Massive Park-wide Breakdowns.

And I feel like "add-ons" onto what you were previously getting before is always going to be perceived negatively. I also think of the airlines adding on baggage fees and it costing extra to choose your seat on most of them these days. Bumping up the airfare itself would've caused less "nickel and dime" feelings, though it would've been the same net result. I've seen a lot of the same sentiment with Genie+ costing extra and my business degree'd self can't help but think it was overall a poor idea, though I certainly partake when I'm in the park now.
Ahh the airline deregulation act of 1978 at its finest. :rolleyes1

In addition to the temporary closures, I've also noticed an extremely high amount of effects not working on many, many attractions. While the rides may be running, the lack of maintenance is absolutely starting to show.

In addition to the temporary closures, I've also noticed an extremely high amount of effects not working on many, many attractions. While the rides may be running, the lack of maintenance is absolutely starting to show.

You can especially notice on recent ride videos on YouTube. "That effect is not working from what I remember when we rode that ride last, right?" constantly come up when we watch those newer videos.

Ugh, here now and both Space and Big Thunder are down. This is so annoying.

Although I guess their "strategy" worked. I purchased Genie plus because my 2 autistic kids have already started melting down from the massive wait times at every attraction we have gone to.

60 minutes for Autopia. Hard pass.

I used a gifted Disney GC to buy Genie. And I hated doing it.

Last edited:
Ugh. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Autopia with a wait that long. That is a bad sign.

But I though the point of reservations was to manage crowding and “improve the guest experience for everyone”? LOL

Starting to worry about our trip next month even though we are already expecting bad crowds!

Ugh. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Autopia with a wait that long. That is a bad sign.

But I though the point of reservations was to manage crowding and “improve the guest experience for everyone”? LOL

Starting to worry about our trip next month even though we are already expecting bad crowds!
It was bad.

We had to leave 3 hours after arriving because my son tripped going up some stairs and got so upset he couldn't calm down after trying for 30 minutes. Sigh. $60 wasted. What a bummer of a day. He was still crying an hour later and was saying "we can go another day...it was too crowded today and the lines were all too long...another day will be better." 😥

Autism sucks sometimes. Last time I buy Genie+, I'll tell you that much.

But I though the point of reservations was to manage crowding and “improve the guest experience for everyone”?
The point of reservations is so that they can staff to bare minimum levels since they know how many people are going to be in the park.

In the before times, the most glorious days were when the park was operating and staffed for heavy crowds but for whatever reason crowds were low.

We did a mid-July trip last year and it was absolutely fantastic! Family wants to go again this July since last was so fun, but it seems like quite a lot has changed in the last year and we are re-thinking things. Lots of reports recently of high crowds and ride breakdowns. Looking at the DL park app right now and Matterhorn, Haunted Mansion, and RSR are all down at the moment. So with those biggies down, plus a bunch down for refurb (Toon Town, POTC, Treehouse, Nemo, etc) the lines at the other rides are going to be worse than usual. Dang, we really want to go again soon but these reports are making me want to delay it a bit and hope it gets under control a bit more.

We did a mid-July trip last year and it was absolutely fantastic! Family wants to go again this July since last was so fun, but it seems like quite a lot has changed in the last year and we are re-thinking things. Lots of reports recently of high crowds and ride breakdowns. Looking at the DL park app right now and Matterhorn, Haunted Mansion, and RSR are all down at the moment. So with those biggies down, plus a bunch down for refurb (Toon Town, POTC, Treehouse, Nemo, etc) the lines at the other rides are going to be worse than usual. Dang, we really want to go again soon but these reports are making me want to delay it a bit and hope it gets under control a bit more.

Another thing to consider, last July, it was rumored the parks were only 60% capacity. So even without night time entertainment or fast pass/genie+, there really wasn't long wait times for the rides. Mostly due to the low capacity of the parks due to post pandemic re-opening.

Today, Disney hasn't confirmed but pretty sure there are no more capacity limits at the parks. Even with night time entertainment and genie+, it's would feel more crowded with the high capacity in attendance.

I still wouldn't let that effect vacation plans but definitely something to think about.

Ugh, here now and both Space and Big Thunder are down. This is so annoying.

Although I guess their "strategy" worked. I purchased Genie plus because my 2 autistic kids have already started melting down from the massive wait times at every attraction we have gone to.

I used a gifted Disney GC to buy Genie. And I hated doing it.
Your family seems like a perfect fit for the DAS pass. Genie+ isn't really necessary with the DAS pass and it is a lifesaver in terms of preventing meltdowns.

Your family seems like a perfect fit for the DAS pass. Genie+ isn't really necessary with the DAS pass and it is a lifesaver in terms of preventing meltdowns.
We have one. But the problem is, when ride wait times are all 60-90+ minutes, it's a long wait for return times with nothing else to go on that has tolerable waits. Or, when the rides your kid wants to go on are all down at the same time. The Teacups literally had a line wrapping all the way around and then down towards the Alice bathrooms. 30 minute wait for Teacups.

I only bought Genie because even though Space and BTMRR were down, they were still allowing booking LL times, so I wanted to line some things up for later. We used a DAS for Autopia, and had the 60 minute wait time before we could come back. We ended up on Splash Mountain by using the Multiple Experience pass from the down Space Mountain. And then our day went down the dark road...

We have one. But the problem is, when ride wait times are all 60-90+ minutes, it's a long wait for return times with nothing else to go on that has tolerable waits. Or, when the rides your kid wants to go on are all down at the same time. The Teacups literally had a line wrapping all the way around and then down towards the Alice bathrooms. 30 minute wait for Teacups.

I only bought Genie because even though Space and BTMRR were down, they were still allowing booking LL times, so I wanted to line some things up for later. We used a DAS for Autopia, and had the 60 minute wait time before we could come back. We ended up on Splash Mountain by using the Multiple Experience pass from the down Space Mountain. And then our day went down the dark road...

Just looked at the app again. Good news is Space Mtn is back up, bad news is.... 200 minutes!

IMG_3283.jpg

Yeah, it came back up around 1. Right around the time we bailed out.

Imagine getting a DAS return time for this now and the app being like "come back at 9:05pm." SMH.
Yeah, that's one reason we got Genie, even though my granddaughter uses a DAS. So while on normal waits we do a more chill activity, or quiet time bathroom break, snack. But on something like this, at least we can get a Genie return time for something else. Are they still doing posted wait -10 min, because with some of the backed up LL, I'm a little worried about my DAS user not making the more extended waits.

Yeah, that's one reason we got Genie, even though my granddaughter uses a DAS. So while on normal waits we do a more chill activity, or quiet time bathroom break, snack. But on something like this, at least we can get a Genie return time for something else. Are they still doing posted wait -10 min, because with some of the backed up LL, I'm a little worried about my DAS user not making the more extended waits.
Yeah, still posted wait minus 10, and actually you can redeem the return time starting 5 minutes early.

Why I think Disneyland has had so many ride breakdowns lately is because they are trying to do the very best they can to improve themselves after being closed for a year and when Disneyland reopened last year they have hired new staff to replace the staff that had quit or retired and they have to train the new staff on how to repair a broken ride or how to work it. And it's not just rides but also shows too that get cancelled too. Like let's say you're watching the Main Street Electrical Parade and five minutes into the parade they announce that the parade has gotten cancelled due to the lights going out on some floats. And the same thing applies to rides as well. Like I cannot imagine getting stuck on Space Mountain or Pirates Of The Caribbean with kids that are freaking out because the ride is stuck. And what Disneyland should do is offer guests two options either a Disney gift card or refund guests a small amount of money to return to the park on a later future day when rides are working but what people should do when they plan a visit to Disneyland is to call the park the day before and ask what rides will be operating during their visit and if the certain ride is closed people should take the time to do stuff like see shows character meet and greets and shop

The point of reservations is so that they can staff to bare minimum levels since they know how many people are going to be in the park.

In the before times, the most glorious days were when the park was operating and staffed for heavy crowds but for whatever reason crowds were low.
This exactly. Its how all corporations run labor now…

It has little to do with servicing guests and everything to do with saving labor for the stock crowds profits….

People will not continue to stand for that level of service much longer. Unfortunately, it will be the low wage worker that feels it the most.

^^^ This.

I'm also high suspicious (based on some comments from Disney) that they are using reservations to guide guests to some of the less attended of their parks.

Wow that's insane, rides like Teacups or Autopia should at most have 20-30 minute waits. I can't imagine waiting 60+ minutes for them. You know its bad, when you look at the Disneyland and you see the Little Mermaid with 45-60 minute waits over in DCA. Although with all the ride breakdown, I guess people just flock to whatever ride is working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter