my head:
The SpringHill / TownPlace suites at Palm Parkway are probably my favorite. New, clean, non-damp rooms. Close to the Mouse without being right in the middle of traffic, but you'll have to fight some traffic to get to/from the Mouse, namely Apopka Vineland Rd / Hotel Plaza Blvd / 535 . Plenty of restaurants/shops within a short drive. Does charge parking fees. No resort fees. I have had fees waived in previous visits.

Runner-up: SpringHill/Townplace at Flamingo Crossing. Also newer, clean, and not damp. These are actually on Reedy Creek property, but don't qualify for official Disney Resort benefits. BUT, it's right on Western Way, which is never crowded. Easy in & out of the parks without any traffic. Does NOT charge parking/resort fees. BUT: There's absolutely nothing else around it. Other than the restaurant on-site, you're in the middle of nowhere. Again, it's very close to the parks, potentially faster than staying at some of the on-property hotels, but you're definitely going to have to hunt for groceries/restaurants/shopping.

Good: Marriott Village (Fairfield / Springhill / Courtyard). Older but solid property. Well-maintained, good staff. Stayed here many times and it's very consistent. They have a food court with the usual burgers/fries/sandwiches/salads/pizza/ice cream on-site that's open late and reasonably priced. Courtyard has a small bar. Does charge parking fees, but many rates include it. Walking distance to quite a few restaurants. Traffic on Vineland/Apopka Vineland can be ugly. The Fairfield / Springhill tend to be noisier/crazier due to offering free breakfast. The Courtyard's usually on the quieter side. N.B. If you have Platinum status or higher, breakfast at Courtyard's free and much quieter.

Good: Sheraton Vistana Resort. It's a timeshare, and they did try to get us to attend a timeshare presentation on check-in, but they were respectful about it and understood that no meant NO. Well-maintained, quiet, spacious. MUCH better than a hotel room! Still have to deal with Apopka-Vineland traffic, but it's not quite as bad at this location. Doesn't have a huge amount of benefits for higher-status Marriott members. Check-in and check-out times are fixed, no wiggle room. No parking fees. Sometimes you can get an entire 2-bedroom condo here for a regular room elsewhere.

Not recommended: Courtyard Vista Centre. From the reviews, some people stay here and seem to think it's alright. Being on the road many nights for work, this property's well below the usual Courtyard standards. They just 'remodeled' it, which means tossed paint over the mildew. Hallways are dark, to the point that you wonder if you're walking into an abandoned part of the hotel. Some rooms have outside hallways. Stayed here multiple times and each time was less-than-stellar. Not staying here again. Parking can be a problem and they charge you for it to boot. Often cheaper than the surrounding Marriotts...for a reason. Lower your expectations if you stay here.

Not recommended: Sheraton Vistana Villages -- Condos are worn and tired. Worse: Everything they do is designed to drag you into a 1.5 hr timeshare presentation. And I do mean everything. I had to argue for 5 minutes that I didn't want any part to do with the timeshare sales just to get a parking pass at check-in. Calls to the room, 'housekeeping' knocking at the door, everyone's trying to push the timeshare. No thanks.

I-Drive: Courtyard/Springhill/Residence Inn have treated me well. It's a bit of a hike from Disney, but no shortage of restaurants/shops/grocery stores. Also very close to the Dr. Philips are which has a nice selection of upscale restaurants / shops and away from the tacky tourist traps (and tourists) of I-Drive.

We love the Sheraton Vistana Resort (not villages) and we've never had a hard timeshare sell. They just ask you if you're interested in coupons or learning about what the resort offers and you just say no. I've never had them pursue it with us. I HIGHLY recommend.

We've stayed at the Marriott World timeshare Sabal Palms several times and love it there too. It's actually on Epcot Center Drive, on the other side of I4 and a super easy drive/ride in to WDW property. The Sheraton Vistana and Marriott World are literally back to back, so both are close. I also highly recommend the timeshares here.

@BeachLife great write up. We just stayed at the SpringHill Suites at Flamingo Crossing, what a great setup between SpringHill & TownPlace. Room we had was very comfortable, we at the Flamingo Bar & Grille on site and thought the food (and service) were really good. There is a new Target, Walgreens, Speedway that will be opening across the street, so within a couple of years all the needed services will be very close. Right now the Publix Super Market at Orange Lake Town Center is about 10 minutes away.

We really like the Courtyard at Marriott Village and have stayed a few times. We used Lyft a lot so that does add up, but it wasn’t more than a 15 minute ride anywhere on property and we loved how close it was to Disney Springs (although not walking distance). I’m a Marriott Platinum member so room was upgraded and we found it comfortable and clean. I do recommend against having someone sleep on the sofabed though as it seems most Courtyards have switched to the twin sofa that is not very comfortable. Maybe one small child but not an adult.

Cash rates here are usually pretty good too. I got 5 nights during President’s Day week for $68 per night!

Another vote for Flamingo Crossing. I like how it is tucked away and there is little traffic around it. So easy to enter WDW.

I was there last month and a lot more hotels and apartments are being built nearby, so the sleepy times won't last forever.

Massively huge amount of apartments being built...I think college intern housing . Eventually Marriott Townplace Suites, Spring Hill, Homewood Suites, and Fairfield Inn at this intersection.
Flamingo Crossing / Western Way entrance leads to Coronado Springs Resort direction, and the new Gran Destino Tower, if that helps.

I did not notice any type of shuttle service when I drove around area this week.... does anybody have info?

Good to know, thanks for posting link info.
The last time I stayed at LBV Hilton Disney Springs , making advance reservation for the shuttle was imperative! The shuttle seating is popular but limited.
Be sure to ask before arrival if it is a required need for your vacation.

Does anyone know anything about the new Marriott they are building JW Marriott Orlando Bonnett Creek Resort and Spa? Is it going to have access to the Disney Extra Magic Hours, and 60 day fast pass access?

Does anyone know anything about the new Marriott they are building JW Marriott Orlando Bonnett Creek Resort and Spa? Is it going to have access to the Disney Extra Magic Hours, and 60 day fast pass access?
Nothing is listed either with them or on Disney, yet. I'm not sure they will, as I recall the 7 hotels that offer it now have that arrangement through 2020, I'm not totally sure how that agreement works or if it will continue.

Nothing is listed either with them or on Disney, yet. I'm not sure they will, as I recall the 7 hotels that offer it now have that arrangement through 2020, I'm not totally sure how that agreement works or if it will continue.
Thanks!! I was hoping they would. We were looking on the map and it looks like this new Marriott is going to be very close to the Riviera Resort and across from Typhoon Lagoon so I was kinda hoping they would get the Disney benefits like the Swan and Dolphin. Who knows maybe they will since this new one is not even open yet. We love staying on Disney property but my husband has so many marriott points!!!

Not recommended: Courtyard Vista Centre. From the reviews, some people stay here and seem to think it's alright. Being on the road many nights for work, this property's well below the usual Courtyard standards. They just 'remodeled' it, which means tossed paint over the mildew. Hallways are dark, to the point that you wonder if you're walking into an abandoned part of the hotel. Some rooms have outside hallways. Stayed here multiple times and each time was less-than-stellar. Not staying here again. Parking can be a problem and they charge you for it to boot. Often cheaper than the surrounding Marriotts...for a reason. Lower your expectations if you stay here.
Interesting. We stayed at this hotel on January 2019 and thought it was fine and my wife had no complaints (she's much more picky than I am). I did notice there were 2 different styles of rooms (hotel vs motel) so maybe that is some of the variability in reviews? We had a balcony room in the hotel style section not far from the lobby.

I travel fairly often for work as well so my frame of reference is not small. 2019 was ~50 nights in hotels and 2018 was about the same.

We stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Villages several months ago and found it wonderful. The condo we had was not run down at all and we were never asked (other than at check-in time) to go to any timeshare presentations. I have stayed at many of the other Marriott locations in the area too and found this one to be great.

My first choice would be the Swan or Dolphin, you can use your Marriott points and Disney transportation on site, location is hard to beat. For some great info check out the Walt Disney World SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORTS Information & Questions thread. However, checking for your dates neither has online availability, but you might call Bonvoy direct and check.

I highly suggest the Swan or Dolphin as well. If it isn't available now, make a reservation at another Marriott and then just keep checking the Marriott site.

My first choice would be the Swan or Dolphin, you can use your Marriott points and Disney transportation on site, location is hard to beat. For some great info check out the Walt Disney World SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORTS Information & Questions thread. However, checking for your dates neither has online availability, but you might call Bonvoy direct and check.
I highly suggest the Swan or Dolphin as well. If it isn't available now, make a reservation at another Marriott and then just keep checking the Marriott site.
Only problem with the Swan/Dolphin are that they require twice as many points per night when compared to some of the other options. They're category 6 hotels instead of category 4 like Courtyard/Fairfield/Springhill/etc in the Lake Buena Vista area. For those that are points limited it can be tough to justify that.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/pointsGridPopUp.mi

SpringHill/Townplace at Flamingo Crossing. We stayed at Flamingo Crossing SH, and I'd mostly agree with the review. We only stayed 1 day, and for 1 day, breakfast was good. I read reviews though that said the offerings were the same every day, which was a bit on the limited side. Pool was also boring. It was easy to get to the parks though! good for a night, not my choice for a full week.

Good: Marriott Village (Fairfield / Springhill / Courtyard). I avoided this because of the traffic issues.

Fairfield on South Apopka Rd- WE chose this one instead. It was very good. Only criticism I have is that the coffee was lousy. I ended up walking to nearby 7-11. There are a number of nearby eateries, but they are not exciting; all chains. not far from Disney Springs. Traffic was fine, but not that entrance not super close to the parks. I don't recall the pool, but probably not exciting.

Good: Sheraton Vistana. I'm not sure which Vistana we stayed at, but the room was big, and we had a full kitichen. Pools were boring. Easy to parks, but the place felt very boring. just not at all like I was at WDW. Parking was close to the room.

Residence Inn by Universal - if you were at all considering a stay over by Universal this one is Super! New, great food, very clean attractive, staff was nice, parking convenient, very close to Universal. We drove, but folks walked to US, and they have a shuttle bus.

Marriott World Center - Very Marriott. nice pool, very pretty atrium, has laser show at night, many rooms have view of Epcot fireworks (though at a bit of a distance), Parking is extra, and they are a 'resort' so they don't give you anything extra. The quick serve place has some decent if overpriced options. the pool is a very nice grotto style with hidden hot tub. Set up as a conference hotel, so we skipped all other eateries, and the parking garage is a hike, though there's a shuttle to parking.

Swan/Dolphin - these both charge for parking + resort fee, but you get just about same perks as staying at the BC or Boardwalk. Easy walking to both HS (Great for RotR!) and Epcot, plus the shuttle boats! Breakfast buffet is pricey, but the quick serve in the Dolphin is good w/reasonable prices. BONUS! 20% at eateries if you have AAA. Easy walking to Boardwalk/BC dining and entertainment, plus the World Showcase. The Swan is slightly nicer, but Dolphin is also quite nice.

JW- there's a brand new one in Bonnet Creek in middle of WDW. WE stayed at the one that is more towards Universal (Grande Lakes), is a ways from WDW, and shares grounds with the Ritz-Carlton. Has a super nice pool/lazy river, and gounds were gorgeous! they even have their own farm and farm-to-table dining. If you want to spend time at hotel it was fabulous, but not the best Marriott if you want to spend most of your day in the WDW parks. They also have all kinds of resort activities like golf, and fish feeding. Charges for parking, has some fancy options for dining, but prices at some eateries weren't too bad.

Regarding Fairfield vs. Swan/Dolphin:

I'm happy to stay at a Fairfield for our arrival night, a short budget stay, but if I was cashing in points for a week long stay- I'd favor the Swan/Dolphin.

The hotel amenities just don't compare.

If you want to ride RotR, you have to be in the park at park opening, which is an easy walk from S/D. We walked to HS, got our boarding group then took shuttle boat back to the hotel to eat breakfast. You could not do that at any other Marriott - or even most WDW hotels.

The pools are also vastly superior.

Plus, you get 60FP and EMH- those are significant pluses!

Many rooms also have a fireworks view. And I think S/D still get resort package delivery. (=Anything you buy in parks can be shipped back to your hotel for free if you can wait 24hours.)

I do like free breakfast of Fairfield though. On a budget, that is great.

We really liked Towneplace Suites at Flamingo Crossings. It was our first off site stay and I would absolutely do it again. Breakfast was good each day and it was super close to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter