• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marriott Vacation Club

I had a look at Marriot because they have a timeshare near DLP. I found a resale for less than $1000 for a 2BR for a Gold week, but then made a quick search and found i could rent a Gold week for less than the MF. That sealed the (not) deal for me so I didn't investigate more. I'm not an expert on the system, so there may be more value in different resorts or in the point system. 3BR lockoff seemed a better deal (and resale was in fact higher). For my understanding Marriot has both a point and a week system, but my knowledge doesn't go further than that.

We have friends who own both DVC and Marriott and have stayed at their Marriott in Hilton Head. Way better units than at DVC Hilton Head. JMO.

This is good to know! We are staying at one of the Marriotts in Hilton Head (Marriott Grande Ocean) in September.

I had a look at Marriot because they have a timeshare near DLP. I found a resale for less than $1000 for a 2BR for a Gold week, but then made a quick search and found i could rent a Gold week for less than the MF. That sealed the (not) deal for me so I didn't investigate more. I'm not an expert on the system, so there may be more value in different resorts or in the point system. 3BR lockoff seemed a better deal (and resale was in fact higher). For my understanding Marriot has both a point and a week system, but my knowledge doesn't go further than that.

Which Marriott TS location was this called?

Just throwing another property out there...Orange Lake Resort, a property that backs up to Animal Kingdom, is run by Holiday Inn Club vacations. We have stayed there numerous times and have really enjoyed their 2/3 bedroom units. They have several resorts in the US and the option to trade with RCI or II depending on the season/resort. We also own DVC. Definitely consider resale.

I stayed at most of the Marriotts around Orlando, and they are by far better resorts than DVC. However, just because they are awesome resorts doesn't mean they hold as much value as DVC. Personally, except for staying on-site, getting DVC transportation, FP benefits, etc... I wouldn't have owed DVC, and would just continue staying off-site at the Marriotts, as I enjoy the Marriotts more. However, I see the benefits of 60 days FPs to make trips to the parks more enjoyable, so I suck it up and pay the Disney / DVC premium. But if I am doing any off-parks Disney trips, such as Universal or just relax time at the resort, I book outside of DVC, much cheaper and much nicer.

Having said that, I would not / never buy a Marriott timeshare in Orlando, those are the easiest to trade into for cheap, using a cheap timeshare trader. I own a trader with II and a trader with RCI that doesn't cost much to acquire, trades well, and I feel are fairly easy to give away when the time comes to exit out.

But yeah, research, research, research, which I know you will haven't seen what you done for a DVC purchase. Tugbbs is the best place to learn all things timeshare other than the DVC system.

Edit: As for other points based system, I also own HGVC and Worldmark. I feel those two timeshare systems as well as Wyndham offer the best values. Just don't attend any of their presentations, don't fall for the incentives, don't buy direct, only buy resale, and you will be fine. The only system where buying direct "might" make sense is DVC.

Great3

Noticed you mentioned Disneyland. I have stayed at the Marriott Newport Coast resort. It was great for exploring Southern California but it was a bit far from Disneyland if that is your focus.
Is the Marriott Newport Coast on land originally owned by Disney? I think it was intended to be the site of the first west coast DVC, before they changed their mind and decided to go with building a wing off the Grand Californian.

Edit: Any opinions on any other point based timeshare system for someone who will primarily visit Disney, but may also use elsewhere?

My wifes family are big into MVC. When we first started going to Disney World in 1993, we were always staying in the condos at Marriott World Center. Sable Palms and Imperial Palms.

Her parents bought into Old Key West in 1995. My wife and I started staying at different disney resorts when we would go down by ourselves and at MVC when we went with her family.

I will say this. Disney is a strong #1 for the "timeshare" experience. But Marriott is a close #2. Everything the do is 1st class. It is different then DVC, but good none the less.

When ultimately it was time for my wife and i to buy our own time share, it was a tough choice, but we went with Disney, just so we could stay "in the bubble"

One thing Marriott does have that Disney does not, is inventory. There are tons of "last minute" deals that pop up. 2br condos for $500 a week kind of deal. But you need to go on 7-14 days notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter