Mask overstimulation and breaks

JenniBarra

Mouseketeer
I am a highly sensitive person, which means I have sensory processing sensitivity. It's considered a temperamental trait, not a disorder, but HSPs are subject to overstimulation.

Prior to being fully vaccinated against covid, I only wore KN95 masks in public. While those masks weren't prone to being sucked into my mouth when breathing heavily or talking, they get to feeling muggy inside pretty quickly. (One of my pet peeves as a HSP is wet denim clinging to skin.) I wasn't out of the house that much, though, so the duration of wearing one wasn't hours long.

While I was waiting out the two weeks after my second Pfizer dose, I purchased an array of masks to try out. The process has been like being Goldilocks or the princess and the pea where I try out a different one each time I leave the house (and I am leaving my house more now) and find one thing or another that is bothersome. This weekend I finally just ordered some masks from various vendors that are being touted as "sensory friendly masks." Hopefully, they will all arrive in time for our upcoming WDW trip.

Knowing that I am going to be faced with longer periods wearing masks while on this vacation and more active, humid conditions, I want to pre-emptively prepare for knowing my options for mask breaks. I've found references on various web sites as to where I can find all of the "relaxation stations." What hasn't been so clear to me is what the protocol is for snacking and/or taking water breaks. I had figured these could double as opportunities to have some mask breaks. I am aware that there is no eating or drinking while moving so you must be stationary when doing so. Obviously, dining locations have tables, but what happens if you purchase something from a cart or want to eat something from your own backpack? Are there designated zones for this kind of eating/drinking, or is it enough to step away from traffic paths and other people? Are CMs asking people to mask up and move along if they think a guest is loitering too long while snacking/drinking?

TIA!

Have you looked at the silicone frames you wear under the masks? I know they help me with the argh, the damn fabric is in my mouth AGAIN feeling.

We were there in Feb, and the rule seemed to be step off out of the way and unmask to eat or drink then put the mask back on and be on your way. Finding seating can be a challenge, but the big thing is being out of the way of others.

You can totally just buy a snack or drink and step to the side to take a break. There are no designated areas for snacking and no one will ask you to put your mask back on if you are stationary. Theoretically you are supposed to a actively eating or drinking, but doesn’t mean you have to put it on between bites, just that you can’t sit down without any food or drink and take your mask off.

Basically, the rules for when you can remove your mask are:
  • You must be socially distant
  • You need to be stationary
The two points above must be followed no matter what to remove your mask.

Additionally, at least one of the following must also be true to remove your mask:
  • You need to be eating or drinking (have food in front of you)
  • You are in a relaxation zone
  • You are taking an Outdoor photo, but only during the photo. This includes taking photos with photopass photographers at thier direction, but you can be taking a selfie as well.
The last one is very new and a very welcome change.

Have you looked at the silicone frames you wear under the masks? I know they help me with the argh, the damn fabric is in my mouth AGAIN feeling.

I tried one of those out recently, but then it felt like I had traded in the fabric in my mouth feeling with the pressure of the bracket against my face. :( One of the features common to the various sensory masks I came across is that they are of "box" design, which is supposed to create a gap over the mouth that doesn't collapse in on itself.

Thanks for the info and advice, all.

The mask style that the CMs in the parks have help a lot for me.

A CM friend was able to get me one when Disney offered to sell them ones with different prints and it made a world of difference, but they could only get me one.

So, I have found a laid off CM in a FB group that makes them, they aren't completely identical of course, but they are close enough and you don't feel like you are breathing in fabric. And a bonus, they don't pull on your ears, neither do the actual ones. Overall they are as close as I could get to feeling like you aren't wearing a mask as you can while still feeling like wearing a mask.

I am not sure what the rules are about posting about the FB group or person are here, but feel free to PM me and I can direct you to them, hopefully that is within the rules, not trying to break any, just trying to give you a tool that might help.

I am not sure what the rules are about posting about the FB group or person are here, but feel free to PM me and I can direct you to them, hopefully that is within the rules, not trying to break any, just trying to give you a tool that might help.

You have been PM'ed. Thanks. :)

I've found that the masks I make with a very thin fleece layer between the two cotton fabric ones helps the mask hold its shape around my face and makes a nice air pocket in front of my mouth. I use a soft cord elastic to hold it in place. Some people cut the elastic to make ear loops, but I like the straps to go behind my head.

I just got back from my second trip during COVID and I struggle with masks in warm weather and have sensory issues related to being autistic. I found it pretty easy to take short breaks for drinks and eating and it was very helpful to be able to take those little breather breaks. Only thing to note is that you are not allowed to eat or drink once in line anymore. I always keep a thermos with an ice cold beverage to sip as needed and I did occasionally take a quick drink in line, but they do remind everyone that it's not allowed.

As long as you are distanced and standing still (and not blocking a walkway) you can stop and take a drink wherever you'd like. We did this just about anywhere in all three parks without a problem. Just kind of stepped off to the side. And I didn't end up needing to go to the actual relaxation stations for a mask break because I had the other opportunities.

I will say that we had one day where the humidity actually kicked in and it made it drastically harder to manage for me. So if you have an opportunity to go at a less humid time of year I'd opt for it. Even indoors it was harder to manage that day. Luckily, it was our departure day so we were only in the park for a few hours, but it was easy to see for myself that going any closer to summer would not be an option for me until masks are no longer needed.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

My daughter has a sensory processing disorder(wet clothes touching her skin is a BIG thing for her) and these mask(while expensive) are great! Like the KN95 OP mentioned they also have a "beak" that keeps the mask off of your face. In addition they have excellent airflow.

"https://www.happymasks.com/"
https://www.happymasks.com/
Our 4 year old recently started in-person school again and previously he had a hard time keeping a mask on more than an hour or so before it bugged him. He wears the Happy Mask for four hours straight without a peep.

As long as you are distanced and standing still (and not blocking a walkway) you can stop and take a drink wherever you'd like. We did this just about anywhere in all three parks without a problem. Just kind of stepped off to the side. And I didn't end up needing to go to the actual relaxation stations for a mask break because I had the other opportunities.

That's really helpful to know, especially in that just taking those short breaks were enough to help you get by. I know that the CMs are challenged enough by people who aren't considerate so I don't want to inadvertently do something that might end up being problematic.

I will say that we had one day where the humidity actually kicked in and it made it drastically harder to manage for me. So if you have an opportunity to go at a less humid time of year I'd opt for it. Even indoors it was harder to manage that day. Luckily, it was our departure day so we were only in the park for a few hours, but it was easy to see for myself that going any closer to summer would not be an option for me until masks are no longer needed.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

I hear ya. Had we both been vaccinated earlier in the year, we would have selected an earlier travel time for sure. (We typically go to WDW in January or February.) We have already decided that, if something arises that causes us to need to postpone, we would reschedule for fall.

My daughter has a sensory processing disorder(wet clothes touching her skin is a BIG thing for her) and these mask(while expensive) are great! Like the KN95 OP mentioned they also have a "beak" that keeps the mask off of your face. In addition they have excellent airflow.

Our 4 year old recently started in-person school again and previously he had a hard time keeping a mask on more than an hour or so before it bugged him. He wears the Happy Mask for four hours straight without a peep.

I've seen ads for them on Facebook, but the expense was giving me pause. It's good to know that your family has had success with them.

Again, I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I purposely posted in this section rather than the theme parks board because I figured I could directly reach other people who experience sensory overwhelm themselves or have family members that do. (And you don't think it's odd for someone who experiences sensory overwhelm to like going to a highly stimulating place like Disney World! Even my own husband puzzles at what he sees as a contradiction.)

Wow, those look like they are very, very close to the CM style ones.

Ok, looking closer, they are similar, but I think the CM ones are just a bit better.

That's really helpful to know, especially in that just taking those short breaks were enough to help you get by. I know that the CMs are challenged enough by people who aren't considerate so I don't want to inadvertently do something that might end up being problematic.

I hear ya. Had we both been vaccinated earlier in the year, we would have selected an earlier travel time for sure. (We typically go to WDW in January or February.) We have already decided that, if something arises that causes us to need to postpone, we would reschedule for fall.

I've seen ads for them on Facebook, but the expense was giving me pause. It's good to know that your family has had success with them.

Again, I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I purposely posted in this section rather than the theme parks board because I figured I could directly reach other people who experience sensory overwhelm themselves or have family members that do. (And you don't think it's odd for someone who experiences sensory overwhelm to like going to a highly stimulating place like Disney World! Even my own husband puzzles at what he sees as a contradiction.)
Both DH and I have some sensory issues and love Disney World, you just have to know your limits and manage them. Also, not all stimulation is the same. Some have touch issues, some have sight and sound, etc.

Only you know what you can and can't handle.

Maybe, using multiple masks and changing them every so often might help. I have seen a few masks that offer a built in fan. Maybe a neck fan pointed toward the mask might help.

Find and use as many relaxation zones as you can. Take a break from the park and come back later.

Maybe, using multiple masks and changing them every so often might help. I have seen a few masks that offer a built in fan. Maybe a neck fan pointed toward the mask might help.

Find and use as many relaxation zones as you can. Take a break from the park and come back later.

Any mask that has an intake valve for the fan would not be allowed at WDW, would it? The ones I saw on Amazon have an opening on the side.

Look into Lululemon masks with the ear-loops (not the around-the-head kind). They're very breathable and when worn loosely you can barely feel them at all! I have sensory issues on my face as the result of a nerve-damaging surgery and they're the only ones I can tolerate. Just got back from WDW and they were a lifesaver!

When I have to wear a mask for long periods of time at work, I actually prefer the disposable ones. They have the wire for my nose, so I can adjust them to fit my face and the fabric barely touches my mouth. I carry face wipes to take care of the humid feeling that can build up and i replace the mask with another if I sneeze or things just get too humid.

I am back from my trip and gradually getting back into the swing of things.

As for sensory friendly masks, I found that I like the sensory friendly design from Sew Mia Studios on Etsy. The "box" design retains a pocket so that it doesn't come into contact with my mouth. They also come with a choice of "ear saver" (button or velcro - I have one of each), but I found that the elastic ear straps are long enough that they didn't tug or pull so I haven't even tried any of the ear savers yet.

While the locals said that the weather was actually "mild" for the time of year, the humidity was enough to drive up the "feels like" into the 90s. (I live in a climate where it is often in the 90s or even low 100s on summer days, but we're still having spring temps and it's a dry heat anyway so we are not acclimated yet for summer weather!) As a result, I ended up relying more so on paper disposable masks that I changed out multiple times a day.

We did take a lot of breaks off the main path to both hydrate and give me opportunity to be briefly out of my mask. We did not hit a relaxation station (Pizzafari dining area) until our final day, at Animal Kingdom. It was increasingly warmer each day of the WDW portion of our trip so it was just as much a break from the warm weather as it was a mask break.

If I were to return under current mask restrictions, I think I would want to time it for a cooler period, like when we typically go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter