• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Masks off for Photos??

See, if they're doing outdoor non-mask photos, that's a game changer. I'd buy the photo package, then, but I don't want to pay, essentially a fortune for a few photos with masks on.

I'm thinking I'll wait until I'm on the ship and if we get a few that we can use, I'll just buy those, rather than the whole bunch. It's cheaper to buy before getting on the ship, but I think it's also easier to buy when I'm sure I want the package.

We're all adults, so it's not like we're going to be getting a Princess meet and greet or much in the way of impromptu photos anyway.

Just read one of the above posts which said that keeping a mask off for the duration of a meal is against cdc policy. What is anyone suppose to do lower mask take a bit pull mask up chew swallow repeat. That will take an awful long time to finish a meal.

Just read one of the above posts which said that keeping a mask off for the duration of a meal is against cdc policy. What is anyone suppose to do lower mask take a bit pull mask up chew swallow repeat. That will take an awful long time to finish a meal.

On my plane to hawaii I literally saw people extend their mask put food and release their mask on their face again…insanity.

I had the mask on pre-board photo. I normally feel so excited when I have Disney photos taken. I remember it being very weird for me, I had this strong annoyed feeling taking off my purse and lanyards trying to straighten our clothing out and seeing my family with a mask on. I feel awful that I found anything with Disney annoying. It’s like hating your child. I couldn’t even bring myself to look at the photos online/kiosk. I pre-paid for the photos biggest package they have like I always do. A few days into the cruise a CM told me I would be refunded my package after I told her I purchased it. I hadn’t even asked for a refund yet. And she did refund it. A few days later I heard her telling someone they were going to start outdoor photos that night without masks.

I felt the opposite. Im just back from Disneyland California and used Photopass for the first time in over 10 trips. I kept my mask on for all photos and for the first time in my life I didn't feel self conscious or awkward getting my photo taken. I felt so comfortable posing with the mask on and the Photopass photos are some of the nicest photos I have ever seen of me. I wasn't sure if I would get Photopass on my September Disney cruise but after such a great experience at Disneyland I will most likely buy it for the cruise. I will be wearing masks on my cruise, even if DCL are not requiring them, so I will keep my mask on for the photos on the cruise.

I felt the opposite. Im just back from Disneyland California and used Photopass for the first time in over 10 trips. I kept my mask on for all photos and for the first time in my life I didn't feel self conscious or awkward getting my photo taken. I felt so comfortable posing with the mask on and the Photopass photos are some of the nicest photos I have ever seen of me. I wasn't sure if I would get Photopass on my September Disney cruise but after such a great experience at Disneyland I will most likely buy it for the cruise. I will be wearing masks on my cruise, even if DCL are not requiring them, so I will keep my mask on for the photos on the cruise.

Odd. But this should be an option if you feel comfortable fine. What on earth am I going time do with masked photos though that cover almost half my face?

At this point, I feel like wearing masks is part of the experience. When I look back on the photos I'll always remember our cruise during the pandemic and all of the fun we had despite the restrictions. I'll remember how few passengers were in the ship and how happy we were to be able to start traveling again.

At this point, I feel like wearing masks is part of the experience. When I look back on the photos I'll always remember our cruise during the pandemic and all of the fun we had despite the restrictions. I'll remember how few passengers were in the ship and how happy we were to be able to start traveling again.

I am glad some can see it this way, but for us its the complete opposite. I don't want to look back at photos of my kids in masks, we have a few and that is plenty. I won't pay extra for photos with masks either. But it is okay since we have gotten to try places we hadn't been before during this time and still had a great time. I do hope to return to cruising but if not there is plenty of adventures out there.

In January 2021 we went to WDW for our son's 21st birthday. (We were supposed to run marathon weekend too, but he begged us to keep the trip, even if we weren't running.) It's a little disappointing that it might have been our last trip together and almost all of our photos have masks on, but they did make for an appropriate Christmas card. That being said, it's over a year later, and with the policies in place for vaccination+social distancing of character photos, not being able to remove your mask for a 30-second photo op is bizarre to me. I'm really hoping this changes by this summer. I cannot imagine paying for the photo package of a bucket list cruise to be wearing a mask in all of our photos.

You can take photos in WDW indoors with characters again you can stand shoulder to shoulder in fireworks and all other cruise lines have rolled back it’s just nonsense now

It really is. Plus, at this point there is enough knowledge of who is high eat risk for a severe outcome if they catch covid that they can make their own decision on what they feel is best choice of vacation for them. Cruising is a privilege not a necessity and no one is forcing someone to travel.

Thank you all for your updates. Hoping something changes soon! My friend who just got off the Dream last week said the vacation was just OK and the worst part was all of her photos had masks. I felt a little responsible because I was the one who told her how fabulous the Disney Cruises were :(. I do know this was something they changed in August, so here's to hoping that is another change that is made since other ships are making them optional altogether by March 1.

Thank you all for your updates. Hoping something changes soon! My friend who just got off the Dream last week said the vacation was just OK and the worst part was all of her photos had masks. I felt a little responsible because I was the one who told her how fabulous the Disney Cruises were :(. I do know this was something they changed in August, so here's to hoping that is another change that is made since other ships are making them optional altogether by March 1.
My Granddaughter is almost 3 and all our photos of her in the last nearly 2 years are with masks. Just the reality of the time, and I think she may find those photos interesting to show her Grandchildren decades from now and explain the times. Her sibling is scheduled to be born by C-Section on Saturday, and we won't meet that Grandchild until he or she is 2 months old due to current protocols as we are not in my DS, DDIL and DGD bubble.
Just like the pictures of me at that age getting the Salk Vaccine for Polio, or of kids in school doing the duck and cover during nuclear attack drills.
So these cruise photos will also be a slice of what was life was like at the time they were taken.

Well it seems like things are heading in the right direction thankfully with Covid numbers. With almost all cruise ships making masks optional but Disney. Looking forward to my next cruise where Covid won't be a thing anymore!

That's also what the airlines tell you to do and what the CDC requires.
I've flown several times since the pandemic started (United and American), and have never been told or seen anyone else eating or drinking be told to do that. You can keep your mask completely off until done eating or drinking, according to CDC rules.

From the CDC website:

While in indoor areas of conveyances or while indoors at transportation hubs, people are not required to wear a mask under the following circumstances:

• while eating, drinking, or taking medication for brief periods of time;

Obviously, you aren't supposed to nurse your beverage throughout the whole flight, but there is nothing at all indicating that you should just lower your mask to stick a bite of food in or sip from your drink, then chew & swallow with it back on. That level of hypervigilance is not required at all.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter