Masking on Ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this latest strain it seems you can get it no matter how careful you are.
We were and continue to be vigilant with vaccinations, boosting and masking. Other than my daughter, who is a teacher and has had it twice, everyone has managed to not catch it until this month. Everyone of us- me, my grandson, 2 daughters and 2 son-in-laws have gotten it within the last month. There seems to be almost no avoiding this one and not much assurance that we can't easily catch it again. We are within our 90 day window, but unfortunately since we home tested and no need to see a Dr due to symptoms, there is no real record of our infections so can't get letters of recovery. Honestly, they should drop the letter of recovery option. Since there doesn't seem to be much protection from re-infection, the fact that you had it in the last 90 days doesn't mean you can't get it again. Either test everyone or test no one. I'm beginning to wonder if they'll go back to more restrictive measures at some point, but it appears as though loosening them is more likely. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it one way or the other.

We were and continue to be vigilant with vaccinations, boosting and masking. Other than my daughter, who is a teacher and has had it twice, everyone has managed to not catch it until this month. Everyone of us- me, my grandson, 2 daughters and 2 son-in-laws have gotten it within the last month. There seems to be almost no avoiding this one and not much assurance that we can't easily catch it again. We are within our 90 day window, but unfortunately since we home tested and no need to see a Dr due to symptoms, there is no real record of our infections so can't get letters of recovery. Honestly, they should drop the letter of recovery option. Since there doesn't seem to be much protection from re-infection, the fact that you had it in the last 90 days doesn't mean you can't get it again. Either test everyone or test no one. I'm beginning to wonder if they'll go back to more restrictive measures at some point, but it appears as though loosening them is more likely. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it one way or the other.

I agree. It seems "you" are going to get it eventually so what is the point of testing. Going forward, hopefully it will be like a bad cold and people will get it from time to time. I don't believe it will ever go away completely. I tested positive recently (vaxed and boosted) and had one really bad day but then just a cough. I was positive on a home test and did go get a PCR to confirm. Waiting on those results just so I have a record of it. My friend is vaxed and double boosted and got it recently as well.

MJ

My friend is vaxed and double boosted and got it recently as well.
My elderly mother is also double boosted and has it now. She's doing fine- feels good actually. She was only testing because she was exposed to someone else who had it. I'm boosted and cannot avoid the virus due to my job (elementary teacher). I can't hide from exposure during work, so I'm not going to hide during my vacation, either. I am not going to test myself every day or every week. At a certain point you just have to live your life.

I agree with your earlier comment about how no one should (or typically does) comment on anyone else's decision to use masks or not. It's a personal choice. Their efficacy is not something that can be debated on the boards, so I won't get into that here. I'll just say that I only wear them where they are mandated, and at this point I would not choose to vacation somewhere where they are mandated. Fortunately, this is no issue on a cruise, and I don't anticipate it becoming an issue, because so many people have the same outlook on this.

Last edited:

unless the line requires it, don't expect a lot of masking among the passengers. The crew likely will wear them, because they are still required to.

personally in the absence of symptoms I might do one test before going to work, and no more unless symptoms develop.

Last edited:
I agree. It seems "you" are going to get it eventually so what is the point of testing. Going forward, hopefully it will be like a bad cold and people will get it from time to time. I don't believe it will ever go away completely. I tested positive recently (vaxed and boosted) and had one really bad day but then just a cough. I was positive on a home test and did go get a PCR to confirm. Waiting on those results just so I have a record of it. My friend is vaxed and double boosted and got it recently as well.

MJ
It’s like a cold now, and not even a bad cold. When I got Omicron in January it was like one of the mildest colds I have ever had.

With this latest strain it seems you can get it no matter how careful you are.
Yes! I keep reading more and more instances of people who were vaccinated, double boosted and wore masks and still got it. For one thing on my cruises the people who were masked were wearing cloth masks which definitely don't seem to work against this variant. Anyone who is concerned should get N95 masks

It’s like a cold now, and not even a bad cold. When I got Omicron in January it was like one of the mildest colds I have ever had.
That’s your experience—not everyones. Hard to tell everyone it’s not even a bad cold when people have such a wide range of severity and signs. And you don’t know what it’s going to be like for you until you get it

MJ
Well, IMHO the point of testing is so you don't infect others for whom it could be a much bigger health issue.

Yes! I keep reading more and more instances of people who were vaccinated, double boosted and wore masks and still got it.
They got it....... and were 100% fine, right? Maybe some sniffles and a cough? I don't understand this ingrained fear that has taken hold of everyone that "testing positive" is this nightmare scenario. If you test positive and aren't sick, then nothing bad actually happened to you.

My entire family of 7 tested positive at the end of our Alaska sailing. Two double-boosted-and-masked seniors, two adults vaxxed and boosted, one vaccinated kid, and two unvaccinated under-5s. Total medical consequences for the family consisted of one rough night of sleep for the baby. Total travel and financial consequences imposed by Disney Cruise Line and the Canadian government consisted of several thousands of dollars of direct costs, several thousands of dollars of lost income, three straight meals where nobody would bring us any food, and a week of extreme stress.

For one thing on my cruises the people who were masked were wearing cloth masks which definitely don't seem to work against this variant. Anyone who is concerned should get N95 masks
N95 masks aren't going to make a hill of beans difference the second you enter the dining room. If you're legitimately concerned, you probably shouldn't sail yet.

They got it....... and were 100% fine, right? Maybe some sniffles and a cough? I don't understand this ingrained fear that has taken hold of everyone that "testing positive" is this nightmare scenario. If you test positive and aren't sick, then nothing bad actually happened to you.

My entire family of 7 tested positive at the end of our Alaska sailing. Two double-boosted-and-masked seniors, two adults vaxxed and boosted, one vaccinated kid, and two unvaccinated under-5s. Total medical consequences for the family consisted of one rough night of sleep for the baby. Total travel and financial consequences imposed by Disney Cruise Line and the Canadian government consisted of several thousands of dollars of direct costs, several thousands of dollars of lost income, three straight meals where nobody would bring us any food, and a week of extreme stress.

N95 masks aren't going to make a hill of beans difference the second you enter the dining room. If you're legitimately concerned, you probably shouldn't sail yet.
I’m just curious why you all were tested during your cruise. I’m sorry that happened to you. I don’t get the ingrained fear either unless it means you don’t get on the cruise or the financial implications as you described.

In answer the original question I think I saw a handful of people wearing a mask on our April cruise. I’m in London now for a Saturday cruise no one masks in this city. I shouldn’t say nobody but maybe one in 500 people. I don’t expect to see a lot of masking on the cruise. I did not even pack any masks so if any policy’s change they better provide them.

They make unvaccinated under-5s test on the last day. If one of them is positive, they test all close contacts.
What a bummer. I hope you enjoyed your cruise before that happened. We are cleared to sail. I’ve had Covid twice both times so mild that if their wasn’t a pandemic going on and I didn’t get paid Covid time off I would have just gone to work and thought nothing of it.

Time to close this thread
Or you could just not read it? I find it interesting and it mostly seems to be staying within the bounds of the rules. It's so odd to me that people prefer gatekeeping over skipping a thread that is clearly labeled with a topic they don't find interest in or that may contain opinions they don't agree with.

Last edited:
My son in law just had his second case within 30 days just last week. Unfortunately with this new strain it doesn't seem to provide much protection against reinfection. His latest bout was much milder that the previous one though.
Well, that's pretty discouraging. :( Glad it was milder for him.

Well, IMHO the point of testing is so you don't infect others for whom it could be a much bigger health issue.
Exactly. The focus on "you're fine" with the complete ignoring of the other people you might infect is frustrating. Someone who 'felt fine' just brought COVID into my father's memory care unit and they now have a full-on outbreak. Several residents with advanced Alzheimers who developed COVID during that outbreak, including my father, have stopped eating and aren't expected to last the week.

Last edited:
We’ll be masking onboard. We have plans for travel in Europe after the cruise that I don’t want curtailed by covid.

I 100 percent don’t mind being the only ones masking either. My kids are used it as they were the only kids still masking at school at the end of the year. I have stocked up on n95s for our trip.
Have a great trip!! See my previous post, pasted below about N95 masks...
"Hi,
I have a little FYI to share about N95 masks - and I only know this as a nurse told me.... A N95 mask has to be properly fitted. Each person has to go to someone who knows how to do this and have a fitting done to each one's individual face - otherwise it's just a regular mask. When the N95 masks became available awhile ago now, where I live, the nurses had to go into the hospital and each one have a fitting done. This nurse told me she even had to have it re-fitted because it wasn't sitting correctly on her face. So, I wonder how many people out there that are wearing N95 masks thinking they have N95 protection and don't because they didn't have a proper fitting done? Hope I didn't freak anyone out, but I wanted to share what I know."

"Hi,
I have a little FYI to share about N95 masks - and I only know this as a nurse told me.... A N95 mask has to be properly fitted. Each person has to go to someone who knows how to do this and have a fitting done to each one's individual face - otherwise it's just a regular mask. When the N95 masks became available awhile ago now, where I live, the nurses had to go into the hospital and each one have a fitting done. This nurse told me she even had to have it re-fitted because it wasn't sitting correctly on her face. So, I wonder how many people out there that are wearing N95 masks thinking they have N95 protection and don't because they didn't have a proper fitting done? Hope I didn't freak anyone out, but I wanted to share what I know."
As someone who has done the fit testing, this is true. Most casual users are not going to get the full protection of an N95 because it might not fit correctly/or the user might never be able to be fit correctly (very small or large face/ facial hair/etc). However, the material with which an N95 is made will give superior protection to a cloth or even surgical mask as long as you only use it one time and take it on and off properly. So it is still better protection even without it truly fitting 100% correctly. But this is good information for people to be aware of/ that there are limitations to this type of mask.

"Hi,
It’s also not effective once it’s moist. So basically it’s good for 15 minutes or so. It’s a one time use mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter