• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Masks?

Pretty much all the seamstress shops around me are making masks. It might be worth a to call your local tailor and see if they’re making masks.

I ordered a few off Etsy first and they were ok. The ones from my seamstress are fantastic. You can tell one is from somebody with a sewing machine and one is from somebody who makes a living sewing.

I've been improvising. Many I see around here are just using bandanas, although the size may be an issue depending on the size of the head. If I have to I've just used a camp towel using a clothespin clamping it in the back.

I actually have a few medical style masks. I didn't go out and buy them; my parents dropped them off and didn't tell me where they got them. But they look like real medical masks. And I've just been reusing them - hopefully getting at least a week out of them. It should be OK because this isn't a medical environment where they're supposed to be tossed after a single day. I'm not going to feel bad about not donating them. I'm actually down to one that hadn't been used. They also included some name-brand (Halyard - the former Kimberly-Clark Healthcare) kids' masks with a Disney pattern. They're supposedly for kids who are in waiting rooms and not sure if they're infectious, kids who are immunocompromised, or those visiting other patients (I guess to reduce infections). I'm really not going to feel bad about "denying" one of these to medical personnel. I've even heard of some hospitals rejecting some donated or hurriedly-obtained masks because they were kid sized ones.

c1486_child_face_mask_sell_sheet.pdf

I managed to get a single mask after taking my wife for a medical appointment. They gave her one sealed in a bag. I'm not quite sure who made it, although I suspect it may be some no-name product obtained from China since supplies are somewhat limited.

Sadly, no Aldi near me. :sad1:
My kid has been asking about Aldi. Found out about some specialty item they have. Not a single store anywhere in Northern California. They have owned Trader Joe's for 40 years though. They item my kid wants looks almost the same as one from Trader Joe's except for the individual flavors.

I ordered a mask for my son and I on the 14th and suppose to be here on the 27th. It is a washable with a removable filter. My son bought a box of black masks in the hardware area of Walmart that are thicker than the paper type ones given at the doctor's office and gloves so that is what we have been using. I have to be care due to myself lung issues and my daughter in the SNF.

Hubs made mine out of our sheets (We don't use the topsheet, just the fitted so yay no wasted fabric!) he had to fix up his sewing machine to do it but fabric stuff is all crazy out of my league so I'm thankful. Been wearing them on my work shifts and washing them after.

I've ordered from a few places.

First was: https://www.etsy.com/listing/778251070/white-flannel-adult-face-masks-with-zorb?ref=yr_purchases
Made in Colorado with 3 layers. Two white cotton flannel and an inner layer of ZORB material. They came in about 2 weeks. Good quality. I've requested that they make them in black also and I think the seamstress said she could do it.

Second (haven't received) is from a mask maker that's in my area but her shop is on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Lovelysewing?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=798511619

I've also ordered some from Vida: https://shopvida.com/
This was a family 4 pack with filters. They won't be here until the end of April.

I have made 35 in the last week. Most were just random quilt fabric I had after my mom passed, but I did have some Disney Vera Bradley fabric from years ago and made some for my DD and I. Mine probably look more like someone who has a machine than a seamstress, but everyone who has gotten them seems ok with them.

What is everyone who is using handmade ones using for the bendy part by the nose? I’ve tried picture-hanging wire, which is okay, and pipe cleaners which I didn’t like at all.

What is everyone who is using handmade ones using for the bendy part by the nose? I’ve tried picture-hanging wire, which is okay, and pipe cleaners which I didn’t like at all.

I have one that has a twist tie for a nose piece which works well but doesn’t feel very sturdy. Someone posted earlier in this thread (I think) that they found twisting together a few twist ties worked better than just one alone which makes sense to me.

One of our daughter's friend made us some, and my son's girlfriend's mom (a former nurse) also made us some.

I don't think that a form-fitting nose piece is strictly needed. With the (normally) disposable ones that we have for our kid, one was bent too hard and the metal broke right down the middle. The second one used had the seal broken where it poked out and eventually dropped completely out. That one was a soft steel band. I had one where the wire broke out. That one is basically like a twist-tie wire in a plastic sheath. I guess if you had to, then your could use twist ties, or maybe several together. The one in my medical mask is always bending away from how I'm trying to shape it.

There's no specific requirement that a "face covering" fit tightly to the nose bridge, although I suppose that helps just in case the user can't avoid a cough or sneeze. My kid was still using a mask after the nose piece fell out.

I made some from our home, shipped out to my ny family and over to my sil locally. I just ordered Disney fabric n some solid .. A week delivery. I’ve been doing much online thru Walmart site and choosing them as retailer.

I'm not sure how he got it, but my dad managed to find this medical style mask and gave it to me. It's pink (I'm secure enough in my manhood), comes in a single cellophane envelope with an adhesive flap, has the brand name "TONYI", and is heat stamped with "TONYI MASK" and "Made in Taiwan". I could find this:

http://www.tonyi.tw
I don't read Chinese, but fortunately Google Translate does:

This website has been temporarily closed by the store​
During the expropriation period, the official website is closed​

But the really odd thing is that it's just the filter material without any loops to attach to the ear (like a procedure mask) or around the head (like a surgical mask). I have no idea if this is supposed to be like that. It's go no instructions, and if it did I don't read Chinese. I guess if I really have to I can just reuse the loops from one of my old masks and attach them with hot melt glue.

I don't think that a form-fitting nose piece is strictly needed. With the (normally) disposable ones that we have for our kid, one was bent too hard and the metal broke right down the middle. The second one used had the seal broken where it poked out and eventually dropped completely out. That one was a soft steel band. I had one where the wire broke out. That one is basically like a twist-tie wire in a plastic sheath. I guess if you had to, then your could use twist ties, or maybe several together. The one in my medical mask is always bending away from how I'm trying to shape it.

There's no specific requirement that a "face covering" fit tightly to the nose bridge, although I suppose that helps just in case the user can't avoid a cough or sneeze. My kid was still using a mask after the nose piece fell out.

For me, the fitted nose part has to do with not getting fogged up glasses due to exhalation moisture going out the top of the mask.

I've read that you can also use a folded kleenex along the nose edge to catch that excess moisture, but I've not given that a try yet. I made 2 masks for everyone in our house (well, 3 for me :goodvibes ) One of the ones I made fit better than the others. Not sure why,I used the same pattern.

For me, the fitted nose part has to do with not getting fogged up glasses due to exhalation moisture going out the top of the mask.

I've read that you can also use a folded kleenex along the nose edge to catch that excess moisture, but I've not given that a try yet. I made 2 masks for everyone in our house (well, 3 for me :goodvibes ) One of the ones I made fit better than the others. Not sure why,I used the same pattern.

Well - I have a bunch of twist ties. These are shiny, colored ones meant for things like wrapping up party favor bags. I just tried using two of them in my kid's mask and it sort of works. I'd like to see if there's any way I can heat seal it. Maybe superglue? It seems almost

I also found out where my parents got their masks. They were handed out when they went to medical appointments. They literally had boxes of them in the waiting room for people to wear, and they just gave out more than they needed including the kids ones. This was pre-Covid-19. And you can find places that previously sold them. They're amazingly cheap if there's no price gouging going on. CVS has their house branded one. I wish I could buy two boxes of these, which seem to sell out quickly:

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-procedural-face-masks-with-earloops-prodid-310410
In an ideal world there would be enough disposable masks for anyone to just buy a box of procedure masks, use one per day, and toss in the trash. But there's no infrastructure to make enough for everyone to use in the way they're meant to be used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter