• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mary Poppins Returns

OhioStateBuckeye

DIS Veteran
I didn't see a discussion thread for the movie, so I figured I'd start one.

I have tickets tonight for the Alamo Drafthouse and I am excited, but trying to keep my expectations in check.

I enjoyed the movie when I was young, but it wasn't one of my absolute favorites.

I didn't see a discussion thread for the movie, so I figured I'd start one.

I have tickets tonight for the Alamo Drafthouse and I am excited, but trying to keep my expectations in check.

I enjoyed the movie when I was young, but it wasn't one of my absolute favorites.

So many reviews have t as really great and Blunt does a great job, etc. I mean nothing will be the original but sounds like they did as good as could have been expected and maybe even better than that

Basically I think people that go in wanting to enjoy it will and those that go in wanting to find faults will - by even some of them might come out feeling overall positive

I’m curious. I need to rewatch the first before I probably end up seeing this. Everything I heard so far is Emily is great, it’s a musical be prepared for songs, and songs aren’t as good as the first (no offense but that is an extremely lofty achievement so I’m taking that with a grain of salt). I’m hoping to check it out

I’m curious. I need to rewatch the first before I probably end up seeing this. Everything I heard so far is Emily is great, it’s a musical be prepared for songs, and songs aren’t as good as the first (no offense but that is an extremely lofty achievement so I’m taking that with a grain of salt). I’m hoping to check it out

I saw it this evening and I enjoyed it. I agree the songs weren't as good as the originals but enjoyable. Emily Blunt did a wonderful job. She stayed true to the character while still managing to put her own spin on it. Her Mary Poppins was perhaps a touch less sunshine and a tad more harsh I guess for lack of a better word. All in all it was really quite magical.

Yea we went last night as well. Very good IMO.

Will admit hearing Feed the Birds in the background (and Fly a kite as well) at one point gave the feels big time.

By the way, the whole thing is much more interesting after having watched Saving Mr Banks, at least for us anyway.

Last edited:

Seeing it Sunday, really looking forward to it. Poppins is my favorite Disney movie so I've been skeptical, but I've heard so many good things that I know I will enjoy it.

I'm sure it will be a wonderful movie. For the older crowd, it will come down to can someone other that Julie Andrews be Mary Poppins. Admittedly, she left some pretty big shoes to fill. Wonderful actress and singer.

I really enjoyed it. Feel free to read my review, spoilers in the spoiler tag at the end.

I liked the songs, and am willing to let them have some time to sink in. Someone could probably argue that the original Mary Poppins' songs just get catchier and more iconic the more you listen to them. So I'm willing to give these songs more than one listen to before I decide.

Turning Turtle was prob my least favorite song, and I think having Meryl Streep in the movie was more distracting than anything else. She wasn't really her character, it was oh look there's Meryl Streep.

The Place Where Lost Things go was appropriately sad, not a classic like Feed the Birds but come on, all us Disney fans just think of that being Walt's fav so it adds something.

I enjoyed A Cover is not the Book a lot, and I'm looking forward to listening to that one again.

Can You Imagine That was prob my second favorite, though I didn't enjoy the underwater visuals.

Trip a Little Light Fantastic was fun, I enjoyed all the Leery's with their Newsie esque dancing.

I was pretty worried about the movie at the beginning, the bath scene was probably my last favorite and I was not feeling it at that time.

I thought the actors were all decent. The middle boy was kind of bleh and Georgie stole the show. I thought Jane and Michael were just ok, but it wasn't really their role to shine.

Emily Blunt was a lot better than I thought she'd be. My favorite part of Julie Andrews' Mary was the sass and cheek that she brought to the role, and Emily Blunt definitely delivers on that.

This movie has a really epic surprise cameo in the end.

I was very excited to see Angela Lansbury, I guess that would have been Julie Andrews role if she had come back? I kind of don't understand though why Sherman did a cameo in Christopher Robin. He should have been playing the piano at the carnival for this movie instead.

I enjoyed the lighting of the movie. At the beginning all the scenes outside were bleary and grey, yet as the movie went on the outside landscape lightened up a lot.

I liked the smaller callbacks to the original. Like at the end the last shot of Jack you could kind of see a chalk drawing in the background.

Dick Van Dyke was the one big callback that I did enjoy, and geez he can still dance.

I did think it was kind of weird the entire movie was laid out in the paintings of every major scene in the opening credits. I knew it was going to end with Big Ben because that was in the opening credits.

I don't really think this is a movie you can judge right out of the gates. I'll have to wait until it comes out on home video or plays on the TV. Like I said originally, I liked the original when I was young but it wasn't my favorite. So I did enjoy this one a lot and am excited to add some songs to my playlist.

I had the chance to see it today but because I needed to rewatch the first one and also because it was just me and my friend today and we figured we’d rather have the whole family instead we saw Spider-Man instead. It was really good but it didn’t live up to the extremely lofty expectations I heard from the people that always seem to put on the non-Disney animated movies that turn out good. Sorry I felt like I needed to put my opinion in text for me to read so I can properly think about it, so that was for myself. Hoping Mary Poppins doesn’t turn out the same way with expectations!

ll have to wait until it comes out on home video or plays on the TV.
I agree. Maybe I expected too much (the first set such a high bar and still is my favorite Disney film), but it just wasn't the hit I had hoped for.

Emily Blunt was EXCELLENT as Mary Poppins. Lin-Manuel Miranda was great as Jack. They did a great job casting. However, the story was flat. Seemed they tried to pull every emotional cord at the beginning as the setup to pull you in.
* Death of the Mother
* House in dis-repair
* Children left to their own devices to show how "independent" they are.
* Foreclosure notice on the the house.
* The broken "priceless" "Royal Dalton" bowl

There were a lot of setups that just didn't make sense. Why was the purpose of Meryl Streep's "turtle" scene? She was great as the gypsy-cousin of Mary. If she was so good at fixing stuff, why was everything in her house broken? Mary and the kids never go back to pick up the bowl. Why not?

Didn't really see the love interest between Jane and
Jack
explored at all. I think something magical could come of that. But, it didn't.

The musical numbers were quite good and I think I need to listen to them some more. But, they all seemed very disconnected. Reminded me a lot of Mama Mia 2; the pieces seem to have been picked beforehand and the story written around them.

There's quite a bit more that I shouldn't go into until others have a chance to see it fresh. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. I so wanted to see a 5. But, maybe my expectations were too high!

I loved Mary Poppins Returns. Emily Blunt is a delightful Mary Poppins. Highly recommend!

There were a lot of setups that just didn't make sense. Why was the purpose of Meryl Streep's "turtle" scene? She was great as the gypsy-cousin of Mary. If she was so good at fixing stuff, why was everything in her house broken?

Well, I can explain that scene. The purpose was to teach the kids to look at things from a different perspective, which turns out to be the whole point of the movie. Also, the stuff in her house is not broken, it is all "fixed incorrectly" because of everything turning upside-down. The scene is analogous to the Uncle Albert scene in the first film.

Good insight, BrianL.

Thanks. I'm a professional nerd, so analyzing movies comes naturally. :)

I will say that that scene was not my favorite, and at first I was not feeling it. By the end of the number though, I found l was really liking it, especially how the kids participated and how they found uses for the bizarre items. Every time this movie made me feel trepidatious, it always won me over.

The original is one of my favorites so I went into this trying hard not to compare and don't feel like I did. I enjoyed the movie and didn't walk out wishing I'd waited until it was on dvd but I can't say anything more than meh. It almost felt formulaic like they had certain things from the first that they had to hit when it came to what MP does with the children. The storylines were good but it would have been nice to see more of what was different from the original than similar ones being the focus. It almost seems like it wasn't as whole of a movie but would have been if Jane's story had been more.

The music was good and I enjoyed the bits of instrumental pieces from the original they played. I did have a hard time with Colin Firth in his role but thought Meryl Streep did a great job and while they didn't laugh their way to the ceiling it was still fun.

Just saw Mary Poppins returns and I loved it. I did like the original but since I didn’t grow up with Mary Poppins I didn’t have that emotional connection like many growing up with Mary Poppins had. So in a way I felt that this version was “My Mary Poppins” similarly to how I feel that the new triology of Star Wars was also mine because I’m growing up with it. Emily Blunt was definitely the star of the movie and I thought she fit Mary Poppins really well. I really think fathers will be able to connect with Michael as I enjoyed his role in movie. Jane didn’t really add or take away from movie, I felt she was kinda just there. Lin is very talented and fit the role of Jack very well. All the kids were great but Georgie definitely was the star of the three. Meryl Streep’s character I felt was unnecessary and that was the only low light that I can think of. Ovarell I give it a 9/10.

It looks real good, but I would have preferred a reboot though. This is reminding me too much of Bryan Singers "Superman Returns". I should be able to see the new Mary as Mary.

I'm glad Julie Andrews isn't going to be in though. It always takes me out of the movie when people make cameo's like Stan Lee. No offense to him and may he rest in peace, but I realize when I see him it's just a movie and I'm looking at actors.

Just saw Mary Poppins returns and I loved it. I did like the original but since I didn’t grow up with Mary Poppins I didn’t have that emotional connection like many growing up with Mary Poppins had. So in a way I felt that this version was “My Mary Poppins” similarly to how I feel that the new triology of Star Wars was also mine because I’m growing up with it. Emily Blunt was definitely the star of the movie and I thought she fit Mary Poppins really well. I really think fathers will be able to connect with Michael as I enjoyed his role in movie. Jane didn’t really add or take away from movie, I felt she was kinda just there. Lin is very talented and fit the role of Jack very well. All the kids were great but Georgie definitely was the star of the three. Meryl Streep’s character I felt was unnecessary and that was the only low light that I can think of. Ovarell I give it a 9/10.
I agree with all of this. The more people see it the more I'm seeing the divide between those that grew up with the original thinking Returns was just ok. I never saw the original until a few years back and while I do love the original, I think this new one is also fantastic. The only scene I could do without was Meryl Streep's, and I had no idea that was Meryl Streep until after i saw the film.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter