Mauna Lani vs Hale Koe

Olaf

DIS Cast Member
I know this is a shot in the dark, but I'm hoping that some other DVCer out there has knowledge of both of these hotels. I know the Mauna Lani is a wonderful resort, but I was just wondering how the Hale Koe stacks up in comparison. The Hale Koe is a military hotel on Waikiki beach. Thanks so much,

Have seen Hale Koa from the outside only. It is in a good location on the beach next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Grounds are okay. You are comparing apples to oranges or should I say Chevy to Mercedes? Mauna Lani is a luxury resort with lush grounds and peaceful location. Hale is right in the center of a lot of action, next to shops, restaurants, nightlife. It depends what you are looking for- hotel or resort.

We have stayed at the Hale Koa many times and think it is a wonderful Hotel. The food is exceptional
and the pools and grounds are beautiful. As far as the rooms go, they are like any other hotel room. I'm not sure if this helps.....if you do not stay at the Hale Koa make sure you go to their luau, it is the Best!

We just got back from the Hale Koa 2 weeks ago. It was a wonderful place to stay in Honolulu for a few days after using DVC points for an II exchange on Kauai. I loved the Hale Koa! I think the grounds were just as pretty as the Hilton Village. Of course the best part is the prices!!!! Our room was $105. We asked the Hilton what their standard oceanview goes for and we were quoted a rack rate of $475. And of course there's no tax on military property. They have a full PX, sundries store, jewelry store, coffee bar, snack bar, lounge, and 3 different type of restaurants. We ate at all of the restaurants and found them to be very good. Again, gotta love military prices! We also went to the luau. It was entertaining, food was good, and we like the overall setup and grounds. They serve the food rather than cattling everyone through big buffet lines. Spa prices were also very cheap compared to other spas in the area. Hubby got an hour massage for only $50. Good thing the Princeville Kauai didn't have any openings- they would have charged $90. Check out their website- halekoa.com Considering how expensive Honolulu is, I think the Hale Koa is the best place to stay on Waikiki. Feel free to email me if you have any questions! Mahalo!

We just found out that going to WDW next May for our first big visit, ain't gonna happen. DH is being transferred and doing Disney in the summer is not my thing. We're going to be there in Sept before our cruise in a studio.

So, we have a ton of frequent flyer miles, and I have ressies for DS's Spring break at the beginning of Mar, staying 10 nights. We have to use our 2000 points, so we're looking into either an exchange or the Mauna Lani Bay. I know this isn't the best use of our points, but we're in jam. The plan is to do Hale Koa first and then finish with DVC.

We've never been to Hawaii before, so I'm tempted just to stay on the big island and see all we can. Ten days is not a lot of time, I wish we could stay longer. If we did Mauna Lani, that would be just about perfect, 5 days at Hale and 5 days on the other side of the island. The Concierge collection appeals to me because it's all cut and dried. The trades confuse me a little.

How does this plan sound? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I think staying at both places would be the best of both worlds- the fun and action of Waikiki and the laid back big island. 10 days is a great amount of time. I'm not sure if I read you correctly, but Waikiki (Honolulu) is on the island of Oahu and Mauna Lani is on the Big Island. It sounded like you said two sides of the same island in your post so just to clarify, you will have to fly to Kona Keahole airport to get to Mauni Lani- you can fly from LA or San Fran direct and avoid one extra interisland flight, then go over to Oahu and fly back from there (or vice versa). Good Luck!

Thanks Kem, it looks as if I need to learn to read a map. Thanks for setting me straight.

Keep in mind that nearly every hotel on Oahu (and probably the Neighbor Island too) has a military rate. All you have to do is ask. We used to stay at the Hale Koa for a weekend now and then, and it's a very nice hotel. We moved as they were constructing the new wing, but I've heard it turned out very nicely.

One of our favorite places to stay is called the Waikiki Joy Hotel. We used to get a military rate there similar to what we'd pay at the HK, and it's a much nicer hotel. Every room has a jacuzzi, either 2 doubles (queens? I forget) or a king bed, stereo system, balcony and so forth. It's a couple of blocks away from the HK, so we used to park in the military-only lot to save a few bucks.

As someone else noted, the Mauna Lani is on the Big Island. If you wanted to, you could check out KMC (Kilauea Military Camp) near the volcanoes on the Big Island. Cool place to stay too. It's an all-cabin resort for military personnel. Usually booked solid, but worth a shot if you're interested.

Have fun! I'm going back in August for my 20 HS reunion. Maybe I'll see you then?

(Feel free to e-mail if you have questions.)

Sign me, Homesick :)

just got back from Mauna lani and is the best resort i have ever stayed in. Staff is extremely helpful and probably better than disney staff.

There's certainly no comparison between the hotels. While the Hale Koa is nice enough, the Mauna lani is a world class resort. However, this being your first time, I'd recommend going to Oahu and spending at least half of your time there. There's just too much to see to not to go there. Don't miss Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Polynesian Cultural Center, National Cemetary, Waikiki itself, the North Shore, Pali lookout, etc. I'd say splitting your trip 6/4 or 7/3 would be ideal.

Mauna Lani is indeed a world-class place to stay. I've stayed only at the Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki and know nothing of Hale Koa. The Big Island is much more laid back than Honolulu. Do you want "action" or "tranquillity"?. I agree that the rest of OAHU offers many beautiful sites, but I prefer the Big Island. Have a great trip

Thanks for everyone's help on this. We currently have ressies for a ten day stay. I'm going to try and split it 6 on Oahu and 4 on the big Island. Now I just have to check into intra-island flights.

Again, thanks so much,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter