Math help

irish dancer

DIS Veteran
DD10 is struggling a bit in math. We have flash cards for multiplication but are looking for something a bit more "fun". Does anyone know of any good online resources for math fact practice?

TIA

multiplication.com is a great website for practice, lots of different games and quizzes. As I recall she can also register and it will track her progress!

while it may not be fun for all my dd enjoyed timing herself on www.multiplication.com

DD uses this as well.

You might take a look at everydaymath.com as well.

And for multiplication tables, it helps to learn the pneumonic device rules...

0 x anything is 0
1 x anything is itself
5 x anything has to end in 5 or 0
9 x single digits = the single digit -1 in the tens place and then the ones place has to be a digit that when added to the 10s place makes 9 (9x3=27... 3-2 = 2 (so 2 in the tens place) 2+7 = 9 so 7 in the ones place)

Also all numbers divisible by nine will have digits that add up to a multiple of nine. (same for numbers divisible by 3s)

Lots of little tricks you can learn to help her remember those facts. We've had trouble with that as well, but it really does help once they have those down. :)

My DD's teacher told me about a game to play with her. She struggles in math as well.

Take a deck of cards pass them out evenly. The ace are ones, the jacks are 11, the queens are 12 and the kings are 13. If you want to go that high. You can pick and choose what you want the face cards to be. You both put down a card from your pile. Say you put down a 2 and a 3 (2X3=6) Whoever gets the answer right keeps the cards. We play a few games a night and my DD looks forward to it. She has fun and learns at the same time.

My Dd also likes math fact cafe worksheets. IXL and study island. All online. I also bought her a math game for her DSi.

My DD's teacher told me about a game to play with her. She struggles in math as well.

Take a deck of cards pass them out evenly. The ace are ones, the jacks are 11, the queens are 12 and the kings are 13. If you want to go that high. You can pick and choose what you want the face cards to be. You both put down a card from your pile. Say you put down a 2 and a 3 (2X3=6) Whoever gets the answer right keeps the cards. We play a few games a night and my DD looks forward to it. She has fun and learns at the same time.

I played a similar game with my kids when they were learning their times tables except:
say we were working on the 7 table.
I'd lay a 7 card down on the table, and start the game by holding cards ace thru queen (we only went to the 12 table). DD would choose a card out of my hand and multiply it by 7. If she got the right answer, she kept the card. If she didn't get it right, I'd give her the answer, and the card would go back into my hand. The object of the game was for her to take all of my cards.
We'd play two to three hands a night, and at the end of the week she would know that table. It's a fun interactive way to learn the times tables. All of my kids liked to play this game.

....Study Island is great for practice....there's a membership fee though...

Wow! Thanks everyone!! So many choices! We'll start checking them out today. I especially like the card game as it is portable, we can play that while waiting for siblings to get out of activities, etc.

Timez Attack is a super-fun online multiplication game. My daughter loved it!
We had Timez Attack. I thought it was a lot more fun than my DD thought it was. Maybe a boy will like it more.

My DD struggled with multiplication tables until a tutor I hired made rhymes for the ones she was having trouble with. She and my DD sat down together to make the rhymes so it was more personal for her and they only made them for ones that she was forgetting. She went from a "C" student in math to an "A" student after she (1) nailed those multiplication tables making computation easier and (2) gained more confidence in math by doing so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter