Marriott Village resort fee!!!!

MikeP: I'm glad that you had a good stay - we arrive in 8 days! We are looking forward to our vacation, but the more I hear about this resort fee, the more frustrated I get! As I stated before, I have never been informed by Marriott (I am a rewards member so they have my email, phone and address) of the resort fee. What's more confusing to me is the fact that some people are paying $5.50 and some are paying $7.50! My husband and I are not going to pay this fee, and we are planning on using their shuttles. If they need to charge for transportation or the complimentary breakfast, then they should increase their hotel rates, or inform customers at time of booking of their resort fee. This is not a financial issue for us at all, because an extra $5-7 per day is very minor, and we have paid resort fees at other hotel properties before. It is actually the fact that they seem to blatantly be withholding this information from guests until check-in because this way they are assured of actually collecting the fee. It is nice that they are refunding guests who do not use their services, but they really shouldn't be charging a resort fee in the first place. I would have no problem with them charging user fees for transportation, or breakfast because these are targeted fees. As soon as customers are adequately informed of the fees, they then can make a decision as to whether or not they are going to use these services. Marriott Village has their own website, and it states that they "offer transportation to Disney, Sea World, etc..", that they offer "complimentary breakfast at Fairfield and Springfield", and that they offer "kids' club with complimentary programs", NOWHERE on the website does it mention a resort fee for any of these services. Of course it does not say "free" transportation, but then they should make it their mandate to properly inform guests of any and all charges AT TIME of booking - but of course we all know why they don't do this, they would lose customers!
Tiger:jester:

When I booked my reservation a couple of months ago it did say on my confirmation that the cost didn't include the $5.50 PD village fee. I just booked another week on the website and got the same message, except the confirmation said the price didn't include the $7.50 village fee. I just really didn't consider it to be a big deal, and was glad that mine was refunded when we left since we didn't plan on using their transportation. I agree if they are going to charge the fee it should be told to you in advance. In my case it was.

Just returned. I was told both on 800 number and when I walked in about fee. I kinda think that a place where you can go and use any of three different pools is worth it. Also Fridge in room at Fairfields was nice extra. As was on-site poolside bars, and gated commumity after hours.

GrumpyEd - are you allowed to use all of the pools? When I called Marriott Village (at beginning of June), the reservationist said that they discourage this because they want guests to use the pools at their own resorts. My DH was kind of looking forward to using the indoor pool at the Courtyard. Did anyone ask for resort id?

By the way, it's not that I don't think the amenities at this hotel are not worth it, it's just that I have 2 different confirmations (one from website and one emailed from central reservations), as well as 3 different phone calls, and none of them mentioned the resort fee. When I checked my confirmation the other day after hearing about the fee, I noticed that someone changed my confirmation to show the $7.50 daily fee. Oh well, we'll see what happens when I check in next Wednesday.

One other thing, the other day you mentioned that you thought the hotels at Marriott Village were very good basic hotels. I was just wondering why you consider these to be basic properties? Sure they are considered value properties in the Marriott family, but you can't compare them to Days' Inn or Knight's Inn (both of which my DH & I have stayed during our high school days as track & field athletes). We really enjoy staying at Marriott Courtyard's and are looking forward to our stay at Marriott Village - once we get this resort fee straightened out (ha,ha)!

When we were there in April they didn't we were at the Fairfield and it was raining and storming all day and evening. We were told that we could use and of the pools so we went over to the Courtyard and used the indoor pool.

While no they didn't ask to see an id but, you couldn't get into the pool area without using your room key (credit card type). As a matter of fact I was reading a book while my DD swam and when a young boy swam under the indoor/outdoor wall he got out of the pool in the outdoor area and tried to open the door to come back in to the indoor area. He was locked out. I had to get up and let him in. This happened alot to various kids. So I guess if they didn't want you to pool hop they could keep you out with the key?? But like I said they told us we could use all the pools.

Also as I have said before it was a nice hotel area and I wouldn't mind staying there again at all. However the only places I have paid a resort fee before seemed like more expensive places. MOWC, and beach resorts with full use of beach equipment. I just think that these are the lower end Marriott hotels (no help with luggage, sit down restraraunts, etc.) and that is why I didn't expect to pay it here.

Thanks LisaRay for the info. My DH and feel the same as you regarding the resort fee - we have stayed at tropical resorts in Hawaii that charged a resort fee, but the amenities were incredible. And of course, we were informed of the resort fee at time of booking. We had no problem since we had a private beach, valet parking, daily newspaper, activities coordinator, lagoon and 4 pools, luau on premises, gated security, daily snorkeling, arts/crafts lessons, dance lessons, 24 hour room service, late check-out, free coffee and muffins, pool bar and nightly poolside entertainment, bell hops galore and beach hopping privileges at other private beaches, as well as unlimited phone calls and room charging for any purchases made in the boutiques, salon or art gallery that were on the premises. This was truly a resort! Thanks again for the info.

When I read that last post I was reminded of one "minor" disappontment. I was kinda susprised by the fact that I had to pay for my local phone calls. I would generally expect that at a low end (Motel 6 and the like) but I just didn't expect it here. What ever the case, I am sure you will enjoy your stay, I hope you are able to get your problem with the resort fee resolved.

Regarding the pool hopping, as was mentioned by someone above, one of the mothers in our group was told by Fairfield staff "we discourage" going to other pools. However, we figured if they truly wanted to "discourage" it, they would change the key situation so that room keys don't work for any pool. While our kids liked the Courtyard's pool best, they also spent a great deal of time in Fairfield's pool which usually seemed more crowded. I also feel with the resort fee, you are paying for ALL the village's amenities.
Also, Mike P., that's funny you mentioned about the local calls. We noticed we were not charged for the numerous local calls we made. We didn't know if that was their normal practice or because we're Marriott Rewards members. ??

Well after staying at hawthorn suites for a week I consider Fairfield a basic but new hotel. Let me tell you this they are so busy, busloads of brazillian tourists that that will not even notice you. The key to our room fit all of the pools doors and we swam in each one, yes you need a key to enter pool areas. As far as I am concerned the only way I would pay that fee if they let me use any pool I wanted. I think 7.50 is a bit steep, I paid 5.50. But as consumers we all have options. From what I understand the hotel industry is not doing that well. If enough people complain about fee they will have to do something. However I factured it into cost and was very pleased with cleaniness of hotel and location. I will most likely stay at courtyard next time they have nice balcony's. The suites were ok but not a seperate room, Hawthorn suites was definately nicer.

I am also a rewards club member, we made a number of calls and were probably charged for half of them.

Concerning the phone charges, I forgot to post what the front desk told me. While I was waiting to check-in at Fairfield, a woman was asking the front desk clerk about phone charges, and I asked her to repeat the information to me. If you are a rewards member and leave a credit card # on the folio, then local and toll free numbers are free. I had not planned to leave a cc # after the last stay at this Fairfield, but I did for the free calls.

I am both rewards member and left a cc, but was still charged for a few of my local calls. Earlier I said I was charged for about half of them, I just looked at my bill I was charged for 3 calls $1.50 I know we made probably at least that many per day. Must have been a mistake of some sort.

Adding extra fees to the room rate is one way for hotels to raise revenue without appearing to raise their rates. They nick you with extra charges for parking, telephone, resort fees, and now an energy fee at many hotels.

Last year there were a lot of posts about the Marriott Orlando World Center (MOWC) adding a $9.54/day resort fee. They backed down and lowered the fee, but also charged extra for the bus service to the parks.

We arrive at the Fairfield at Marriott Village on Wednesday morning. For those of you who just returned (GrumpyEd or MikeP), can you tell me if there are hairdryers and irons in the rooms? I usually always bring them with us, but most hotels have them in the rooms, and my DH wants us to pack as lightly as possible so that we have more room for souvenirs (go figure!) I also know that the rooms have fridges in them, which is also a nice surprise. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

We stayed at Courtyard and it had both an iron and a hair dryer. Have a great trip, I wish we were just now leaving to go.

Yes, I think there was a hairdryer in the room at the Fairfield. But, to make sure go to Marriott's web site and look it up it should tell you for sure.

We returned about about two weeks ago. There was a hair dryer and an iron in our room at the Fairfield. Good idea to pack light as storage space is limited in the rooms! Having a frig in the room was very nice. Have a good time. We really enjoyed the village.

Thank you all for the info! We are looking forward to our vacation since it's been 1 whole year since we were at Disney last!
Thanks again, Tiger:jester:

Tiger,
also don't know if you matters to you, but some of the rooms also offer microwaves, something i didn't know and didn't request, but some of the others in our group did.

Thanks Ginga for the info. on the microwave. I did not know about this - I'm not sure if we will have any use for a microwave, but this is good to know.
Thanks again, Tiger:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter